Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Plug-in Yard Lamps Help

silverlink

Hi all,

I have been using for some time some very well made working Yard lamps from RMlectronics of East Yorkshire www.rmlectronics.co.uk

These lamps are made of brass and really suit my exhibition layout however, this has produced a problem in that for transport I am unable to disconnect as they are fastened into the wiring under the baseboards. Because of this occasionally the very thin feed wires(2 off) break which can cause problems. I came across some lamps from Brawa which have a plug-in type connection exactly the sort of thing I need. Does anyone have any suggestions on fitting a plug on the bottom of the lamp and a socket which could be sunk into the baseboard? I thought perhaps a 2.5mm jack & socket may do the job.

Lamp shown in position

post-4401-0-27024200-1333466958_thumb.jpg

As you can see the lamp is fitted with a base so the plug would have go under that but the socket could sit in the baseboard (9mm thick)

Hope you can help

silverlink

• 1 month later...

Hi there.

I've just been fitting a stack of LED lights, but without the removal isse you have, although I can see a way to helping you out.

Under the board, I've given each lamp its own terminal block (choc-blocks). This means I don't have to run long wires to and from power supplies direct to each lamp and means a lot of wiring can be done without the lamp in place. For exhibition, I'd also solder the ends of the yard lamp wires to a thick-ish bit of brass so it wouldn't damage the filaments every time it went in and out of the terminal block. Hornby and dolls houses have a similar 12v plastic plug affair, but I'd not be happy with them, they look flimsy and easy to break. If you really need something, then use DC power supply connectors from somewhere like Maplin, but for the sake of 2 minutes under the boards, terminal blocks win easily in my house.

Many thanks for your help, I think we have come up with a way of doing it. Robert Denton who manutactures these lamps at RMlectronics is fitting a 2.5mm jack plug on the lamp base & I will have to sink the 2.5mm socket into the baseboard low enough for the plug to push in and leave the lamp level with the baseboard. Should it work I will post details here.

silverlink

• 6 months later...

Many Thanks for your interest silverlink and although we've now got the solution I think it would be worth showing this to other modellers (when you have time!!). I have been in contact with a number of "plug & socket" makers and none seem interested in doing anything for me/us. Brawa, obviously, won't respond at all to my requests so RML are still on the look-out. If there are any Plug & Socket manufacturers reading this then please get in touch as we could have a 'winner' on our hands here!

We're not going to do these as a "run of the mill" product but will still listen to customers' needs and do them to order if found necessary.

Very tiny plug & sockets are available but, by virtue of the fact that they are small, lend themselves to breakage and wouldn't be reliable enough for the rigors of exhibition use. I know people will say: "You can get them here, there and everywhere" but when it comes to constructional techniques then a whole new 'ball-game' starts!

Anyway, pleased we made it in the end for you and look forward to seeing your articles in the modelling press soon.

Best Wishes and thanks again,

Robert at RMLectronics

There are floodlights and yard lights that come with this system of instillation and power, I've been looking at them recently. Unfortunately I cannot find the website that has them on, which has frustrated me for the last 20 minutes!! I've bookmarked the CR Signals website on my iPad, so I have a feeling it may be there that I've seen them, but I'm unable to load their website at the moment.

The system they appear to use is a 12v power supply plug as seen on Hornby power packs for the likes of the Select unit. The female is mounted in the baseboard, sitting almost flush with the surface. The male is the base of the light, and is the mounting point as well as the power supply.

I will try looking again later this afternoon and will post the website here when I eventually find it (which I will!!!!!!)

Mark

Edit - I've found the link, it is CR Signals .... http://www.crsignals.com/moreDetails.aspx?id=198

Unfortunately they only appear to do modern floodlights with this fixing/power method, but might still be worth contacting them?

Archived