Signal post signage

Hi Everyone,

I'm currently constructing the 2 signals for my layout and I'm slightly confused about the post signs included in the kit (ratio). Would either of my signal posts need the D or diamond 'T' signs, and would I need anything else, like telephones etc.?

The line is an ex-MR/LMS/BR heritage branch line so I'm open to practices from different eras. Especially anything that would have been added recently to comply with any new rules.

post-10563-0-49249900-1333966753.gif

Thanks in advance.

The signs are basically to do with whether there is a telephone, plunger or track circuit at the signal or whether the driver of a train held at the signal has to send someone to the signalbox to remind them of the train being there (Rule 55). Full explanation here.

• RMweb Gold

Would either of my signal posts need the D or diamond 'T' signs, and would I need anything else, like telephones etc.?

Put simply, No.

See Edwins link for more information.

• RMweb Gold

Diamonds (sometimes with a T on them) were provided when a track circuit was present, it reminded the driver he didn't need to go / send the fireman to the box to sign the book.

A D sign - (firemans depression plunger or euphemistically a depressed firemans plunger) means there is a plunger provided to remind the signalman of the trains presence.

In your scenario it is unlikely that either would be provided.

Archived