LNWR miniature semaphore ground signals

Does anyone know if these signals were ever fitted with yellow arms (perhaps in LMS or BR days) to permit passing at danger into a head-shunt or similar? I know that LMS & BR standard round disc types could have yellow stripes to facilitate this, but can't find any information about the LMWR type - Nelson just mentions red arms.

Dave.

• RMweb Gold

Dave,

Regardless of how they painted the arms, such moves must have been permitted out of operational necessity.

Our club's model of "Brinklow" in the west coast mainline has such an arrangement.

Prototype plans show that exit from the yard was controlled by a single ground signal.

This must have been passed at danger for any shunting to occur, even if it was entirely "horse drawn" which may have been the case in LNWR days.

regards,

Steve.

Guest Natalie Graham

According to Richard D Foster's A Pictorial Record of L.N.W.R. Signalling Yellow arms were first fitted to ground signals in July 1929 and the 'system was widely applied in LMS times.' Before that 'drivers were expected to know to which routes the signals applied and under what circumtances they could be passed.'

• RMweb Gold

Does anyone know if these signals were ever fitted with yellow arms (perhaps in LMS or BR days) to permit passing at danger into a head-shunt or similar? I know that LMS & BR standard round disc types could have yellow stripes to facilitate this, but can't find any information about the LMWR type - Nelson just mentions red arms.

Dave.

Yes they were (as Natalie has replied) however the LNWR were not fond of providing many ground signals.

• RMweb Gold

Buxton LNW outbound Ashbourne line platform had two examples of standard tubular post UQ signals, with a small right hand bracket with a miniature LNW LQ arm for crossing to the inbound track - was this a common use?

It was an LMS "thing", my mate has drawings for "attaching an ex LNWR miniature armed shunt signal to a standard post", probably were the extra emphasis that this was a shunt rather than a loop move was required. Sellafield had them and my first (unofficial) signal box, Canning Street North had one for a "bang road" move, aside from these three I would guess there were others.

Archived