West Kirby Town: narrow gauge is coming to town.

Dmudriver

Bah humbug !!!!

You're a bit early for Xmas Craig?????

Hi Jinty

Many thanks for the tip - Seems to work for me that way.

Cheers, Bob.

No problem Bob, I've had to do it that way for ages now, I think it's some problem with Internet Explorer.

Jinty ;)

Hi Jinty.

Thanks for the tip. I tried it last night on a couple of dummy runs and it worked for me, too. Like you, I think it's something to do with IE. It only seems to have happened since IE was last updated.

Rod

Hi Rod, are your train movements set to a specific timetable ? what are your space options in getting an inclined section for the DMUs on top of the four roads in the picture below ? I suppose in a shortish run as it is in O Gauge you only really need to get just above the height of the stock in the fiddle yard if you are running fixed rake formations. 

This was the reason I asked about gradient measurements in one of my previous posts yesterday to see what the tolerances are for 7mm modelling.

post-7571-0-49387900-1435955407_thumb.jp

I'd be surprised if you can get away with much more than 1 in 50, say an inch in four feet, and you'll need to allow a vertical curve, maybe 6 feet radius, top & bottom to lift the stock - your bogies would need to be able to rock to allow the stock accommodate the change in gradient.

You'll need about four and a half inches allowing for the thickness of the shelf, so you'll need the thick end of twenty feet, taking everything into account.

Big, 0 gauge...

Best

Simon

I'd be surprised if you can get away with much more than 1 in 50, say an inch in four feet, and you'll need to allow a vertical curve, maybe 6 feet radius, top & bottom to lift the stock - your bogies would need to be able to rock to allow the stock accommodate the change in gradient.

You'll need about four and a half inches allowing for the thickness of the shelf, so you'll need the thick end of twenty feet, taking everything into account.

Big, 0 gauge...

Best

Simon

Thanks Simon, I knew one of the "professional gang" would know.

Happy modelling

Craig.

Hi all.

Having taken Jinty's advice, I can now insert stuff into my posts, so here's the link to the Scalescenes church I was talking about yesterday:  http://www.scalescenes.com/products/T014-Church

I'm thinking of doing a mock up in card, just to see how much space it will take up.  The dimensions are in N and 00 but I'm assuming I'd increase the 00 by 175% to get the right size for 0 gauge.  However, as the plans are drawn to fit onto A4 paper, I'd have to get them printed onto A3 or something similar.  I've got the free low relief garage to build but I need that printing off first.  I assume somewhere like Office World would do that?  Does anyone know?

Craig, I don't run to a timetable but I like to try and follow a sequence.  Monday to Friday the service to Liverpool, in real life in 1975, was every 10 minutes in the rush hour, then every 20 minutes outside it.  On Saturdays it was every 20 minutes and Sundays every 30 minutes.   There weren't departures to Chester, Manchester, Birmingham, etc, or even parcels trains, so I have to imagine a timetable where these are fitted in between the regular WKT - Birkenhead (change for Liverpool) trains.  One day I'll write a proper sequence out but for now I operate "on the hoof", so to speak, trying to ensure regular Birkenhead departures and arrivals.  So, in the rush hour, for example, a departure to Birkenhead, then a Chester: a B'head, then a Manchester, a B'head, then a Wrexham, a B'head, then a Chester, B'head, Birmingham, B'head , Wrexham, etc, etc.  Outside the rush hour, a Birkenhead followed by 2 others, every 20 minutes.  In between those, there's the arrivals and the empty stock movements, too, so there's plenty to keep me on my toes!!

As for elevated tracks in the fiddle yard, I don't really think that's a goer.  The height to the back of the board (the beam at the top left in the last picture you posted) is only 11":  I've tried to get a shelf in for odd items of stock and found it difficult - there really isn't much room at all as the roof slope is pretty shallow.  Plus I'd have to take the incline off the main line and the concept is that the double track on the shelf will run through countryside - possibly alongside a golf course if I can arrange it - so I don't really want extra tracks if I can help it.  I also envisage that section would be useful for photography.  I do have a long-term vision of what I want and I don't want to move far from that if I can help it.

It does look like my thinking is not to have any extra storage roads, but I've not made a definite decision yet!!

More soon.

Rod

Rod,

If you can get them under WKT, you'd not compromise your other plans - but as I said to Craig, it's a question of length - you need 20' to get up, or down, 4" plus baseboard thickness.

I do think that avoiding handling stock is worth thinking about.

Anyway, rule 1!!!

Best

Simon

• Like 1

Hi all.

I've been doing some measuring up today with a view to deciding whether to go for extra upper or lower level storage sidings.  For a single siding I'd need: 8' at one end for the longest train before the point leading to the incline to the storage; then 2' for the point and clearance; then 20' for the incline; then another 2' for point and clearance; then 8' for the sidings, if two.  A grand total of 40' for two sidings!!  (Or 38' for one!!)  The layout is only (only!!) 47' long, so it's possible but the entry to the storage sidings would need to be around the station throat or fiddle yard throat and I'm not prepared to alter those.  The station throat is true to prototype and the fiddle yard works well.  In other words - such storage is a non-runner. 

Thanks though, Simon, for the suggestion: it did make me think. 

As for cassettes, Craig, they'd have to be used in the fiddle yard and 1) the tracks are too close to fit any in and 2) the fiddle yard is outside and there's nowhere to store them easily.  Anyway, what I'd want to store is a 4x bogie van parcels rake or a 3x 57' push-pull rake plus loco so the cassettes would have to be big.  So that's a non-runner, too, I'm afraid, but thanks also for the suggestion.

That leaves me with either crane shunting or 2x sidings on the flat behind the scenery in the corner - which is where I want the church!!  I'll mock up a church and see how it looks, then decide on that one.

More soon.

Rod

Edited by Dmudriver

Hi Rod, with regards to the 2 x hidden sidings what would be the lean over access be like should something untoward happen ?

Craig.

Hi Craig. A problem!! Particularly with a 2' high backscene!!!  Another factor in the equation!

Rod

Rod, I don't know if I confused you but my thought was to have the storage sidings under WKT with access from the FY. A kick- back if you will.

You can have the fan of points on the gradient, as long as it is constant, saves a few feet. Your storage sidings would be under the scenic part of your layout,

Maybe it's more hassle than it's worth, but happy to have offered an option.

Best

Simon

• Like 2

Hi Rod taking in to account Simon's suggestion, how about remodelling the fiddle yard slightly, the foremost siding could then be set at half of the desired height required to go up or down, then the kick back on that siding can the continue with the rest of of the up or down distance to the other storage lines for the DMU stock say,

I will try to get a sketch on after to give you an idea of what s whirring round in my daft brain.

Best regards

Craig

• Like 1

Hi Craig.

Thanks for the thought but the foremost siding takes a 4-car DMU only and comes off a point so whilst I see what you're saying, I couldn't fit it in without altering the fiddle yard throat - and that is at its optimum setting at the moment.  I could use the foremost kickback siding as the "dive-under" but the gradient would require it to intrude into the scenic section on the outside boards and I don't want that, either.  In real life the railway runs alongside a golf course on one side for part of it's route and I want to try and capture the open country feel on that section of the layout (even though I've only got 1' width to play with!)

Plus there'd be a fair bit of joinery work to do and then I'd have to protect it from the elements so, all in all, as I said before, I think under- or over-board fiddle sidings are a non-runner.  Thanks again for the thought, though, it's much appreciated.

Rod

Following on from Simon's post, a further thought struck me - I could move house and find one with a bigger garden, but I'd have to be able to airlift the shed as I don't want to build the station area - with all its wiring - again!!!!

Rod

Only the other day I was perusing a train register from West Kirby for 1953 - probably a bit old for you Rod !

About 25 years too early, beast66606, but I'd be interested to see it, though. Is there anyway you could send me a sample? I assume it's quite a big document - and it will include through workings via the Joint Station, too, won't it? That would be interesting to see.

Rod

Edit. Corrected spelling!

Edited by Dmudriver

Hi Rod,

Looking at your fiddle yard it looks fully optimised, so I would stick with what you are doing. You can always add and take away trains by hand if necessary, a far simpler method than major track and baseboard renewals.

Or as you say, buy a house with a bigger garden!!!! ;)

Jinty ;)

Edited by Jintyman
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

About 25 years too early, beast66606, but I'd be interested to see it, though. Is there anyway you could send me a sample? I assume it's quite a bit document - and it will include through workings via the Joint Station, too, won't it? That would be interesting to see.

Rod

When I bring it home I'll scan some of it, it's still a few hundred miles away from me currently - hopefully in the next month or so.

Hi Rod,

Looking at your fiddle yard it looks fully optimised, so I would stick with what you are doing. You can always add and take away trains by hand if necessary, a far simpler method than major track and baseboard renewals.

Or as you say, buy a house with a bigger garden!!!! ;)

Jinty ;)

Hi Rod, I agree with Jinty now .... there is no point in major upheavals on the FY, in my own opinion, I would use cassettes on the siding where the inspection saloon and 131 are to store your shorter DMUs, in fine weather running sessions though !!!

Or you could look at reducing your stock slightly, cough, cough cough cough cough, you could start with that blue thingy, the one parked up next to the buffers ...........  :drag:

post-7571-0-62182500-1429302018_thumb.jp

Edited by muddys-blues

Or you could look at reducing your stock slightly, cough, cough cough cough cough, you could start with that blue thingy, the one parked up next to the buffers ...........  :drag:

What the SPV??????

That isn't going to make much difference!!!!!

Jinty ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all.

Now that the school holidays are on us, I can have a rest from grandkid fetching and carrying, as their parents are both teachers and are on holiday with them. Unlike a lot of other grandparents I know, my involvement is less over the school holidays and I can spend more time modelling.

So I've started again!! And I needed to, as my shredder bin was full to overflowing. I've actually started on the scenery again. 6 pints of water, 1 packet of wallpaper paste and a load of shredded paper and I've achieved this:

post-7571-0-82846400-1437598808_thumb.jpg

post-7571-0-45977400-1437598829_thumb.jpg

post-7571-0-27623900-1437598856_thumb.jpg

I thought I'd have too much, but I was wrong!!! I need to do more! The area alongside the fuelling point needs building up so I think that's another bucket load!! I'm a bit concerned about what the surface will be like when it's dried: I've tried to smooth it out but I'll see. It looks worse in the pix than it actually felt when I was doing it: I may have to put some plaster or Polyfilla on it but I'll make that decision later.

In the first 2 pix you can just make out the line of the pathway from the station to the portacabin. There's also a bit of a cess along all the tracks where I've done the papier mache. though it's difficult to see in the pix.

So, I'm back. More soon.

Rod

EDIT PS I've even changed the title of the thread!!

Edited by Dmudriver
  • Like 9