Switch blades - are these a lost cause?

GWMark

I am fairly new to point building, having built one C&L B6 "point in a bag" kit, I am now building three A4's from the same source. I just opened the last bag of switch blades and am not sure that they are usable. It looks to me like something went wrong in the milling process, however I don't have any others, that are not now built into points, to compare them against.

I have tried to photograph the blades to ask for opinions here.

This first shot is the front face of the blades, i.e. those that are milled on one edge only.

post-7152-0-02419100-1333815941.jpg

There is a distinct step in the top switch blade on what I believe is the edge that the wheel set would run along, i.e. the unmilled edge of this blade.

The second shot is the back face, with planning on both edges. This is the face I would put (rightly or wrongly) against the stock rail.

post-7152-0-59790800-1333815965.jpg

This time the bottom blade seems a little rough, but I guess this would file easily enough.

Would I be right in thinking that these are beyond salvageable and should be replaced?

If they can be salvaged, what would be the best way of doing so?

It also looks to me as if they are not a pair i.e. the milling is the same on both of them. I thought they would normally be handed, with the unmilled edge being at the bottom of each switch blade away from the stock rail.

Mark

Hi,

Not a pair and not finished off. Probably escaped from the production line. Just contact him, I'm sure he'll replace etc. It is actually cheaper to just buy the components than a kit - you don't need the template(s) when you have Templot and you don't need an infinite number of gauges.

The cost of buying a ready made B6 etc turnout is actually not much greater than the cost of the kits.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mark,

If those are type A switch blades in 4mm scale, the planing length should be 22mm. i.e. the machining should run out on both sides at 22mm from the tip.

There is no scale on your pic, but the machining looks to be much longer than that. If so, they would need to be replaced even if the machining was of good quality.

If they are 7mm scale, the planing length should be 38.5mm from the tip for type A blades.

regards,

Martin.

Thanks everybody. They are 4mm and the machining does extend beyond 22mm, so it looks like they do have a problem. I have emailed C&L to let them know, but with the long weekend and the fact I am away next week there will be a delay.

Thank you all for confirming my first thoughts, it is especially useful when starting out on a project like this to have access to experts who have done it before, this is the great strength of a forum like this.

I must admit to enjoying track building, I like the results and can't wait to move on to more advanced projects. I definitely will be going down the route of just buying the components and using Templot in future, the turnouts in a bag have at least given that confidence to carry on and have been worth it just for that.

Mark

Try filing up a set of blades yourself, once you have done that you will realise that there is no need to buy them ready made as yours will be better, with a bit of care.

I have never seen one from C&L that did not need to be finished off.

Regards

Keith

Ps The instructions in this document are as good as any.

Thanks Keith, I might give that a go.

As for this set, Pete from C&L has been very helpful and has posted a replacement set to me. Very good service from C&L. Now all I need to do is get home from California and finish them - frustrating to be stuck on the wrong side of the world.

Archived