Help with track design

Earl Bathurst

Hi everyone

As some are aware i have had a few problems with my current layout and have come to the point i feel like starting again. This is my first real go for a long time on a big layout and have made many mistakes which i know now next time i wouldnt do and know where i have failed. And i feel i have failed this time and need to start agian. I will now have a lot of work to rip this lot up and salvage asmuch as possible.

What i need help with is a track plan, i want something to go around the shed and also have a spiral which i can use to split the contiuous run over 2 levels. Can anyone help me by seeing ehat i can get in the space which is available?

My shed is 12ftx8ft but dont want the layout boards to be to wide because i find it hard to work on boards that are too wide. Its going to be 00 gauge and the era im modelling is 50s/60s.

I have had great help on here which i find useful and hope ill be as lucky this time with people being able to help me :)

Thanks

No not really the spiral i have is 3ft 6inches. And at present it fits in the corner nearest the door in my shed. ( the 8ft end had the door in the centre) The layout at present is a terminus station it looks good but will install a continuous run next time.

Hi, I think to help your fellow readers of RMWEB help you, an idea of what you would like to achieve may be needed.

You have mentioned a Cornish terminal but are you looking at a certain era, a sleepy branch line, a busy holiday line, a certain type of traffic or stock?

Is there a certain item you want to be included? - Turntable, clay works, harbour, viaduct etc and are there any prototype/ model locations which you feel would be of a similar style to your what you want to acheive?

Hi

I knew there was something i forgot to include in the opening post. I model 50s/60s period cornwall area or somewhere on the somerset and dorset. Can be fictional or real i dont mind. I want a coninuous run so i can watch trains run by. A station with 4 tracks maybe 2 through lines and couple of platforms. and a fiddle yard of some kind but would also want to include my spiral into the new layout so i can extend to another level with another station on a different level. I think i would want to move away from terminous station and see trains running through on secondary main line theme. And a mpd somewhere on the layout would be good to have with a turntable.

Hope this is a bit more info which will be of help.

The other question i cant decide on is do i stick with code 75 or code 100?

The main section of the layout if you go through the door to the shed is on your left

Hi

I knew there was something i forgot to include in the opening post. I model 50s/60s period cornwall area or somewhere on the somerset and dorset. Can be fictional or real i dont mind. I want a coninuous run so i can watch trains run by. A station with 4 tracks maybe 2 through lines and couple of platforms. and a fiddle yard of some kind but would also want to include my spiral into the new layout so i can extend to another level with another station on a different level. I think i would want to move away from terminous station and see trains running through on secondary main line theme. And a mpd somewhere on the layout would be good to have with a turntable.

Hope this is a bit more info which will be of help.

The other question i cant decide on is do i stick with code 75 or code 100?

The main section of the layout if you go through the door to the shed is on your left

Is the spiral something you have made/bought and want to incorporate into a layout or are you open to other suggestions. I.e with 12' x 8' to play with you could run a 1 in 50 incline around two walls to get you up to another level. You could then maybe have your roundy, round on the lower level with a mainline junction leading up the incline to a terminal station. A spiral could limit what you can run up it.

Just a thought.

I know im bit gutted i bought it now. (anyone want to buy a spiral lol)

Tbh the spiral was a big head ache.

Im thinking of going dc for this layout tho. seeing as im really wanting to run 2 contious trains and have a small yard so if i want to shunt then i can.

Well had a rethink of the 4 track and that was me being to ambitious. I have now put my self right and decided to go with a 2 track continous run and a small yard for shunting.

What do you mean got to get the feeling?

Well i have done dcc before but never dc and fancy having a go at dc, my prob is all my points at the moment are live frog so need to learn how to wire dc?

I wouldn't worry at this stage about DCC vs DC as that won't affect the track layout in any way. And actually, the wiring between the 2 is very similar and live frog points are identical.

For me, the first step is to figure out what sort of trains you want to run (passenger, frieght, etc.), when it is set (you've said 50s/60s), and where in the country it will be (roughly).

After that, decide how 'intensive' you want the operating experience to be, which will help determine what sort of facilities would be best. A terminous station or yard forces you to 'do' something frequently to keep trains moving, where a loop lets you sit back. It's possible to mix the two.

Once you have a picture of that, the sort of track plan you're looking for will hopefully become a lot clearer.

• RMweb Gold

Everyone makes the mistake of trying to cram in too much when they first start. If you want an interesting station look at Dulverton I know it was on single track but with the junction for the exe valy line up the line a bit although the exe vally line trains terminated at Dulverton. Another one to look at is Brent on the main line to Plymouth and also the terminus for the Kingsbridge line. These junctions give some operating interest. Lostwithiel with the Fowey trains would be a cornish example.

Don

• 2 weeks later...

My exhibition 00 gauge layout 'Crewlisle' is 8.5 ft x 7.5 ft and is designed for entertainment. Many of you will probably have seen it at the NEC 2009, Alexandra Palace 2011 or Taunton 2011. It always provokes comments as to how much you can get in this area without looking out of place. There is always a minimum of two trains running simultaneously and sometimes as many as four. I am sure a modified version of this plan would give you plenty of flexibility and entertainment whatever region you choose to model. It has something for everyone.

It is representative of a section of the WCML in NW England on three interconnected levels with the mid level a continuous double track mainline with 25 KV OHL equipment, high level has a four platform terminus for 6 coach expresses + steam/diesel sheds + goods yard and the lower level is a reversing loop which goes right under the layout. No space is wasted on a fiddle yard but is replaced by a 14 cartridge exchange system holding complete trains on the reversing loop inside the operating well. Layout is Lenz DCC, track Peco Code 100 + 32 unmodified electro frog points fitted with Peco point motors. Decoders are Hornby, Bachmann, ZTC and 10 ESU sound decoders. At exhibitions the reliability of the track, points and my 'cheap and cheerful' decoders has never been a problem.

There is a track plan and more detailed description on Page 5 of this section 'Layout and Track Design' under the title 'What can I fit in here?' started 10 December 2011. My entry was on 21 Dec

Archived