A P1 from an 8F?

Hello all, ever since I first heard of them I have been fascinated by the Gresley class P1, sorry if this confuses any NER modellers you guys are awesome and don't deserve to be annoyed by me, and as a result I have a desire to produce my own model of an example at some point. On the old forum there was a stunning one by GWRking, now I have neither the skills, resouces or time to bulid a full finescale chassis, one day though, one day. So I ponder if there is a cheaper way around it, could I get a resonable chassis for a P1 off a Hornby 8F?

ScR

I must only use my powers to Annoy!

If I am correct, there was an article in the Modeller about 20 years ago where the contributor "made up" a P1

using an A3 body, tender drive unit and I think a proprietary chassis. I can't remember if it was from an 8F or a

cut down 9F but if you can give me a day or two I will hunt it down. Whatever the source, the model was turned

out in BR black with fictional number and looked fairly impressive.

Jim

Not really possible from RTR parts. Now, if Hornby had gone for the more numerous and longer lived O2 as their LNER heavy freight unit, we'd be 'in' in so many ways. Has the right coupled wheelbase, and if the drivers from the L1 are available as spares and substituted, there's the P1 chassis...

Right, drat, so I guess I could canablise an L1, but that would not fly with head office.

Found it! I knew my filing system wouldn't let me down.

I was right about the Modeller but it wasn't 20 years ago, it was 30 exactly, April 1992 to be precise.

A Mr Hayden Reed used the body off a Hornby loco drive A3, D49 tender and the chassis from

"a prehistoric Triang Princess" which he converted to 8 coupled by fabricating a chassis extension

of his own design.

As 34C (as was) says, it won't be an incredibly accurate model but from the photos published with the article,

taken by somebody called Tony Wright, it certainly captures the look of the real thing. If you are interested and

PM me with your name & address, I will post the pages off to you and you can decide if you want to go ahead

with the project.

Jim

Found it! I knew my filing system wouldn't let me down.

I was right about the Modeller but it wasn't 20 years ago, it was 30 exactly, April 1992 to be precise.

A Mr Hayden Reed used the body off a Hornby loco drive A3, D49 tender and the chassis from

"a prehistoric Triang Princess" which he converted to 8 coupled by fabricating a chassis extension

of his own design.

As 34C (as was) says, it won't be an incredibly accurate model but from the photos published with the article,

taken by somebody called Tony Wright, it certainly captures the look of the real thing. If you are interested and

PM me with your name & address, I will post the pages off to you and you can decide if you want to go ahead

with the project.

Jim

Blimey ! Two Nottingham MRS members mentioned in one post !

Not really possible from RTR parts...

A thought has come to me regarding a RTR chassis. I don't own one, or have any drawings, but from a squint at photos I reckon the S&DJR 2-8-0 has a coupled wheelbase there or thereabouts right for the 18'6" overall length of the P1 - although the axle spacings won't be anywhere near correct. Substitution of 5' - 5'2" wheels would be necessary, and the LNER pattern Walschaerts gear.

This is one of those 'to bash or kit build' questions which I would say comes down to cost and appearance. My suspicion is that a kit build chassis will not only work out little or no more expensive, it will have the major advantage of actually looking right...

How can it be thirty years ago, if it was published in 1992? Surely that's 20 years ago?

I'm glad someone on here can count. Treat yourself to a Tunnock's Tea Cake, you deserve it H.

Jim

Guest Belgian

if the drivers from the L1 are available as spares and substituted, there's the P1 chassis...

I received a set of these from Abbigails spares this morning, and the set of 6 was just £9-64 including postage!

Personally I would wait for the Hornby Thompson O1 to come out. Then I'd use the L1 wheelsets and source a new front pony wheel, the valve gear and cylinders from the Bachmann K3 (or V2 but the K3's is finer) should be just about the right sizes with a little artistic license.

As Mr King did with his P1, the body would need a new running plate (lengthened K3 rather than scratch building one out of brass?) and the distinctive tender would need to be made - GNR A3 tender body and Bachmann underframe IIRC.

This is the approach I would take, but I now model in N gauge and use CAD so what do I know about real modelling any more!!! :jester:

Archived