West Kirby Town: narrow gauge is coming to town.

Dmudriver

Hi all.

It's amazing how things can take on a life of their own!! I'm now seriously looking at troughs to hold the stock that I wouldn't be using. Not in the fiddle yard where the roads are too close together, and there's nowhere really to keep them other than in the shed.

What I was looking at was loading them from the headshunt: a ramp from there to a trough laid along the DMU stabling point would do the job nicely. I could build a frame to hold them under the boards and that way they'd be easily accessible. They wouldn't need to be electrified as I'd just push the stock on.

I've fitted Kadees to the Mark 1s and BGs to make them easier to take off and on but I'm not really too keen on all the handling.

So troughs do look like a, shall we say "liberating", solution.

I've considered Simon's sidings on a ramp but I don't feel up to the woodwork involved and it would be a bit if a major exercise. Having used troughs at exhibitions, I'm more relaxed about them. And I don't need the excuse of more stock to start the project as I've already got stock that is stored in trays, anyway!!

It might be a month or two before anything happens but certainly the idea is becoming more and more appealing!! It'll need the wiring under the board tidying up but that's not a major job and needs doing anyway.

And, of course, all this detracts from scenery work!! So much to do .......... !!!!

More soon.

Rod

• Like 2

Hi all.

Things are moving on!!  I sold my 33 at Doncaster yesterday and ordered a JLTRT Class 25.  A pal is going to build it for me, but he's lent me a couple of his just to see how they run on the layout.  Here's a couple of pics of one of the next new kids on the block (the 150/2 has now been upgraded!):

post-7571-0-59624700-1465153258_thumb.jpg  post-7571-0-02812200-1465154045_thumb.jpg

The other is a 25/0.  He's lent me then to see if they're OK on the layout because they've both only got one power bogie.  Unfortunately, both of them struggle with the 4-coach Heljan rake of Mark 1s.  I don't really know why, either:  I suspect it's because of the Heljan wheel profiles as I've glued some of the corridor connections in the closed position as previously they were touching each other and I thought they were creating friction.  It didn't do a lot of good, unfortunately.  I don't know if fitting Easybuild bogies would help but I'm not sure how easy that would be.  Watch this space.  The answer may just be to have 2 powered bogies!!  The 25, however, does look good!!

The next thing is troughs: auld boot mentioned a couple of posts ago about the article in the Gazette about using plastic guttering. Whilst I've not seen the article, I saw such guttering in use on a layout at Doncaster - sorry, can't remember the layout name - I was too interested in the guttering!!!!   Anyway, I was going past the local B&Q today and for £4 something, I bought a 2 metre length.  These pics give an idea of how I'll use it: it fits nicely on the tracks in the stabling point.

post-7571-0-91939400-1465153237_thumb.jpg  post-7571-0-39777800-1465153250_thumb.jpg

2 metres is long enough for 4x Mark 1s, or the 115 set and I can cut them for shorter units/rakes.  Just need to design a ramp and some end stops now - oh, and then build a shelf underneath!!

And on that subject, I spent a couple of pleasant, if back-straining(!!), hours under the layout on Friday, tidying up the wiring underneath so the troughs won't snag any of it.

And finally I've got the "stay-alive" powerpack for the Coal Tank which I hope to fit in the next day or three.  I'll report on that when it's done.

More soon.

Rod

Edited by Dmudriver
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rod,

Definitely that 150 has been upgraded! I'll take a 25 and Mk1s over a 150 any day!  Better comfort, better interest and more noise :)  That BR Blue 25 sits well on the layout!

I see you've been trying ideas for cassettes too?  Is that 'U' shaped guttering?

Rich

Hi Rod,

I like the 'Rat' upgrade, I too have a JLTRT Rat to do at some point, only mine is the 24/1.

The guttering is a good idea, but I saw somewhere on the Tinterweb square section downpipe used as it held the stock well. They had cut the top 10mm off one side, but leaving 3 sections across to give extra support. I think the downpipe was about 3 1/2" square (if I remember correctly), for the life of me I can't find it now!!!! Typical.

Jinty ;)

• Like 1

Now we're talking ! Class 25 to replace a 33 and a 150.....

My class 24 has only 1 power bogie. It can manage 5 Bachmann brass mark 1s but I have parked a fair bit of extra weight over the power bogie.

The square down pipe is available from Wickes in black or white.

JF

Edited by Jon Fitness

Rod

I am surprised that a single power bogie won't handle 4 MK1's so can only conclude there is not enough weight.

I will be interested to see these gutters in use. Not 100% convinced about the strength here, particularly if you had a Heljan diesel in them. My own cassettes are/will be from Sundeala and aluminium angle which I got in stock several years ago. I will post a photo later this week. Appreciate though that aluminium angle is a darn site more expensive than it was and certainly a lot more than plastic guttering!

Paul R

Paul

Might I suggest something to prevent your stock escaping out of the ends?

Options I have seen include a tight-fitting chunk of foam rubber, and a rod fitting through holes in the sides of the angle.

Other solutions undoubtedly exist!

Best

Simon

If you're not going to add any track to the base what about sticking a length of upvc strip down the centre of the gutter well, it might stop the stock sliding about in the guttering. Something like this maybe (usual disclaimer about the company in this link, although I have bought from them in the past without incident)

http://celplas.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=25mm-DMould

This is starting to look like a giant version of those red plastic Hornby rerailers, which might not be a bad thing!

Paul

Might I suggest something to prevent your stock escaping out of the ends?

Options I have seen include a tight-fitting chunk of foam rubber, and a rod fitting through holes in the sides of the angle.

Other solutions undoubtedly exist!

Best

Simon

Simon

Yes good spot! The thinking is to cut partway down the sides just enough to slot a piece of plastikard in.

These are still in the raw state as made!

Paul R

Simon

Yes good spot! The thinking is to cut partway down the sides just enough to slot a piece of plastikard in.

These are still in the raw state as made!

Paul R

Hi Paul..

Just a thought re your troughs.  I don't know how you're going to use them but, assuming you have them side by side at times, you may get shorts occurring if the metal sides touch each other.  In that case, I'd suggest something to keep them away from each other.  On "Apethorne Junction" and "Oldham King Street Parcels", the MDF bases are a couple of millimetres wider than the metal sides to avoid just that scenario.  However, looking at your pics, it's a bit late for that now but anything really to keep them a few mm apart from each other might be useful.

Hope this is helpful.

Rod.

• Like 1

Hi all.

Thanks for all the comments re the troughs.

First of all, I've found some pictures on Facebook, posted by Normanton and Pontefract RMS of the show at Doncaster on Saturday.  The layout is called Ridsdale Town and there are a couple of pics that show the troughs in use.  These are they (assuming I'm infringing no copyright as they were posted on Facebook):

post-7571-0-46743400-1465421163_thumb.jpg  post-7571-0-66517400-1465421170_thumb.jpg

I would also use Peco track, glued or otherwise fastened to the bottom of the troughs.  It's interesting that they're not using end stops - something I personally would definitely do, particularly when you've got free-running stock, but each to his own.

The intention of mine is not to use them as part of an operating routine, but as storage for rakes of stock or DMUs that are not in use for a particular scenario.  Thus, for a weekend operation, I'd take off the parcels rake, the Mark 1s and the 150 and use 1st generation DMUs and the preserved steam "Welsh Dragon" set and the Coal tank and inspection saloon.  For weekday operation, I'd take off the steam stuff and maybe a DMU set, using the 150, Mark 1s and parcels rake.  Locos would not be stored on troughs, but in their individual carrying cases.

This means I won't be handling them that often, but I would have a fixed stop block at one end and a removable one at the other, plus, I'm thinking of a couple of lifting handle at a convenient space towards each end.  Then there's the shelf to build, but that's a few weeks off.

In the meantime, I've used both the 25s my pal lent me and they take the Mark 1s with no trouble so the answer for my new one seems to be 2x powered bogies plus reasonable weight.

I've done a couple of videos but am having trouble uploading them to YouTube.  Will try again tomorrow.

More soon.

Rod

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rod,

Do you know, i took photos of the layout on Saturday, but never thought to look at the hidden sections!!!  Would quite happily have taken some for you had I realised! Sorry!

Rich

Hi Rod,

Do you know, i took photos of the layout on Saturday, but never thought to look at the hidden sections!!!  Would quite happily have taken some for you had I realised! Sorry!

Rich

No problem, Rich, but thanks for the thought. I had an idea what these troughs were like and seeing them firmed up my ideas.

Rod

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rod,

I know you've got your trough idea sorted out, but came across this while wandering around rmWeb last night - the idea with the handles I thought might be useful to you, especially for the lightweight, shorter cassettes....

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/18845-cassette-based-fiddle-yard/?p=184502

Edit: Also this is a good way (in my view) of linking cassettes together - i.e. loco and train

Rich

Edited by MarshLane

Hi all.

I think I've done it!!  Here are the videos of the 25s.  First, the 2 locos start up (separately, though the 2nd is hard to hear), the signal clears and they leave the station:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EH7QKwFce40

Next, seen at the other end of the shed, at the trailing crossover:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A83uptLPfqA

On the return run, captured passing the Down Inner Home signal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IjKQW30euo

And finally, arriving at the platform:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxh68QReCCA

Hope you enjoy them.

Rod

• Like 6

Hi all.

I think I've done it!!  Here are the videos of the 25s.  First, the 2 locos start up (separately, though the 2nd is hard to hear), the signal clears and they leave the station:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EH7QKwFce40

Next, seen at the other end of the shed, at the trailing crossover:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A83uptLPfqA

On the return run, captured passing the Down Inner Home signal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IjKQW30euo

And finally, arriving at the platform:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxh68QReCCA

Hope you enjoy them.

Rod

Nice videos Rod,

You've removed the 's' from the 'https' and it still doesn't come up as a video box.

Yet when I do it exactly the same it does........... very strange

When you come to do your scenery (I know you can't wait to get cracking on it!!!), I've just purchased the WWS Static Grass Applicator (Small version), and it covers ground so quickly and easily, and the grass, so far looks good.

Nice 'Rats'. Your JLTRT kit will be good as they're very detailed kits.

Jinty ;)

• Like 4

Hi Jinty.

Could it be something to do with using Microsoft Edge instead of Internet Explorer?   Or Windows 10, perhaps?

I've got the WWS applicator, too.  When I've tried it - off the layout - I'm very impressed with it.  Soon I'll be at it - I have to admit that the teddy bear fur on the outside bit does add a different dimension.  It's just that I feel happier messing about with electrics, trackwork, fettling poorly performing locos and stock, etc.  However, the weather's good, the water's warm, so I should be jumping in!!!

Rod

PS  Those 2x 25s are JLTRT kits - I do like them!!

• Like 1

Hello Rod, those Rats look superb, I have a 25/3 to build, I do have a Heljan 25/1 on pre-order, but what I have seen of the pre-production pics I am not sure about the cab shape on the forth coming Heljan model, I may cancel it yet and go for the JLTRT kit.

Thanks for the videos.

Craig.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all.

It's over 3 weeks since I last posted anything!!  That's due to a week's holiday in Switzerland, followed a few days later by a weekend in a house in North Wales for a family celebration of my birthday, followed by a further few days in a cottage, also in North Wales (nice to see you again, Craig!) but this time just the GF, her dog and me.

Fab time, but no modelling done at all!!  Now it's back to normality, so here's a bit of an update:

My pal building the 25 has virtually completed the bodywork, so now I've got to order the motors and gearboxes for him - I'm planning to use 2x ABC Gears diesel motor gearboxes.  I'm planning to order them tomorrow.

I bought some station lamps from Peter Clark at Doncaster and have measured up the platform for fitting them - they'll not be lit (at the moment anyway - they may get changed later!)

I fitted the power pack to the Coal Tank before I went away and tested it.  I was a bit disappointed at first as it didn't seem to do much.  However, I adjusted the appropriate CV setting and it's better - it overcomes the slight stuttering that was going on.  However, it doesn't hold enough charge to overcome dead sections of track.  How do I know? - more in a minute.  I suspect the ESU power pack is actually meant for smaller, less powerful motors than those we use in 0 gauge: nevertheless, it is an improvement  I'll aim to do a video soon to show the improvement.

Dead section - I ran the Coal Tank over a section of track it wouldn't normally use - over point 22, from the Up line to Platform 2 and the rear siding.  The frog is dead in the reversed (curved) position: when the point is in the normal position, it's fine.  The whole frog is only 2 or 3 mm longer than the wheelbase (driving wheels) of the loco and there's not enough power in the pack to kick it over.  I need to check the wiring but I have a horrible feeling  it might be the microswitch in the Tortoise motor that's not working.  I'll check in a day or two.

The alternative may have to be pickups on the trailing axle of the loco, but we'll see.  Watch this space.  It's not shown up before as all my other powered stock has longer wheelbases.

I'm also looking at getting the backscene to the station built for me, but more of that when things are a bit more concrete.

More soon.

Rod

Edited by Dmudriver
  • Like 3