SAFE PAINT REMOVAL ?

Update - Ive just used modelstrip on the body and it has shifted quite a few layers. Theres now a paint layer which i presume is enamel which seems impervious to modelstrip. Its not the original factory paint but its good enough to "work on". The above post is correct in saying some paint is non removable. Im happy that I can now progress with this and achieve a satisfactory paint finish on the bodyshell. Thanks to everyone who posted a reply.

I am attempting to strip paint from a fairly recent Roco carriage body which has been both spray and brush painted. It was obtained secondhand so I don't know the type or composition of the paint.

I've removed paint from the body with Modelstrip and this was quite satisfactory. Howver, there is overspray onto the moulded glazing material and this seems to be impervious to Modelstrip, although the Modelstrip seems to have removed the chrome-coloured paint from the raised window frame mouldings.

1. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what will take this off? I realise there are various options as explained in this thread, but I'd don't want to make a mistake as it's very nice glazing!

2. Can anyone explain why it can be stripped from the body moulding but not the glazing material?

Regards,

Chris Veitch

Hi Chris, I can help you with this one! I had overspray on the flushglaze windows on the loco i have just stripped. That didnt come off with modelstrip either. I guess the plastic, or should i say the paint, seems to bond with this plastic better, anyway i used "T cut" to get the paint off. It worked a treat, they look new again, but it is fiddly, and time consuming. If you can, remove the glazing before you start.

Hi Chris, I can help you with this one! I had overspray on the flushglaze windows on the loco i have just stripped. That didnt come off with modelstrip either. I guess the plastic, or should i say the paint, seems to bond with this plastic better, anyway i used "T cut" to get the paint off. It worked a treat, they look new again, but it is fiddly, and time consuming. If you can, remove the glazing before you start.

Thanks gresh - fortunately I have a bottle in the cupboard and will give it a go.

Regards,

Chris

I'd like to thank all contributors to this thread as it has helped me with some paint stripping problems of my own.

For the record - Modelstrip would not touch the primer, but was great at getting off a top coat of Humbrol.

Alcohol (the modelling kind, not whisky) - shifted primer a treat, but stunk the house out, so had to be taken outside.

Guest 40-something

I posted earlier about using Model Strip however I've came across a problem...

I've repainted 2 loco's, same model, same paint - Halfords primer and Satin Black. I wasnt happy with the finish so decided to strip them and start again. I only had enough Model Strip for one loco so covered the shell and left overnight as per usual. Next day, stripped the paint off no probs and whlist leaving to dry nipped out to get some more Model Strip. Covered the other loco shell, left overnight and not a bit of paint was removed, Tried again, left for 2 days with only a little bit of paint coming off. I went back to the model shop to exchange the Model Strip and the same happened with only a tiny bit of paint coming adrift.

I can only think that maybe the formula has been changed and its less aggressive to certain types of paint? I've put in an order for some Pheonix Super Strip, that'll shift it!

One quick question, will soaking plastic in Methylated Spirits soften the plastic at all?

Depends on the plastic. Something like PVC it won't affect. Styrene & other softer plastics, yes it will damage them. The first telltale sign is areas where the plastic is stressed from the moulding process will tend to turn white. This is usually around raised detail.

• RMweb Premium

Model strip may well have had to change it's formula - I know Nitro-Mors is now useless due to a ruling by some clowns who "work" in Belgium and tell us how to live...........

(Nitro-Mors not advisable as a model paint stripper anyway)

DOT or DOT 4 brake fluid does not make plastics brittle - plastic goes brittle of its own accord. Brake fluid is a fantastic stripper but don't use it on anything metal - it rusts metal quicker then 70s British cars rusted.

Archived