SR Schools 903 Tight Transit Brackets Luck?

robmcg

Hi All,

Just received Hornby R2742X 'Charterhouse' Schools in Maunsell Green and what a superb model.

The brackets on the chassis installed for transit were alas very very tight, and my very best phillipshead screwdriver, a perfect fit and unworn, failed to release one of the two. I was able to apply only what I would judge to be about 10Kg pressure-and-turn, with the engine held gently? in my cupped hand. The screwdriver did not have a large handle, I thought I was beaten.

I gave up and thought to find someone with stronger grip than me, and live opposite a volunteer firestation, and by sheer luck a gentleman 'Garth' offered to have a go. Fit strong young man, turns out he has a model railway too, but being young married etc is limited in activity. After a few minutes he gave up too. We thought we would have to find a better screwdriver, but with one last attempt the bracket came very slightly loose. The screw was still tight to turn, clearly overtightened and possibly thread-damaged at the factory.

The model is bristling with detail, tool holders on tender, lamp-irons outside smokebox, and all miraculously survived, as did all the more usual victims of extreme force, such as boiler detail, handrails, whistles, and so on...but it occurs to me that others may have had similar issues with these transit brackets.

Until now I have 'just' been able to release them on some occasions, and at other times they are factory installed just nicely 'snug' and are no problem. I just thought it would be a shame to have a lot of models damaged by the force required to release over-tight brackets, which are in my opinion of dubious value anyway.

... and while I am complaining, the electrical socket-plug in the tender is a rather tight one, I shudder to think how it might ever be released. On the other hand, the engine is undamaged, runs perfectly and has astonishing detail which looks brilliant in Maunsell Green.

Rob

I agree Rob,

I see no benefit in the transit brackets being there. For both my Std 4 and Schools (-and HST come to think of it), the brackets have not been a tight fit into the bottom piece of polystyrene packaging, and therefore would not have prevented any movement in the box.

From your comments, it sounds like there may be a real risk of damage in their removal on some models.

I wonder if these are left on following the manufacture/assembly process?

We could resurrect the old packaging debate, for me I would pay a couple of quid for a Heljan/Vi type box/tray which seem very robust. I don't have the luxury of keeping all my models out at the same time.

N

We had no issue with what you have stated above,

However we Have had a issue with both are Schools the latest SR 903 and the first release in black, Which when placed on the track hesitate to move, and once you finally get it going one side of the rear driving wheel lifts up, and once every full turn it hesitates and slows down which cause a jump, We have had this problem with both ours as said above. We have been most dissatisfied with Hornby this year as we had another issue with a T9 lacking Pulling power (not able to pull anymore than 3 manusell coaches) which is rather odd as we have 2 others that can pull a rake of 10 without hesitation. This was then sent back for repair and came back to us the other day, we were assured all problems were resolved and the chassis had been oiled, The loco was then placed back on the track and tested but the same problem was still there, and all we had gained was Hornby loosing the detailing pack and and the person who had supposedly repaired the loco had managed to snap all 3 lamp irons off the front of the foot plate.

Overall a very disappointing year for us from Hornby as we have bought over 30 locos from them in the past,

I agree Rob,

I see no benefit in the transit brackets being there. For both my Std 4 and Schools (-and HST come to think of it), the brackets have not been a tight fit into the bottom piece of polystyrene packaging, and therefore would not have prevented any movement in the box.

From your comments, it sounds like there may be a real risk of damage in their removal on some models.

N

Perhaps warnings on the packet, thus:

'WARNING! Do Not Attempt To Open Packet Unless You Have a Certificate of Profiency in Precision Instrument Repair'

'Not Suitable For Children Under 4 yrs. Contains Small Parts Invisible to Naked Eye of Those Over 50 yrs'

anyway, I am buying a Peco PL-70 Loco Cradle and will look for better screwdrivers! About to unpack a 'Clan' ....

Rob

Good luck with that Rob!

The cradle is very good for wheel cleaning etc, but be careful that fine detail (handrail wire, whistles etc) dont get caught up. As the cradle is a very flexible foam material, I find it is best to ease the sides apart when inserting or removing any model.

Let us know how the Clan runs,

N

Good luck with that Rob!

The cradle is very good for wheel cleaning etc, but be careful that fine detail (handrail wire, whistles etc) dont get caught up. As the cradle is a very flexible foam material, I find it is best to ease the sides apart when inserting or removing any model.

Let us know how the Clan runs,

N

Thankyou Neal,

The Clan did not to my surprise have transit brackets. Mind you, transit brackets aren't usually a problem.

I have yet to find a repair cradle in local retailers, Xmas shoppers make buying one a bit vexsome, so I set about installing an R8249 decoder in the tender. (saving myself a few pounds! ) The brake shoes obstruct the two retaining screws, not sure about the six ? main screws so I bent the shoes a little to loosen the screws, one broke off, but will glue back on when I add the rods later, when I have a cradle. The decoder socket No.1 'pin' requires the loom to go around one of the towers which take the retaining screws, but it fits OK. The rear plate across the coal bunker on the tender fell off.

When the engine and tender were receiving the 4-pin connection on soft material, carefully avoiding pressure on the whistle and tender etc., both cab roof sliding panels fell off.

But all is back together, except brake rods which really do need a cradle for installation, and to cut a long story short, it runs PERFECTLY, looks great too, no "visible" damage, no waddles, utterly silent and smooth from the box. Oh and there was no coal, but I have a lump, and a hammer....

To my eye the model looks dead right. The lagged pipework is a bit 'pale green' (was that just the light?") A truly amazing model like most RTR 00 these days. Cab detail, as in the 'Schools', is astounding... speaking of which I love the way 903 runs too... complete with spoked tender wheels and no sandbox between the drivers, as built.

Both are now circulating on my layout with suitable carriages, 3 Maunsells for 903 and 4 BR Staniers for 72000.

Rob

• RMweb Premium

Hi All,

Just received Hornby R2742X 'Charterhouse' Schools in Maunsell Green and what a superb model.

The brackets on the chassis installed for transit were alas very very tight, and my very best phillipshead screwdriver, a perfect fit and unworn, failed to release one of the two. I was able to apply only what I would judge to be about 10Kg pressure-and-turn, with the engine held gently? in my cupped hand. The screwdriver did not have a large handle, I thought I was beaten.

I gave up and thought to find someone with stronger grip than me, and live opposite a volunteer firestation, and by sheer luck a gentleman 'Garth' offered to have a go. Fit strong young man, turns out he has a model railway too, but being young married etc is limited in activity. After a few minutes he gave up too. We thought we would have to find a better screwdriver, but with one last attempt the bracket came very slightly loose. The screw was still tight to turn, clearly overtightened and possibly thread-damaged at the factory.

Rob

I agree, a stunning model. I too had problems with the overtight screws holding the transport brackets. Once I realised none of my Philips cross heads would grip, I tried a slotted screwdriver the correct width and it worked immediately.

As regards packing generally, I'm not sure what is best. Hornby's two-part packing is horrible, particularly for putting the loco back in for storage. For their train sets, and for Hornby International (Jouef, Rivarossi) locos, they use a tray with cut outs (so does Roco) so why not for Hornby's UK outline individual locos? Bachmann's new clear plastic is ok but can still be tight round the fragile bits. Does the packing really need to be so tight over the whole surface area? Surely keeping a few key points fixed in place in the box is sufficient?

I agree, a stunning model. I too had problems with the overtight screws holding the transport brackets. Once I realised none of my Philips cross heads would grip, I tried a slotted screwdriver the correct width and it worked immediately.

As regards packing generally, I'm not sure what is best. Hornby's two-part packing is horrible, particularly for putting the loco back in for storage. For their train sets, and for Hornby International (Jouef, Rivarossi) locos, they use a tray with cut outs (so does Roco) so why not for Hornby's UK outline individual locos? Bachmann's new clear plastic is ok but can still be tight round the fragile bits. Does the packing really need to be so tight over the whole surface area? Surely keeping a few key points fixed in place in the box is sufficient?

Hi Andrew,

After all the drama I agree it's a nice locomotive! It fell on the floor yesterday and it even survived that.. (was on a tray which fell off table.... a numb feeling as it exploded on the carpet, miraculously surviving with only minor damage) So here it is, photo with Canon A620 and a bit of PSP6 editing for sky etc.

0_schools_10_r950.jpg

0_schools_21b_r950.jpg

Archived