Curving Goods Sheds - did they exist?

cary hill

• RMweb Premium

having looked at the map links in the 'marylebone mpd' thread, there's a curved shed on the canal wharf to the west of the goods sidings.

it's curved to match the shore of the regents canal

To recapitulate:

I was reading about a proposed plan(1903) to rearrange the buildings and track layout at Minehead Station.

One proposed change would have involved the building of a goods shed with a gently curving track passing through it.

It was noted by the author that a gently curving goods shed would have been a most unusual feature.

I can't recall seeing a "curved" goods shed - does anyone know of one?

...The basic principle here - already implied in several posts - is that utilitarian considerations are always going to 'push' the design toward rectilinear. Cheaper construction, maybe even of a modular template established already, uniform internal arrangements for all the handling and storage. Only a significantly constrained site is likely to drive the use of anything else...

I don't know if the original poster was asking out of general interest in such a shed, or whether he - or anybody - was thinking about (or has actually built) a model of one, but the shed I mentioned at Halifax would seem to fit the bill. I.E: a gently curving track through a gently curving goods shed. It was built that way because it was (is) on a site constrained by the rugged West Riding topography where a branch off the Manchester and Leeds Railway followed the narrow, winding valley of the Hebble to Shaw Syke, Halifax.

There are lots of photographs and maps linked from this website: http://www.lostrailw....uk/Halifax.htm , showing an attractive structure, not too huge for a small layout, with an interesting office block built into one end - what, as our former colonials might say, is not to like?

Archived