Finding details on prototype signalling location

All,

From a quick browse of previous responses in here I can see there are quite a few experts out there who might be able to give me a quick steer in the right direction. I am planning a new layout based on Greenhill Upper and Lower junctions in central belt of Scotland set around 1990 time frame. I have been able to lay my hands on the track plans for the current track arrangements but am unclear what changes have been made since 1990 (although failing all else will make a stab based on photos of area). However, currently I have no idea of what the signalling arrangements are/were at this location to replicate them. Does anyone know of anywhere where I could locate drawings of the track / signalling arrangments for this location? Failing that I may post the track layout and get some views from those of you out there who generously share your knowledge on how I should signal it.

Thanks in advance for any guidance,

Matt

Hi Matt,

The 1st edition (93) and 2nd Edition (current) of the quail maps for Greenhill show no changes.

I seem to remember seeing an accident report for a collision at one of the Greenhill junctions on the railway archive site (can't think of the name currently.)

Not sure if the 5 mile diagrams cover Greenhill or not, if they do I'm sure some kind P way type will ensure they drip into your inbox. ;)

HTH

Jeff.

Edit:- I've checked the 5 mile diagrams but there is no signalling info attached to them. Also remembered the accident report site, it's the railway archive. www.railwayarchive.co.uk

link to the accident report containing track dia and signaling.

• RMweb Gold

For some reason my memories of the signalling don't correspond to the plan but given I've been working at Wigan show for the last three days this may be just delirium :blink: - I will take a look at my photos tomorrow, I'm sure there something different on the connecting chord (I think!)

John,

There is a lot more detail that is missed in the accident report diagram - suspect that detail relevent only to the accident (i.e. up line) has been shown. As you suggest there are loops on the down line both on the chord (I think) and also on the main E&G - the latter including 2 engineers sidings).

Jeff,

Thanks for response regarding Quail diagrams. I know that the lower junction was relaid at some point from a diamond crossing to the current arrangement with a crossover. I am having trouble tying down exactly when though - there are plenty of 70s / early 80s photos showing old arrangement and plenty modern photos showing the new arrangement - sounds like it was pre-93 that the change was made then? Given my layout will nominally be based in 1990 but will run stock from 85 to current day, I wil prob go with the new arrangement as it was undertaken earlier than I previously thought.

Thanks everyone for responses.

M

Hi Matt,

The quail map probably doesn't go into enough detail to show the change from double junction to simplified.

If I get a chance I'll have a look in GEOGIS at the age of road, that should (in theory) show when it was last relaid.

Might end up as after christmas thou,

Jeff.

Archived