West Kirby Town: narrow gauge is coming to town.

Dmudriver

The speaker is an "off-the-shelf" one from DC Kits and is pictured here:

post-7571-0-02096500-1477570837_thumb.jpg

AFAIK it doesn't need any more work on it.  However, I've dug out an older speaker and will fit that as well and then try it again.

I'm sure it's not the room and the sound escapes via the bogie apertures.  I've other speakers inside diesels and they don't sound as bassy as this.  

More to follow.

Rod

Afternoon Rod, I have just listened to the video, as others have said, listening to it via PC speakers it is difficult to gauge where the bass noise is coming from, but if you can here it there in the room and you think it sounds too base then the chances are there is too much, is there anywhere on the chassis for the sound to escape out of the body ? as with hi-fi music if your speakers are right in the 90' corner of a room you can end up with mad base as lower frequency notes bounce around of each wall, the best scenario for base sound is the lower frequency notes are driven outwards to the atmosphere "hope that makes sense" so it is all well and good having a great basey speaker driving the low frequency sounds outwards, but if they are hitting the chassis plate of the 25 and then reverberating back up towards the roof of the body again this will lead to a mad base sound.

Hope I have explained it clear enough !!! Then again you may well say there is plenty of escape holes in the chassis plate and blow my theory right out of the water

Anyway it is a lovely rat

Craig.

The speaker is an "off-the-shelf" one from DC Kits and is pictured here:

attachicon.gifIMG_2372 (1280x432).jpg

AFAIK it doesn't need any more work on it.  However, I've dug out an older speaker and will fit that as well and then try it again.

I'm sure it's not the room and the sound escapes via the bogie apertures.  I've other speakers inside diesels and they don't sound as bassy as this.  

More to follow.

Rod

Not sure from that pic how much room there is around the speaker for the sound to 'develop' as it were and then propagate out of the body - maybe that's why it sounds a bit fuzzy?

Hi all.

Thanks for your comments about the sound in the 25.  As you guessed, I was a bit unhappy with it and, as I've had a modelling day today, I've done some work on it.

First, though, I did some running repairs on a couple of DMUs - one had lost an air intake cover which I replaced and the other had lost an exhaust: luckily I found it and that's now back on.  When I checked the second one, it won't move - the sound works but the motor doesn't turn!!  I've had the problem before and after I've checked it it works OK but now it's gone again.  I suspect it's a loose connection somewhere so I'll check it again in the next few days.

Anyway, back to the 25.  I did wonder if the bassy/booming noise was in fact the body not letting enough sound out so I tried it with the body off.  Lo and behold, much better!!  So I very slowly and delicately drilled holes in the JLTRT chassis to see if that would let more sound escape.  This is what the underside looked like when I'd done it:

post-7571-0-11567300-1477603903_thumb.jpg

As you can see, there's a switch in it so that I can run it on DCC or DC on the club's layout.  I know that DCC fitted locos do run on DC but I've not been too impressed with it.

The sound was better, but not good enough for me, so I added another 8 Ohm speaker which I found in my DCC drawer.  That does make it better - and I've done a video to show the new sound.  I'll play with it for a while but I'm aware of what Brian Daniels has said that not all locos need bass and I'm toying with the idea of possibly swapping these speakers with those in the 37.  That's not a job for now, though - I'm working on the fuelling point (slowly!!).

Here's the video with the revised sound:

What do you think?    More soon.

Rod

Edit:     PS    1)    The sound file is SWD.

2)    Apologies for the "noises off" in the 2nd half of the video.  I was doing some shifting about!!!

Edited by Dmudriver
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Anyway, back to the 25.  I did wonder if the bassy/booming noise was in fact the body not letting enough sound out so I tried it with the body off.  Lo and behold, much better!!  So I very slowly and delicately drilled holes in the JLTRT chassis to see if that would let more sound escape.  This is what the underside looked like when I'd done it:

My god thats some serious woodworm you have there Rod!  Hmm.. should it be plastic worm? :)  Seriously tho, definitely sounds better to me. I've yet to tackle the sound in my Heljan 25 so am watching closely to see what you come up with!

Rich

Hello Rod

Yes that is better IMHO. These Sulzer engines seem to have quite an edge to the exhaust when under load, so a bit more treble helps.

I have some stereo recordings I made back in the early 1970s of class 46 locos with the larger Sulzer units, and if you crank up the volume on a good sound system they do have lots of bass and treble in the mix. With tiny speakers in a model loco you are always going to get a miniature version of the real sound, so I think you just have to accept that. Stand beside the full-size loco, and you can feel it through your feet!

John

• Like 2

Hi all.

Things are moving on the scenery front - well, scenery backs, to be precise.  The backscene buildings are finished - all 9' of them! - and are just waiting for a convenient time for delivery.

Here is a pic of the whole length of them:

post-7571-0-14016900-1477772354_thumb.jpg

In the middle is a stretch of flat-backed houses - based on the prototype but with no extensions due to the limited space between the tracks and the wall of the shed.  Here's a close-up of them:

post-7571-0-25665400-1477772347_thumb.jpg

Those at the righthand end are as those at the left (see previous pics) but one has no extra extension, just a fire escape, again due to limited clearance:

post-7571-0-64407800-1477772369_thumb.jpg

I'm really looking forward to seeing them on the layout, but first I need to put up the white hardboard that will be behind them.

More soon.

Rod 

post-7571-0-25665400-1477772347_thumb.jpg

post-7571-0-14016900-1477772354_thumb.jpg

post-7571-0-64407800-1477772369_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

I looked at these last evening and agreed with Brian's comments above. Looking again this morning... it's outstanding.

Other superlatives exist. :)

Looking forward to seeing the photos of this on the layout.

Best

Simon

• RMweb Gold

Goodness me, those buildings are superb - and epic.  West Kirby Town is really marching on.  

My own small project (which is little more than a plank to display my burgeoning O-gauge stock on) is far more modest.  But I am pleased with the sound I have installed in all three of my class 25s (two Heljan and one JLTRT).  All have the Legomanbiffo sound recording and bass reflex speakers.  Here's a clip of a pair of them:-

• Like 6

Much better, but still room for improvement - it sounds echoey. (Try using kitchen roll to act as an acoustically inert liner inside the ody, maybe?)

I also think I need to stop reading posts late at night, as I don't always read the words right with tired eyes, and I nearly didn't play the video because I was concerned wht the noises off entailed...

I'd agree, it does sound a bit "echoey" to my ears, Brians speaker set up sounded just right to me

• RMweb Gold

My own small project (which is little more than a plank to display my burgeoning O-gauge stock on) is far more modest. But I am pleased with the sound I have installed in all three of my class 25s (two Heljan and one JLTRT). All have the Legomanbiffo sound recording and bass reflex speakers. Here's a clip of a pair of them:-

https://youtu.be/I-75x0azX4I

Sounds nice and looks a good layout too! Do you have any details or a thread on here?

Rich

The Leggobiffoman sound beats them all in my view in post #1414, although the diesel horn is weak (as on most diesel sound projects I've heard). This contrasts with steam sounds where the whistles are good and the exhaust chaffy.

Edited by coachmann

Hi Rod,

That is a stunning set of buildings, and they will certainly give West Kirby Town station a lot of atmosphere.

You must be very pleased.

Jinty ;)

I am indeed really pleased, Jinty.  And really looking forward to seeing them on the layout.   Paul really has done a good job: as I've said before, I saw some of his work "in the flesh" at the G0G show in Doncaster and was impressed, so contacted him later.  

He's got a website and a Facebook page and regularly looks in on this thread.  I've no connection other than as a satisfied customer, by the way!!

Thanks to all for the appreciative comments: now I've more work to do to get the rest of the layout matching these.

More soon.

Rod

• Like 1

Hi all.

Just a bit of an update. The DMU problem I mentioned earlier is now solved. It was, as I suspected, a loose wire - somehow it had worked loose out of a chocolate block. That's now sorted and running properly.

I've also changed the speakers in the 25. I wasn't completely happy with the sound, even with the second speaker in, so I've now fitted 2 rectangular 4 Ohm speakers instead.

Unfortunately, I'm having problems with my computer so I can't put any pics or video on, but will do when it's fixed.

More soon.

Rod

• Like 2

Hi all.

I've got my computer problems sorted so I've managed to do a video of the third version of the sound in the 25.  I've now got 2x 4 ohm rectangular speakers in it and now I am very happy with it - as opposed to just satisfied!!!  The video shows the 25 with the parcels train arriving and stopping at the Down Inner Home signal, waiting for the DMU to clear platform 1.  Notice the route indicator light up as the signal clears.  The DMU is the one that had the loose wire!!

The second part shows the train arriving at the platform, taken from the usual place above the buffer stops at the end of the sidings.

The next question is what to do with the bass speaker?  I'll open up the Heljan 37 and see if there's room in that - together with another speaker to bring out the mid and high ranges of sound.

Enjoy the video.  More soon.

Rod

• Like 9

Hi Rod,

The video is set as Private so I cannot view.

Regards

Jinty ;)

Sorry, Jinty and leopard.... ,  my mistake.  It's now published.  Not quite got the hang of making one video out of 2 or 3 yet - but getting there!!!

Rod

• Like 1

Hi all.

Things are moving on the scenery front - well, scenery backs, to be precise.  The backscene buildings are finished - all 9' of them! - and are just waiting for a convenient time for delivery.

Here is a pic of the whole length of them:

attachicon.gifIMG_4346.jpg

In the middle is a stretch of flat-backed houses - based on the prototype but with no extensions due to the limited space between the tracks and the wall of the shed.  Here's a close-up of them:

attachicon.gifIMG_4335.jpg

Those at the righthand end are as those at the left (see previous pics) but one has no extra extension, just a fire escape, again due to limited clearance:

attachicon.gifIMG_4350.jpg

I'm really looking forward to seeing them on the layout, but first I need to put up the white hardboard that will be behind them.

More soon.

Rod 

A fine set of buildings there Rod, they will certainly keep the (7mm) housing shortage in West Kirby down! Looking forward to seeing the 'installed' pictures.

regards

Mike

• Like 1

Hi all.

I've tried the large speaker in the 37 and it fits, but it's very tight!!!  In fact, the removable panel by the exhaust ports keeps lifting and because the sound is not that much different from what I had before, I've taken it out again and gone back to my original arrangement!!  I'm still happy with the 37 sound though - maybe another video coming on!!

I've now got a large bass speaker sitting around looking for somewhere to live - apart from in my DCC drawer!!!

More soon.

Rod

Edited by Dmudriver
  • Like 2