Hornby 31

darren01

Hi all

I was looking to get a Hornby class 31 and had a look on the Hornby web site and had a bit of a shock ! when i saw they are selling the BR Green one at £149.99 ,while the BR Sub-Sector is selling for £74.99,so i would have to pay double the price for a green one ! .

I don't get this at all ,how can the same loco ,other than the paint job cost twice as much ?.

Darren

• RMweb Gold

they have gone up a lot in 4 years main cost £80 and it was from a shop in town which has never been the cheapest shop around has the cost of production really gone up by more then 50% ?

• RMweb Premium

Yes the 2012 pricing from Hornby is bucking the economic situation! Althoough production cost in China are rising as their society becomes more affluent.

At the moment I'm considering revisiting the Lima 31. Its an accurate body and plenty of variations in the tooling. It just needs an updated traction package. The Railroad 31 can provide that, except the prices are silly at 45-60 quid depending on vendor. This is especially when the body tooling is a mix of refurb cab front and as built centre section :nono:

Yes the 2012 pricing from Hornby is bucking the economic situation! Althoough production cost in China are rising as their society becomes more affluent.

At the moment I'm considering revisiting the Lima 31. Its an accurate body and plenty of variations in the tooling. It just needs an updated traction package. The Railroad 31 can provide that, except the prices are silly at 45-60 quid depending on vendor. This is especially when the body tooling is a mix of refurb cab front and as built centre section :nono:

Have you considered upgrading the existing Lima power bogie with a DVD/CD drive motor? I believe kits to do it were available quite cheaply a while ago, not sure if they still are mind you

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Funny you should mention that . . .

I came across a motor I liberated from a CD drive some years ago. Its a Mabuchi RF-300C-13300. But the label suggests its only rated to 5.9V. Hmm. Physically its almost a perfect fit within the Lima armature housing!

Option 1:- Use a motor of the type as discussed above . . . Modeltorque style conversion.

Option 2:- Re-chassis the Lima 31 body onto a Hornby CLass 31 Railroad chassis, and sell off a Hornby body with a lima chassis - quite a few on eBay at the moment, from a certain large box shifter up North . . . .

Option 3:- Use a Hornby Railroad motor bogie from a Railroad Class 37 with adapted Lima Bogie Frames, as discussed here:-

http://www.emgauge70...lima31mods.html

Option 4:- I priced up using Hornby Class 31 (top of the range model - Service sheet HS276) bogies, motor with flywheels, driveshafts and universal joints. It came to just a shade under £49 quid plus £7.00 delivery! ekkk. The conversion would be as fellow RM webber James discussed in this thread:

http://www.rmweb.co....birth-finished/

Plus here off the web:-

http://www.sgpyke.co...2031%20mods.htm

Option 5:- would be to use Hornby Class 31 all wheel drive chassis that has suffered mazak zinc pest corrosion (or in simple terms where the chassis that sits under the cabs fractures and falls off!). - Jim Smith-Wright amongst others has used this approach.

http://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14071

Overall option 5 is probably the easiest conversion and offers the capability to connect up some LEDs to give the Lima body head & tail lights. Anyone got any chassis's they want to sell ;)

Apologies to the moderators because were straying from the main subject. But hopefully a round up of Hornby Railroad / Lima Class 31 body - chassis options :good:

Archived