Class 58 drive system

Hi all

Not sure if this question is in the right forum (moderator please move if not). I have a weathered Hornby Class 58 Coal sector loco that I would like to keep but want to add sound and a decent drive system to. Do you know if the body will fit any other chassis that will warrant spend money on DCC sound?

• 2 weeks later...

Personnally i'd say you have 2 choices

1 - Ebay it and get a Heljan 58 which is a far superior ruinning model. MIne pulls 35 loaded MGR's happily.

2 - The dummy bogie is actually a full motor chassis without a motor in it. You could either fit a motor or aquire a motorised bogie and wire them as a pair. That way you'll have all wheel drive. Add a decent lump of lead in the body and it'll pull quite nicely. The motors are only tiny so they don;t have a huge amount of power (its the same motor as in the pacer) so it'll never be up to the performance of a decent can motored loco but it is a cheap and easy upgrade.

• 5 months later...

Or keep the bogie towers. Fabricate a worm support at each end (as the above post says its a full tower on the dummy) and add a modern can motor in the middle with carden shafts as per modern locos. I did the mod in about 1990 when I was 14. Sadly dont have the loco now as I sold off all my old stuff when I took the late teen break from railway modelling!

Cav

Archived