West Kirby Town: narrow gauge is coming to town.

Dmudriver

Rod

The coal tank appears to have a hybrid of large ‘LMS’ and BR-sized bunker-side numbers. All of the photos that I have of LMS-liveried locos with the sans-serif numbers have numbers as large as the letters. E.g. this sort of thing:

post-5366-0-71981900-1522069955_thumb.jpg

Dave

• Like 1

Hi all.

The Ivatt is due out of works shortly, so I thought I'd make a video of the Coal Tank running on the preserved "Welsh Dragon" set.  

It's nearly 6 minutes long: it begins with the Coal Tank arriving in platform 1, and then the 115 leaves for Birkenhead from platform 2.  There's then a wait of about a minute until the 3-car 108 arrives from Chester.  Once that is in platform 2, the Coal Tank leaves for New Brighton.

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=gRxxlndZcVY

Enjoy. 

Rod

• Like 2

Rod

The coal tank appears to have a hybrid of large ‘LMS’ and BR-sized bunker-side numbers. All of the photos that I have of LMS-liveried locos with the sans-serif numbers have numbers as large as the letters. E.g. this sort of thing:

attachicon.gif58911 at Edge Hill 18Apr50.jpg

Dave

HI Dave.

Thanks for that - I've not seen that pic before.  And it's at Edge Hill, too!!  Looking a bit closely at it, yours could well have been taken just before or after mine.  The loco with the smoke deflectors seems to be in the same position relative to 58887 in both pics.- and the 2 piles of coal or ash are in the same place, as well.

I looked at the pic I've used, along with a pal who's into kettles and the Grouping era, and we thought the numbers were smaller than the letters on 58887.  As he had the "block" style of lettering (my term - I don't know the correct one!!) and the matching numbers, we used those.  Maybe it's the perspective that makes the numbers look smaller, but that's the only pic I've seen of the lettering style I've used.

Thanks for the comment.

Rod

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi all.

The Ivatt is due out of works shortly, so I thought I'd make a video of the Coal Tank running on the preserved "Welsh Dragon" set.  

It's nearly 6 minutes long: it begins with the Coal Tank arriving in platform 1, and then the 115 leaves for Birkenhead from platform 2.  There's then a wait of about a minute until the 3-car 108 arrives from Chester.  Once that is in platform 2, the Coal Tank leaves for New Brighton.

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=gRxxlndZcVY

Enjoy. 

Rod

Hi Rod. Something odd's happening when I follow that link, it keeps reverting to my you tube home screen. Don't know if others are having the issue or if it's my end

Hi Rod. Something odd's happening when I follow that link, it keeps reverting to my you tube home screen. Don't know if others are having the issue or if it's my end

Hi Rod, it keeps asking me to sign in to continue to Youtube, I have never had to do that before !!

Best regards

Craig.

Hi gentlemen.

Sorry about that - not sure what the problem is.  Try this link: it's taken from a different place.  If that doesn't work, I'll delete the video and upload it again.

Fingers crossed!!

Rod

• Like 7

Hi Rod

Will this convince you?

Dave

attachicon.gif58880 at Abergavenny 1Sep51.jpg

Hi Dave.

In a word, yes!!

Question is: what to do about it?  For the moment, I'll take the easy way out and say the preservation society got it wrong!!  (it does happen).  I'll make a decision in the not-too-distant future on whether to change them.

Rod

Hi Rod

I'm not trying to find fault, but if you are portraying an unusual numbering style, it needs to be as accurate as available information allows. You are quite correct, of course, there have been some real preservation howlers but hopefully we're better than that!

Cheers

Dave

p.s. mine will be 58911 in an early BR livery:

post-5366-0-34339000-1522100540_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Hi all.

First item of news is that the Ivatt is back from works - there's photos and a short video to follow.

However, I should also note that I've had the covers off the layout this afternoon and the new felt I put on a few weeks ago has really worked.  The previous damp bits are now nice and dry - stained, but dry.  It's kept the heavy rain of the last day or two out very well - more that can be said for my kitchen extension roof - but that's another story and completely   :offtopic:   !!

Back to the Ivatt: she's been at Jintyman's works and had the previous ESU 1.1A chip with SWD sound replaced by a Zimo 645 chip with Paul Chetter sound.  Added to that, new twin speakers in place of the previous single one and the addition of a "stay-alive" capacitor.  But the most obvious is the weathering: she's finished as a looked-after, but used in service, preserved loco - usually hauling the preserved "Welsh Dragon" rake of 3 non-corridor coaches.   Pics here:

First, passing the Down Outer Home:

post-7571-0-00003200-1522783068_thumb.jpg 

Then 2 views in the country between the Down Outer and Inner Homes:

post-7571-0-17196500-1522783086_thumb.jpg post-7571-0-02046400-1522783106_thumb.jpg

Finally, passing the Down Inner Home:

post-7571-0-14872800-1522783125_thumb.jpg

I then did a short video of the train entering the station, here:

Hope you enjoy the pics and video - the latter is a bit dark at first as I did it on my phone.  I'll do another one of the return journey in a day or two

I think the loco looks fantastic - this is what she was like before:

post-7571-0-83905300-1522785047_thumb.jpg

Quite a transformation!!  Thank you, David.

I found that the capacitor didn't really have enough "beef" to keep the loco going: after some discussion with Jintyman I swapped the capacitors between the 08 and the Ivatt and they both run perfectly now.  The one in the 08 is one of Paul Chetter's and kept the loco running for quite a while on the ballast when I hadn't reversed the catch point!  The 08, however, has a sprung middle driver whereas the Ivatt has a rigid chassis: I'd never really thought about compensated/sprung chassis before - the joys of long wheelbase diesel locos and DMUs, picking up off at least 4 axles!!  Jinty's also now got my Coal Tank for some work and we'll put capacitors in that one certainly - not only is it a rigid wheelbase but it's a bit light, too.  (The Coal Tank might also be renumbered, Dave!!!)

I've found that I can run all my stock on the layout - just!!  If I want a weekday service the "Welsh Dragon" set will be banished to the rear siding (story: there's not enough room at the preservation depot at New Brighton due to track relaying there so the set is stored at WKT during the week.  It will be diesel-hauled back to the depot overnight Friday ready for weekend services.]   Weekend services will see the parcels rake and a loco similarly stabled in the back road, awaiting the opening of the mail order depot on the Monday.  How we cope before and at Christmas is another matter!!  The limiting factor is the fiddle yard - I could do with an extra road but I'm stuck with what I've got!!  That's probably a cue for some creative thinking from some readers but I can cope with what I've got, thanks gentlemen!!

That's all for now.

More soon.

Rod

• Like 12

Hi Rod.

Nice loco - Dave is going to do me one later this year but mine will be an "in service" version for the Ramchester local. Not sure of the number yet but cant make my mind up about auto fitting. Still I have plenty of time to make up my mind.

Rod

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all.

Back again - and it's a bit of a bonanza this time - 5 videos!!  They're in sequence:  I've left them separate as I thought together they might be too long.

However, other news first: I've sorted the dead frog.  I've given it the kiss of life - or, to be precise, a squirt of contact cleaner!!  I use Tortoise motors and the frog was dead in both directions, so I thought it could be a wire off.  They were all intact, however, so I just used the contact cleaner, changed the point a few times and, hey, good as new.  Actually, I'd forgotten about it until the 08 stalled on it: the stay-alive isn't powerful enough to keep it going, but that can be sorted in the future.  For the moment, though, the point's OK.

With the videos below you'll notice some lamp posts missing on the platform: they've been taken down for maintenance!!  That's the story, anyway: the fact is that the Blutack they stand in seems to have dried out so they keep falling over!!  They be fixed more permanently once I've done the road and fence in front of the houses.  Also, keep your eye on the Down Inner Home signal at the top right of the picture to indicate an arrival.

So, here they are.  It's a Sunday in Summer and, following on from the last one which showed "The Welsh Dragon" (hereinafter referred to as TWD) arriving in platform 1, the 115 has left for Birkenhead from platform 2 and been replaced by the Thumper, also on the Birkenhead service.  In the first one, the Thumper leaves for Birkenhead again:

Next, TWD reverses from P1 to stand at the ground signals on the Up Main prior to picking up water as a DMU from Chester arrives in P2.  TWD then moves into the siding next to the headshunt where the water column is situated:

Whilst it is there, a DMU arrives from Birkenhead into platform 1.  [The plane noise is a Typhoon flying around BAe at Warton - just down the road]:

Next, the DMU form platform 1 enters the stabling point, having finished bringing in day trippers - it will be in use later in the day to return them to Birkenhead and Liverpool.  TWD then returns to platform 1 via the Up Main, following which the DMU leaves platform 2 for Chester.

Finally, TWD sets off for New Brighton.  It's a bit of a spirited departure as the amount of space on the memory card in the camera was running down quickly (I had a second left when I turned it off!!):

I hope you enjoy them.  I enjoyed making them and showing the operating potential of the layout.  Let me know what you think.

But I really must get on with some scenery sometime!!!

More soon.

Rod

• Like 11

Absolutely superb, Rod.  You really ought to get this on a DVD for the Guild's collection to be appreciated by a wider audience!

Keith

HI Keith.

Thanks for your comments. 

I'll give the Guild a go: I've just had a look on the website and Chris Simpson is the man.  Added to which, he doesn't live a million miles away from me!!!  Thanks for the suggestion - mind you, looking back, you made it a few years ago, too but I didn't do anything about it then.  Will do so now, though!!

Rod

EDIT 11.45:   Contact made - I'll be making a demo DVD shortly.

Edited by Dmudriver

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all.

Following on from my last post,  .........  life's got quite hectic!!!!  I got in touch with Chris Simpson and, as he lives not 5 miles away from me, he came round to have a look at the railway.  Yes, he wants a video of it!!  So I've work to do, filming at least another 45 minutes of blue diesel action.  I'll try some new viewpoints, too.

While he was here, Chris suggested the layout would make a good article for the Guild Gazette: so, a bit of a write up, layout plan and a couple of photos emailed to the editor and "yes, please".  So, ...  more photos to take and a write up to expand.

What this has made me think, though, is that I must get a bit more done to the scenery: nothing too drastic or detailed (for the moment) but enough to make the back fence look decent and to "green up" the brown embankments round the station area.   Plenty to do, then!!

On top of all that, I went to the NW0GM event at Leigh yesterday and, amongst other things, saw the new Darstaed blue/grey Mark 1 coaches and decided to replace my Heljans with them.  I've read the thread on here about them and noted the height problem; also the join between body side and solebars but "in the flesh" they looked superb - particularly weathered.  They also feel nice and solid, too.  So that means my rake of Heljans will be up for sale.  The cheapest second hand ones I saw yesterday were £180 each:  I'll let mine go - as a rake - for less than that each.  If anyone's interested, please PM me.

I also decided that, to make up a bit of a shortfall, that I'll sell my Coal Tank.  Much as I like it, it's surplus to requirements, if I'm really honest with myself,  Again, if anyone's interested, please PM me.

All I've done on the layout is to reset the chip in the Ivatt back to the default and then reset it to how I like it set up: I tried to run it on a DC layout last weekend and it didn't run too well afterwards.  It's fine again now.

Watch this space!!  More soon.  (I'm just off to catch up on "Salamander"!!)

Rod

Edited by Dmudriver
  • Like 3

Hi all.

Following on from my last post,  .........  life's got quite hectic!!!!  I got in touch with Chris Simpson and, as he lives not 5 miles away from me, he came round to have a look at the railway.  Yes, he wants a video of it!!  So I've work to do, filming at least another 45 minutes of blue diesel action.  I'll try some new viewpoints, too.

While he was here, Chris suggested the layout would make a good article for the Guild Gazette: so, a bit of a write up, layout plan and a couple of photos emailed to the editor and "yes, please".  So, ...  more photos to take and a write up to expand.

What this has made me think, though, is that I must get a bit more done to the scenery: nothing too drastic or detailed (for the moment) but enough to make the back fence look decent and to "green up" the brown embankments round the station area.   Plenty to do, then!!

On top of all that, I went to the NW0GM event at Leigh yesterday and, amongst other things, saw the new Darstaed blue/grey Mark 1 coaches and decided to replace my Heljans with them.  I've read the thread on here about them and noted the height problem; also the join between body side and solebars but "in the flesh" they looked superb - particularly weathered.  They also feel nice and solid, too.  So that means my rake of Heljans will be up for sale.  The cheapest second hand ones I saw yesterday were £180 each:  I'll let mine go - as a rake - for less than that each.  If anyone's interested, please PM me.

I also decided that, to make up a bit of a shortfall, that I'll sell my Coal Tank.  Much as I like it, it's surplus to requirements, if I'm really honest with myself,  Again, if anyone's interested, please PM me.

All I've done on the layout is to reset the chip in the Ivatt back to the default and then reset it to how I like it set up: I tried to run it on a DC layout last weekend and it didn't run too well afterwards.  It's fine again now.

Watch this space!!  More soon.  (I'm just off to catch up on "Salamander"!!)

Rod

You not going to wait for the Dapol versions then Rod?

Paul R

You not going to wait for the Dapol versions then Rod?

Paul R

Someone else mentioned that on Saturday, Paul.  At that time, I wasn't really aware Dapol were bringing them out.  In the Gazette (received today) their advert says "Expect 1st EP at Doncaster".  I don't know what EP means, but I assume first test item.  Maybe I'll wait until then and have a good look, but the B/G Darstaed ones were weathered and did look really good.  I handled one, too and it felt nice and solid.   Decisions, decisions!!

Rod

Someone else mentioned that on Saturday, Paul.  At that time, I wasn't really aware Dapol were bringing them out.  In the Gazette (received today) their advert says "Expect 1st EP at Doncaster".  I don't know what EP means, but I assume first test item.  Maybe I'll wait until then and have a good look, but the B/G Darstaed ones were weathered and did look really good.  I handled one, too and it felt nice and solid.   Decisions, decisions!!

Rod

Aren't the 1st lot of Dapol release's representing the coaches as built ? ie with the as built early windows ? so the later syle windowed coaches will be in the next batch released by Dapol in .... who knows when.

Best regards

Craig.

Edited by muddys-blues
  • Like 1

Hi gentlemen.

Sorry about that - not sure what the problem is.  Try this link: it's taken from a different place.  If that doesn't work, I'll delete the video and upload it again.

Fingers crossed!!

Rod

Surprised you haven't modelled one of the two EX-LNWR Coal Tanks that worked on the Wirral system prior to electrification that had widened side tanks; numbers 7744 & 7759.