Rust and Underframe Grot

Hi,

I recently started to weather a few of my wagons, using Humbrol 113 Rust for patches on steel minerals and Railmatch underframe dirt for the chassis. To my eye, the Rust bears no resemblance to the real stuff and even the u/frames don't look right. Suggestions please

Thanks

B

Pheonix precisions do 2 types of rust P950 Light Rust and P951 Dark Rust - I have found these to be good matches for rust on models. As for frame dirt my personal preference is Humbrol 62 Matt Leather mixed with a small amount of either 33 Matt Black (for rolling stock) or 27004 Gunmetal (for locos). Hope these two methods are of use to you.

Pheonix precisions do 2 types of rust P950 Light Rust and P951 Dark Rust - I have found these to be good matches for rust on models. As for frame dirt my personal preference is Humbrol 62 Matt Leather mixed with a small amount of either 33 Matt Black (for rolling stock) or 27004 Gunmetal (for locos). Hope these two methods are of use to you.

Thanks for your advice, I'll give it a go

B

I always think Humbrol 113 looks a bit light so mix with a little black, not measured proportions so every rust patch looks slightly different. For steel minerals I do two lots of dry brushing with different mixes.

Thanks, tried it out today, a big improvement

B

I found weathered coaches only looks right on a fully scenic'ed layout. On a shelf, they look worthless. I sprayed my underframes and ends with a weak concoction of cellulose greyish brown, or cr@p for want of a better description.

But the longer the coaches stoood around on shelves or layouts, the dirtier they got through natural processes and so I now spray underframes, bogies and ends matt black and let nature take its course.

I found weathered coaches only looks right on a fully scenic'ed layout. On a shelf, they look worthless. I sprayed my underframes and ends with a weak concoction of cellulose greyish brown, or cr@p for want of a better description.

But the longer the coaches stoood around on shelves or layouts, the dirtier they got through natural processes and so I now spray underframes, bogies and ends matt black and let nature take its course.

Hi Coachmann,

Thanks for your thoughts on this subject. As show case models, an 'as built' finish may be more appropriate, but I would not dismiss weathered stock as worthless in this context. However my stock is being assembled to run on a scenic layout, portraying a railway as seen in my childhood. I never saw a single vehicle which was as new and most were so grotty as to hide the colours they were painted in. That's what I am trying to replicate.

B

Archived