Park Road Loft Layout

fishytrains

• RMweb Gold

More progress on the layout, as well as a few additions to my BR Blue fleet. So I thought I should show them off. First up is my pair of Class 20's. The one on the left is the new Bachmann Collectors Club Class 20 "Redmire". A lovely model, not run it yet, not had the chance! Paired with it is my Hornby Class 20. This one will be repainted into BR Blue and weathered and renumbered. They will form a consist once I have the layout up and running again.

2015-07-17%2009.42.27.jpg

Second up is the Class 105, also Bachmann. This is on a section of the layout that has been given the scenic treatment.

2015-07-17%2009.48.27.jpg

Third up is the Bachmann Class 108 in Blue & Grey. This one is in Lilac Grove station.

2015-07-17%2009.48.48.jpg

Both of these photos show the clear need for a backscene, which is something I am hoping to have started by the time I have to leave these shores for warmer climes!

The final photo shows the approach section for the fiddle yard (foreground), which needs the viaducts to be built and will hide the track bus wire. To the rear is the line into what will be Park Road station. The first viaduct is already built, but in time will be completed. 

2015-07-17%2009.58.00.jpg

I am currently working on the fiddle yard, gluing down the track and preparing to wire it up for DCC. I am taking my time in order to ensure that it is laid properly and will be trouble free when running as it will eventually be beneath Park Road station.

More soon, I hope.

Mike

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Looking realy good Mike :senile:

like the BR blue stock...

Takes me back to my childhood when I used the trains all the time to get anywhere, which is why I realised I should be modelling that era!

Mike

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

A small update as progress has now slowed more than it was - SWMBO is now on holiday so thinks my time has to be filled with other tasks.

Below is a photo of the fiddle yard. The five tracks from the left are fixed and I have now started wiring up the track bus. The one on the right is still loose, so I can add further points and sidings as and when funds allow. I can probably add another 2 or 3 sidings.

image.jpg1.jpg

The very far right track is the return loop. which will also be wired up when chance arises. I have now run in on DC the Class 20 and the Class 105. When time allows the Class 108 will be run in along with the Class 128. I also hope to try one of them out in the fiddle yard to make sure that everything works. Hopefully this will happen before I leave at the end of August.

Mike

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Life is never straight forward is it. Thought I would try out the new section of wiring by switching the controller to the fiddle yard area/ No power to the track. So I tried the original controller in its original place - worked fine, even running a train on the approach to the fiddle yard. Stopped for sustenance went back with a volt meter nothing with either controller and the loco has stopped working. To say the least I am now totally confused and have decided to leave it alone for a few days. This is the point at which I do get disheartened with the hobby! :shout:  :ireful:  :banghead:

Mike

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well after a few days away and a lot of thinking time, I had another go at the wiring and managed to sort out the problem. Partly came about because the original wiring on the other side of the layout was done differently and I had forgotten that I had made that change! Still to prove that it works, I took a couple of dodgy videos on my phone - apologies for the quality!

https://youtu.be/GezTazvHtYY

https://youtu.be/tfGpyX5QlOg

Still a lot of wiring to do, but I do at least feel like I am making some progress again.

MIke

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Back home for Christmas. Managed to get up for a brief time today, long enough to pose my two advent additions behind the Class 24. The loco will be repainted at some point, not sure when yet though!

These are my first Blue & Grey coaches and already they bring back lots of childhood memories!

IMG_0007.jpg

IMG_0008.jpg

I quite like the second image, even though it does show the work I still have to do, in terms of the back scene and tidying up the foreground.

Hopefully I will be able to get some more wiring done over the next few days, and maybe some other work too. 

Mike

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Managed to spend a bit more time on the layout today. Another couple of sections of track wired up to the track bus. I find it is better to do a little at a time, rather than a lot in one go. It seems to be more successful this way. I have also constructed the approach track bridges to the fiddle yard. Well the shells, still need to laminate with brick sheet and fix in place. I have managed to run a train over the bridge to make sure it all works, which it does. No pictures today, but hopefully some soon, before the next gap in work!

Mike

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Finally managed to complete the soldering for the droppers to the fiddle yard today. No photos of that, but ran a train throughout and all worked well. I also managed to build the frames for the approach line to the fiddle yard and the line leaving the return loop from the fiddle yard.

b7c33952663cf35aed004c34c753e3b3.jpg

Still a lot of work to do with this, but I am pleased with the basic structure.

ce76132ba2ea21339d8d7d2059a32bac.jpg

This second shot shows where another possible stream/river/canal will be able to be completed at some point way in the future. I am unlikely to complete any more work on the layout now until I am next home, which may be Easter, or not until the summer, still to be decided. All the best for the New Year and thank you for following my limited efforts.

Mike

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Whilst on my enforced break from the layout I have been mulling over the original return loop and possible fiddle yard. The plan I had thought of I feel is too complex and will require too much construction work, plus the fact that there would have to be changes in level which would be hidden. Overall, I am not sure this is a sensible option. So I had a look at one of my old photos of that corner and it might be possible to create two or possibly three sidings for a mini fiddle yard in this area. As I need to re-lay the track in this area to improve the running, I will look at this properly at that time. When I am at home at Easter I will take a brief look to see what is possible then.

Mike

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Had a brief look at the are in question when I got home yesterday. Need to look at it properly when i have more time and am less tired after travelling home! Might need a little more work than I first thought to create a small fiddle yard at this end of the layout. More when I have had a better look.

Mike

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well having had chance for a better look, the second fiddle yard is not really a possibility, as there is too much woodwork from the loft supports in the way! As I am going to be away again for the next ten weeks, I have time to have a re-think about how I am going to run trains at this end of the layout, as I don't want to do a complete rebuild, or at least not yet!

Not much progress to report, as I just haven't had the time. Hopefully in the summer things will be different.

Mike

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Finally back and with the weather as it is, I might even manage to make some progress. Whilst I have been away I have managed to make some more purchases. 

IMG_0019.jpg

Most of early train travel was from Birmingham New Street, often behind a Class 85, so the layout had to have one! It does now mean I will have to raise a few bridges, as well as fit OHLE equipment, overtime! To start with it does give me an excuse to have the Class 85 pulled by a diesel instead! Behind the loco are some Mark 2e and 2d coaches on the approach to the fiddle yard.

IMG_0020.jpg

This shows the train in Lilac Grove station on the mainline which will be electrified. It will mean I will also be able to run EMU's in the future, once I have purchased a couple of kits and built and painted them!

IMG_0021.jpg

This footbridge will need to be raised a little for clearance sake! I also purchased some plasitkard to complete the viaduct. Unfortunately I managed to order granite sets! It just means that there will be some cobbled sections on the layout, when I have decided where and get around to doing it. Just means I will have to put in another order at some point some. 

Hopefully some more updates soon, although the first task is non photogenic as it will be to finish off the wiring on the track that is currently laid.

Mike

• Like 2