SOLVED - Do I only need two home signals and a ground lever frame

I am currently constructing a new layout (see layouts forum) and wanted to make sure that I am using the correct signals.

1. Would the point nearset the platform would need a locking mechanism cover?
  2. I have 2 2 aspect colour home signals - one just after the bridge for traffic from left to right and one after the platform travelling right to left?
  3. I assume that I need a ground frame and a cabinet for the point nearest the platform, the rest of the points would have their own levers?

Could anyone suggest if my assumptions are correct please?

Thanks Steve

post-8200-0-11864600-1334059832.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Well it depends on the usuals of location, era and so on but I think you could quite resaonably come up with 3 x 'yes' for those questions and be able to defend your choice with ease.

(But the point in the running line and the one connecting to it in the sidings would be worked as a crossover by the ground frame.)

Well it depends on the usuals of location, era and so on but I think you could quite resaonably come up with 3 x 'yes' for those questions and be able to defend your choice with ease.

(But the point in the running line and the one connecting to it in the sidings would be worked as a crossover by the ground frame.)

Thanks Mike, it's EWS era North Wales / Shropshire if that helps.

Steve

I have been thinking, always a dangerous thing to do, it would be nice if traffic from the left could be held at a signal check just beyond the bridge. As the layout is DCC has sound fitted locos, it would add a little extra play value. Is there any way I could justify that.

Thanks in advance Steve

• RMweb Gold

Left as we look at the plan ? - the dotted line under the bridge ?

Yes, but then you need other signals ... :scratch_one-s_head_mini:

Back to square 1 - on the left in rear of the bridge (out of sight) and one on the right in rear of the platform (and out of sight) with a subsidiary to signal moves to the sidings (worked by the ground frame) and have a gpl at the toe of the points or put the running signal with sub aspect at the toe of the points at the end of the platform if you want it 'visible'. Signals could legitimately and 'explainably' be red/green 2 aspect if you want.

Archived