Ian Rice article on Barnums Pt 2

Hi All

I have a copy of the first article that appeared in the May 1980 edition of Model Railways but would like to obtain the second part. Can anyone tell me which edition the second part appeared in so I can track one down, or if anyone has a copy that I could buy I would be most grateful.

The reason being, I have the kit but need to build the early version with the short frame and this could save me a lot of work and/or mistakes as I alter it.

Thanks in advance.

Jim

Thanks Jol.

Unfortunately it has not pulled out what I need.

I have found a site that sells the 1980s 'Model Railways' magazine so I just need to find out which month it was printed in, I am sure I will get there in the end.

Jim

Jim,

sorry, I mis-read your post as MRJ, not Model Railways. I've had a look for other online indices but can't find one that shows what the original Model Railways magazines contained.

This site has some

http://britishrailwaybooks.co.uk/magazine/modelrailways.php

but only where the retailer has stock. Unfortunately there is nothing for the 1980 series.

Jol

• RMweb Premium

Are you sure there is a 2nd part?

Looking at the original article, the last section on page 298 is entitled 'Conclusions & Acknowledgements', which to me indicates that it is the only part. Not that I know much about the GWR!

The June issue has another article by Iain Rice, entitled "Iain Rice on loco construction 'The Poor Relation Part 1'". This covers general locomotive chassis construction & not specifically about the Barnums - indeed there is no mention.

Part 2 of this series continues in the October 1980 issue. There is going to be a 3rd part, but I haven't found it yet.

Iain Rice was very prolific in 1980, there is more than one series of his for that year (all on locomotive construction), for instance January has Part 1 of an article on the '517' Class. Part 2 in Feb.

If you need more info, I can look further, but these GWR locos confuse me.

:dontknow:

Kevin Martin

Hi Kevin,

Yes there is, or should be as halfway down the conclusions it says that Pt 2 will deal with the original design. The article may well be under 'Essays in etched Engineering'. I know that sometimes these articles could be months apart and may even have gone into the following year, in fact the 517 article continued on into the November issue.

If you could look again for me please I can then find out which one it is that I need and I will be a very happy man. The andi bradley site I was on does not detail the contents of each month so I can only go by what is in clear enough print on the front.

Thanks for looking anyway.

p.s. The GWR variations often confuse me too!!

• RMweb Premium

Hi Kevin,

Yes there is, or should be as halfway down the conclusions it says that Pt 2 will deal with the original design. The article may well be under 'Essays in etched Engineering'. I know that sometimes these articles could be months apart and may even have gone into the following year, in fact the 517 article continued on into the November issue.

If you could look again for me please I can then find out which one it is that I need and I will be a very happy man. The andi bradley site I was on does not detail the contents of each month so I can only go by what is in clear enough print on the front.

Thanks for looking anyway.

p.s. The GWR variations often confuse me too!!

Well, I've got as far as December 1982 & no sign of it. There was some apologies for 'missing' articles (unwritten or lost in the post) in the Jan 1982 issue, but no mention of the Barnums amongst them. So perhaps it was never written? Not for the first time.

I have another index by Ceebee Publications. The May 1980 Model Railways gets a mention, but nothing else.

Kevin Martin

Kevin

Thanks very much for looking, and yes it does look as though it is one of those that never got printed. Oh well I'll have to just get on with the kit bashing in my own way, at least I have plenty of reference material and with some forward planning it should be easy!! Here's hoping anyway.

Thanks again and I appreciate the time you have spent looking through your magazines on the other side of the world.

Jim

Archived