West Kirby Town: narrow gauge is coming to town.

Dmudriver

I've got some OO stuff, mostly stuff I made or converted that I won't part with even though I have no layout. 

My thinking is that when I retire I will join the local club (once the pandemic is over) and hopefully I will have a chance to run on theirs!

Just a thought!

Paul R

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Hroth said:

Its wise to concentrate on one scale at a time*... 

Have a good Christmas and lets all wish for a better New Year!

* Not advice that I've always followed.

Depends what you start with.

If you are concentrating on Z, N, TT, H0, 009, OO, O-16.5 or S then it does no harm to let your attention wander...

• Funny 1

3 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

Depends what you start with.

If you are concentrating on Z, N, TT, H0, 009, OO, O-16.5 or S then it does no harm to let your attention wander...

I thought I wouldn't mention some of the things that are currently languishing in storage, but seeing as you mentioned it...

N: A freelance interpretation of Andrews House station on the Tanfield Railway

Historic: Layouts using TT (Triang), Hornby Dublo 3-rail, OO Triang Grey track, Triang Super 4, Hornby O Tinplate

HO: Fanciful "Continental" branch terminus, Even more fanciful US outline "thing"

OO Gauge: Minories, Generic Roundy

O-16.5: Freelance preserved narrow gauge light railway. Set in Midsomer*...

O:  Something to use with a Lima 4F, Mk1 coach and mineral wagon, a modern Basset Lowke tinplate BR brake van, a Dapol Class 08 loco and several yards of Peco flexitrack.

A comprehensive lack of concentration, eh?  :crazy:

* So there's an investigation going on too...

Edited by Hroth
Forgot to specify the N gauge layout, and Midsomer...
  • Funny 4

Wow, is it Christmas Eve already??  I've lost track of time this year!!

Anyway, it's time to wish everyone a good Christmas - as far as you can in the current circumstances - and a good New Year - and hopefully a significantly better one than 2020!!

Today has been a good day, weatherwise in particular so, after a socially distanced walk around the village with my son and his family followed by hot chocolates sitting wrapped up in my garden (oops, naughty!!), I managed to get into the shed.  Shunted a few things around and took a couple of pics.  

Best way to describe them?  Maybe "little and large"?  Not very original, but appropriate!!

IMG_20201224_160908.jpg.7e0873e8ccab0fcc97e3913ad72529fc.jpg

IMG_20201224_161000.jpg.32e13c378bf8863d3c25dfbdff15dec2.jpg

I mentioned in an earlier post dispensers on the oil drums and some dustbins.  Well, they've appeared on the layout:

IMG_20201224_161019.jpg.51baf0f153bb784165c6057cbfa4fd1a.jpg

IMG_20201224_161400.jpg.6786cfd6857b52e43f4702a3a431fd39.jpg

IMG_20201224_161411.jpg.8067c561e76bddbbcfaaeee66a8e6a7b.jpg

It's coming on!!   Now back in the warmth of the house though due out soon for carol singing in the road outside - socially distanced, of course!!

Once again, have a good Christmas and all the best for 2021.

Rod

• Like 18

Merry Christmas to you too Rod and a successful & healthy 2021.

Nice set of photos above particularly like the Fuel point additions.

Thanks too for your kindness in replying to my questions and all those wonderful videos you made.

Regards

• Thanks 1

• Dmudriver changed the title to West Kirby Town: New Year - a time for reflection!

Hi all.

Well, here we are - New Year's Eve!  Not exactly a night for celebrating as we've just gone into tier 4 and I've been told to shield again!!  B*gg*r!!  But at least I've got a disco party on Radio 2 banging away in the background  (and they're playing "YMCA" as I type!!  No, I'm not doing the actions!!) - and a vodka liqueur lined up for later (when I've finished this brew!!) 

IMG_20201231_204529.jpg.feb57faa0567214aadc74abd136d1dd5.jpg

And no, that isn't Liverpool red, it's Swiss red!**  Bought on our last holiday in the Berner Oberland.  Oh, and the tea is actually stronger that it looks - the photo's a bit pale!!

However, as the revised thread title suggests, I've started reflecting on where I'm up to.  As I sat in bed this morning with my first brew of the day, I started wondering where my mojo's gone and why.   The rather reluctant conclusion I came to is that, subconsciously, I've come to think that the layout is virtually finished.  OK, I need to do more on the scenery but as regards operations, which is my main interest, I've achieved everything I set out to do.  I've got the track layout I wanted, I've got more than enough stock to run the layout, a couple of scenarios within which I can operate and I can't think of any more realistic moves.  The station area in particular reflects the area I wanted to model and I know the "country" areas need finishing but overall, I'm not far off.

I suppose I enjoy the journey rather than the destination. 

So, the next question is: where do I go from here?  Running the same operations continually can get boring and I can't invite anyone round to have a play/operating session and that's unlikely to be able to happen for a while yet.

Rip it up and start something else in 0 gauge, still using my blue diesel and DMU stock?   Big job and appealing but I'm knocking on a bit age wise and crawling about under the baseboard doing wiring and point motors is pretty much beyond me now - the odd repair's OK, but a complete new layout - noooooooh!!  :no:

Drop down to 4mm?  I've looked at that already, a month or two ago.  The answer then was no and I can't see  any reason to change that opinion.

Sell off all my blue diesel and DMU stock and go for loco-hauled LNWR operation, using the same track layout?  As I've said before, the LNWR has always been my (very close) second love.  It would mean building, buying or borrowing LNWR stock and I'm not sure I could get enough together quick enough to be able to operate any sort of service.  But, ....  the signalling would need to be changed, the fire station would go and be replaced by  ???   A goods yard perhaps?  But that would likely need a bigger fiddle yard.  Maybe use the DMU stabling point as a goods yard?    It's a possibility but needs a lot more thought and research but there would certainly be plenty to do - certainly another journey to start out on.

Sell off my DMUs and go third rail, using SR stock that's been reallocated to Merseyside?  (Peter Clark does kits and RTR). Very tempting - but once I'd laid the third rail and got the stock I'd end up with much the same pattern of operations.

Go backwards to BR steam, running an intensive suburban service with a spare loco running onto the back of an incoming train?  Again, tempting, but, being honest, I'm a diesel man at heart - and a blue diesel one at that - so I'm not sure that scenario would last long.

For the moment, my thinking is following along the lines of updating all the pointwork and keeping all the stock I've got.  I've said before that I'm not entirely happy with my handbuilt pointwork but I did enjoy making it so replacing it all to 0-MF standards would be quite a challenge.  I could start by replacing the Peco points with hand built 0-MF and then the curved trailing crossover by the Inner Home signal.  Once I've got the hang of it, then I'd move on to the more complicated station throat.  

So, to make progress, I've spent a fair bit of time today reading about Templot.  I've found I need to read the Templot stuff in short chunks but I think I'm beginning to understand the basics of it.  At least it's another challenge.

So, watch this space in the New Year!!   

I'm now off to watch TV and sip my vodka liqueur.  I'll stay up until midnight, not so much to see the new  year in, but to make sure the old one gets out!!

All the best to all my followers - I hope 2021 is a much better year for all of us than 2020.

Stay safe.

Rod

** Yes, the mouse mat underneath is an Everton one!!

Edited by Dmudriver
  • Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

Best wishes for the New Year, only 32 minutes to go, and the war zone sound effects are starting to kick in already! Can't anyone tell the time nowadays?  :jester:

As for WKT, you could always do a sort of backdating to Wirral Railway/LMS post grouping - pre electrification, make the concrete canopy removable, reinstate the water crane at the end of the platform, etc and Bobs your Uncle!

The steam locos and rolling stock should keep you busy...

And you could always return to BR Blue whenever your fancy takes you!

Anyway, Happy New Year!

Edited by Hroth
adjusting time, and spelin...

Hi Rod, Happy New Year.

Having read your post above with great interest, as I am almost at the same situation. A few weeks ago I decided that as I couldn't go into the loft to extend Seven Mills I would sell it, Lock Stock and Barrell, and go back to OO, either as a Roundy, or a City Terminus with intensive Loco and DMU operation. 

I changed my mind, and I'm now building Bench Road which is an extension for a Stabling / Fuelling Point. Again like you, I have bits to finish both on the new boards, and repair where the Fuel Pumps have been removed from Seven Mills, but I'm still not 100% certain that it will stay.

I had a good running / photo / Video session yesterday, but still came away thinking, what if!

I fully understand your dilemma, I even considered a busy Preserved Terminus and Sheds in OO, a bit like Loughborough or Bewdley, again, age is a barrier to a lot of things, but not for ideas and planning.

All the best on whatever you decide, and for 2021 and beyond. 

Happy new year Rod and best wishes for 2021.

I understand your reflections written in your post above and have had recent similar thoughts myself.

I have decided to do more of a micro build in 7mm but keeping the fiddle yard side when doing any new builds. The main scenic board presently are about 8ft but could be made even smaller if required.  Presently my fiddle yard is 50/50 with with scenic to the front consisting mainly of a kick back siding come head shunt and the Fiddle hidden behind a backscene panel.

This will give me options that allow me to complete my builds as they are smaller while still allowing me to enjoy building different locations etc.  Having the fiddle yard all ready is a big help as all my electricals. mimic and control systems are intended to be kept there with a multi-plug/socket to transfer all the electricals across.

My present layout build is currently being rehashed to conform to these RULES and will allow for up to 5 points being switched.

It is intended to allow me to keep playing trains while I build any new "layout" then when ready I will just align and connect up and I'm off.......................  the best of both worlds ....... allegedly.

As a Liverpool Red I could never drink out of a blue mug/cup, Bleugh!  :no: :jester:

Best

• Friendly/supportive 1

HI Rod

Some very thought provoking words there. I have had similar thoughts about Black Notley not that I am anywhere near finishing it. My frustration is the need to have it set up outside and the time it takes to get it all working after which I then have a few ours before I have to put it all away again. 

I have invested in some of these White Rose trestels and I shale ordering more which will allow me to replace the folding legs on the baseboards which If I am honest don't work. They were supposed to speed up the time taken to erect the layout but in fact that make it more difficult. The trestles can be kept in the shed in the summer and are much quicker and easier to erect. I am hoping that once I stop work in April I will have more time to have the layout up and work on it but I do agree that the journey sometimes seems to be more enjoyable that the destination. I do love building  models so the fact that I only have two boards up at a time is not actually causing me too much distress currently. Once I am too old to keep getting Notley out I am just going to build a 2/3 board short layout so I can enjoy moving short trains about but hopefully that is many years off yet.

As for  West Kirby I would dearly love to see you install third rail and build some local EMU's rather than run ex Southern! Just saying!

Paul R

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, Dmudriver said:

And no, that isn't Liverpool red, it's Swiss red!

As in Shaqiri?

For what its worth I thoroughly enjoy dipping in and out of this thread. We all need variety - i suddenly bought a load of USA stock which I'm now off loading again. 

You are right though - finishing the journey can be a sort of let down. I made an effort to clear out old stuff I was never going to do and finish off various things I've been chipping away at for years during this last year. Now I have done so I'm struggling to decide what to start and barely doing anything at all.

Whatever you do layout wise, don't stress over the decision - give it a bit for things to pick up again in the wider world and see how you feel then.

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

it is an interesting conundrum that faces all modellers and herein is the problem

Whisper it quietly but railway operation is in essence a limited number of repetitive operations . Trains arrive and depart , steam hauled may allow a run round , pause for water . Pick up goods stop drop off/place/pick up wagons . The simpler the layout the more restrictive in part the operation. Full size what transfixes us is the sounds and smells and above all the interaction , opportune footplate rides , exploring overgrown sidings , conversations , a brew with the signalman  things that are far harder to recreate in the gauge of your choice

The fun in railway modelling is in the building , recreating or reimagining a long lost scene . It is what captivates and challenges the mind and our skills . Once the railway is built and the "historic" operation replicated the interest can wane , hence the cycle of tinkering , improvements, arrivals of an A4 on a running in turn on your GWR branch line terminus . I like my Hornby o gauge three rail electric , just for the fun of running . For all the detail of the latest models there is something charmingly tactile and nostalgic in the tinplate train clattering round a loop . Similarly my oo gauge is a traditional 8*6 double track loop . I can sit back and watch trains , or shunt a busy town goods yard 

I've thoroughly enjoyed seeing West Kirby evolve. It is a brilliant bit of modelling and I hope a way that allows it to hold your interest can be found 

• Like 4
  • Agree 4

It keeps being mentioned that WKT town is crying out for the third rail and it's emblematic EMU's

How about adding to your skills base and having a go at etching and 3D printing to get you a fleet of 503's

I did post on here the other year that I had made a start on drawing up an etch for the 503's but work and life has got in the way. Maybe once I retire in the next 2 months that project might get moved on and I can get something on the rails

1468885886_Class503.jpeg.32787bbeb12ae47cad06452b93bc7460.jpeg

• Like 7

• Dmudriver changed the title to West Kirby Town: time to get going again!!
On 03/01/2021 at 13:25, sidmouth said:

it is an interesting conundrum that faces all modellers and herein is the problem

Whisper it quietly but railway operation is in essence a limited number of repetitive operations . Trains arrive and depart , steam hauled may allow a run round , pause for water . Pick up goods stop drop off/place/pick up wagons . The simpler the layout the more restrictive in part the operation. Full size what transfixes us is the sounds and smells and above all the interaction , opportune footplate rides , exploring overgrown sidings , conversations , a brew with the signalman  things that are far harder to recreate in the gauge of your choice

The fun in railway modelling is in the building , recreating or reimagining a long lost scene . It is what captivates and challenges the mind and our skills . Once the railway is built and the "historic" operation replicated the interest can wane , hence the cycle of tinkering , improvements, arrivals of an A4 on a running in turn on your GWR branch line terminus . I like my Hornby o gauge three rail electric , just for the fun of running . For all the detail of the latest models there is something charmingly tactile and nostalgic in the tinplate train clattering round a loop . Similarly my oo gauge is a traditional 8*6 double track loop . I can sit back and watch trains , or shunt a busy town goods yard 

I've thoroughly enjoyed seeing West Kirby evolve. It is a brilliant bit of modelling and I hope a way that allows it to hold your interest can be found 

Hi sidmouth.

I read this and 3 words came to my mind -  Hit.  Nail.  Head.   It summed up exactly how I feel although I hadn't expressed it as you did.  Thank you.

And thanks also to everyone else who has commented and shared their thoughts - and experiences - on the subject.  I'm not alone and it makes you realise what a community we have on RMweb!

However, I've changed the thread title as, after a period of introspection, it is time to get going again.  I've decided that I'll concentrate on rebuilding all the pointwork.  I've joined the Templot forum, I've printed off my first template - and am now trying to remember how I did it!!!  So that is my next part of the project.  It won't be done quickly - I'm setting off on another journey!! - but I'll take my time and enjoy it.  My thinking is to build a set of points off the board and then replace only when they're all ready to my satisfaction.  That way I can still play when I want to and the layout downtime will be reduced.  I'll post updates as and when.

I'll keep the 0 gauge LNWR scenario in mind but it is not a priority at all.   The other considerations have all been binned - even third rail for now.  If 503s ever come to fruition - go for it, Park! - a re-evaluation may take place but we'll see when that happens.

In the meantime, though, I've been doing some maintenance work on rolling stock.   One of the 115 power cars has, over the last couple of months, started seizing up as it was running.  It turns out that it was the delrin chain lifting off the gear wheel on the non-powered axle and jamming.  I managed to get a link out but couldn't join the rest up again - inadequate tools and shaky hands to blame!!  So I put the link back and fitted some plastic dowelling to the bogie to act as a tensioner.  So far, it's worked fine.  I did the same to the other power car just for good measure, then cleaned and oiled both bogies so now it runs really well.

I've since lubricated the 108 2-car power bogie and that runs much more smoothly and quietly now.  Next job is the 25 which is making some strange noises!!  And after that, I'll do the rest of the stock to get it all ready for lockdown 3 running!!

All the best for the New Year everyone - even if the early part of it is back in lockdown!!  Time for modelling again!!

More soon.

Rod

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Rod,

It’s good to hear that your mojo has returned.  Sometimes a period of reflection can be very beneficial, and we all have our ups and downs.  The current restrictions don’t help!

I’ve thoroughly enjoyed building track from Templot, I hope you find it as satisfying.

Regarding your bogie, I have seen a solution where a piece of wire is bent into an arc, and this is sprung against the Delrin chain, as a tensioner.  I’m not sure where I saw it, but something like a cam chain tensioner, of which there are lots of pictures on the w3.  If this doesn’t make sense, let me know and I’ll try to do better!

keep well!

Simon

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hi all.

The cleaning/maintaining is moving on.  The 25 is now fettled - it had got very dry, so it's been lubricated and the wheels cleaned and now runs smoothly again.  

I've also done a bit more on my Spanish lorry - I've put some Network Rail branding on it and weathered it a bit, too.  Problem is I've no matt varnish to seal it with so I have to be careful how I handle it!!  It still needs proper number plates and an off side driving mirror - the second photo really shows that up!!   Whether the branding is correctly placed, I don't really know: I've seen pics of BR road vehicles and the placement varies according to the bodywork as far as I could see.  There again, I didn't see any pics of BR low-sided tippers, anyway!   I could have done with a red double arrow on the bonnet, but I didn't have a small enough red one.   To my eyes, it doesn't look too bad - just need to put some loose ballast in it now - and maybe a couple of fence posts. with some fencing, too.  

2009614683_IMG_20210106_185540-Copy.jpg.9cab46110025799a2c30d74e602cd89a.jpg

895390310_IMG_20210106_185549-Copy.jpg.b4fa401de914e4f19405a2e5e50dfc4a.jpg

I am going to overhaul all the rolling stock ready for running when the weather gets better and rather than bring it into the house piece by piece, I've decided to do it in the shed - I've a small picnic table in there which also doubles as a bit of a work desk.  But then I looked out of the window, saw this:

IMG_20210108_144714.jpg.412cb706979cf88509e0e6893a2b6b44.jpg

and stayed in the nice warm house!!   Even with a convection heater full on, the shed wouldn't have been that pleasant in this weather.  So I binged-watched some tv instead!!  Watched the last two episodes of "The Fall".  Strewth - that was a bit intense, that whole series!!!  I'm now looking for something a bit more light hearted - "Vikings" is rather good, but I've only 3 episodes of that to go.  I've watched them all since Series 1, episode 1 - something like 86 episodes so far!!  And I've enjoyed it.  So a trawl through the catch up channels is in order soon.

Next time I'll be back with news that's more model railway oriented !! 

Stay safe.

Rod

• Like 11

Rod

You can find the UK numberplate font on the web. Thats what I did with mine. I used black and white plates but if you wanted the reflective type that shouldn't be an issue.

Paul R

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Right, where was I up to??  I finished binge watching "Vikings" then started watching "Cardinal" but that's a bit heavy, too, so I've gone onto "Death in Paradise" for something lighter!!

Oops, this is a model railway forum so I'd better get back on track!!

Finally got my act together as the sun's shone a bit and got me more enthusiastic so I'm back in the shed.  I looked out of the window this morning and saw that the oil heater in the shed that I keep on low when it's cold is actually having some effect: here's the roof of the shed early(ish!) morning:

IMG_20210123_092629.jpg.035a690d4296b6e08f56ff60c2f284ea.jpg

The snow has been melted above where the heater stands!!  Mind you, if it's melting the snow on the roof maybe I should be thinking of insulating the roof!!

The cleaning/maintaining is carrying on and this is what the interior of the shed looks like when I'm working in there:

IMG_20210123_174616.jpg.87afc23fafc2faf25a642db039137758.jpg

Convector heater in the foreground, oil-filled in the middle.  And here's a closer view of the work area:

IMG_20210123_174705.jpg.69b4d32ff57e3f6d0ca61e8b00f387a1.jpg

The junk to the right of the table (under the board - I'm not referring to the stock on the layout!!) is what my replacement fridge/freezer came in - waiting for me to take it to the tip!!

I've done all the diesel locos and started the DMU power cars.  Hauled stock and DMU trailers will be next.  I'll finish off with the kettles and associated stock!!  So I'm aiming to have everything cleaned for the better weather when I can start running outside again - and hopefully have some visitors round, too.  Pandemic always permitting of course!!

On which subject - I had my first jab on Thursday.  Very impressed with the organisation!!  Not got a date for the second yet, though.  Hopefully I'll be back with another update - on the railway, that is!! - before then, though.

More soon.

Rod

• Like 12
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1