Curving Goods Sheds - did they exist?

cary hill

I was reading about a proposed plan(1903) to rearrange the buildings and track layout at Minehead Station.

One proposed change would have involved the building of a goods shed with a gently curving track passing through it.

It was noted by the author that a gently curving goods shed would have been a most unusual feature.

I can't recall seeing a "curved" goods shed - does anyone know of one?

• RMweb Premium

Don't even understand why one would have been needed at Minehead in those days - there was plenty of space around the station.

Surely, a curved track leading to/from the goods shed, but not through?

• RMweb Gold

Curved buildings are surely almost as much of a challenge in 12" = 1ft as they are in a model - maybe more so, as they have to stand up! Perhaps the shed would have been rectangular, with a curved loading platform serving a curved road?

• RMweb Gold

All the ones I can think of involved straight roads (railway 'roads' that is) but sometimes with quite severe curvature on the approach or at one end. I could foresee some difficulty working on a curved deck in a goods shed although I did know some where the width of teh deck reduced although the shed was straight so it might not have been totally impossible to work.

I've a glimmer of an idea that I can recall seeing a banana shed sited on a slight curve but I'm not certain about it.

I've a glimmer of an idea that I can recall seeing a banana shed sited on a slight curve but I'm not certain about it.

:)

This one at Oldham survives in a derelict state, though it is much larger than what the OP is probably thinking of and I think the railway tracks were outside rather than inside.

Survival? Have you followed the sequence to the end?

This is a heartbreaking set of photos. Clegg Street warehouse was one of my two favourite LNWR goods buildings, the other being Huddersfield warehouse. Since the latter is preserved and looks to have a secure future I will now just have to build a model based on Clegg Street for Bradford North Western.

Ian

Curved buildings are surely almost as much of a challenge in 12" = 1ft as they are in a model

Surprisingly even a few curved engine sheds existed (Woolwich Arsenal, Cornbrook Junction, Staveley Old Works, Brunswick, Sunderland Hendon) - so there were probably a few curved goods sheds. It is amazing what can be built given the need or desire to do it and a variety of materials, don't forget all the many roundhouse sheds.

Flex that plasticard!

In some areas, there were whole bunches of them.

Coat definitely required today, methinks...

Thanks for the replies so far.

Could't decide if the possible curved shed for bananas was an extended April Fool or not.

I agree that there was no apparent need for a curved goods shed at Minehead at the time it was proposed, as there was plenty of land available for expansion at that time.

The basic principle here - already implied in several posts - is that utilitarian considerations are always going to 'push' the design toward rectilinear. Cheaper construction, maybe even of a modular template established already, uniform internal arrangements for all the handling and storage. Only a significantly constrained site is likely to drive the use of anything else. Although... I did once have to do with a German commercial building erected during the height of the Bauhaus movement. Very artful with sexy curves and all that: it was a complete PITA to make efficient use of some of the internal space.

All the ones I can think of involved straight roads (railway 'roads' that is) but sometimes with quite severe curvature on the approach or at one end. I could foresee some difficulty working on a curved deck in a goods shed although I did know some where the width of teh deck reduced although the shed was straight so it might not have been totally impossible to work.

Mike, I'm quite surprised that the banana shed at Reading has somehow escaped your 'all seeing Western Region eye'.... there are a few shots of it in the latest GWR Journal!

;)

• RMweb Gold

Mike, I'm quite surprised that the banana shed at Reading has somehow escaped your 'all seeing Western Region eye'.... there are a few shots of it in the latest GWR Journal!

;)

It's an age thing Nidge - I can remember that banana shed quite well but I wasn't going to commit in print until I'd found that GWRJ and checked my memory; and it wasn't quite so easy to remember where I'd put the GWRJ in question :blush:

If memory serves me Clegg Street warehouse was curved because the whole goods yard was one big curve. This was a joint LNW/GC yard and at one time there was a GC goods shed too, but it burnt down many moons ago, and I'm not sure I've ever seen a photo of it.

Potentially the arrangement at Clegg Street would be quite space saving in model terms - although this is of course a relative term as I doubt many would have the room to model such a big yard, except maybe in 2mm scale.

Its a shame Clegg Street has gone. There was all sorts of schemes to turn it into a hotel, apartments etc but these days its not exactly the sort of area I'd like to live in. Every time I looked at it it said "model me".

I'm a "Roughyead" (Oldhamer) born and bred (even though I emigrated to Rochdale lol) and this was one of the truly - if only - iconic buildings in the town, at least since Oldham Brewery was demolished in the 80s :biggrin_mini2: .

Archived