O gauge newbee

robbostrains

Greetings,am toying with the idea of starting a small layout in O gauge.Nothing fancy just a small shunting layout to start with.Main problem cost! Is it possible to do O gauge"on the cheap" or is it worth spending money to get good locos/ rolling stock?Looking on E-bay the prices of locos are,well to be honest frightening,£100+ for a 0-4-0 loco then there's wagons at £40+Track,points not cheap.There are cheaper 0-4-0 diesel locos around the £35+ and Lima wagons seem fairly cheap but is is worth it in the long run? As the old adage goes "you get what you pay for" Help and advice gratefully accepted !!

• RMweb Gold

How good is your modelling?

handbuilt track (well copperclad sleepered) is way cheaper than RTP for example.

Check out my blog as the whole point is O gauge on a budget. I've just built an ABS whitemetal open wagon for example that I picked up second hand from Ian Morton at the Mansfield show for a tenner. A few quid in paint stripper and a few phone calls and an SAE to the owner of ABS and I has all the missing bits to make up a pretty nice wagon.

Of course Dapol are tempting us with really affordable RTR locos, with the first being a class 08 shunter for £169 if you shop around ;)

• RMweb Gold

Then cast you eyes over my O gauge Scalescenes buildings - blow the OO guage downloads up to O gauge by enlarging to 175% on the printer and scale the card thickness up accordingly. Goods shed for a fiver anyone?

Oh and I thought I'd never build track until a year ago, now I've built a double slip!

If it helps ... O gauge takes up approximately four times the space as the same layout in OO gauge. Therefore, in the same space, you only need about one quarter of the stock and trackwork. Very broadly speaking, O gauge rolling stock is about 4 times the cost of OO - therefore costs are about the same for both gauges in a given space.

... hope that makes sense ..

Regards

Alan

• RMweb Gold

Although prices are high for 0 gauge stock each model seems to have a real presence. For a small shunting layout you will need a loco and some wagons. An 'inglenook' layout needs about eight. I consider SLaters wagons kits to be good value you get all the bits apart from a bit of paint and the solvent. They wake up very nice and are a pleasure to build. The loco is the big issue quality can vary so its always nice to see it running before parting with your money. Building from kits is not that difficult but if you are building the layout perhaps learning to build track (quite easy and saves a lot on turouts) it iss very handy to have a rtr loco so squeeze the piggy bank if you can then build future ones from kits.

Don

edi.t wake? should read make

Having finally bitten the bullet and made the switch to 'O' scale I do sympathise with your sentiments. I'd suggest however that whilst the cost of 'O' stock can certainly appear to be daunting it doesn't have to be. Roughly calculated the stock for my last 'N' gauge layout cost about £600 and for the 'OO' layout that preceded that probably nearer £1000 (...undoubtedly if I include the cost of decoders for all the locos!) - but that wasn't all spent in one hit, more like over about three years! And despite those figures neither layout was that extravagant as I'm limited to 2'6 down the side of a fairly average spare room - dimensions which I've happily discovered will nicely accommodate my first 'O Gauge' layout providing I keep it simple.

What is it about 'O' then? Well... I'd never have contemplated building stock or track in the smaller scales but am happily doing since I up-scaled - but that's more of a testament to the quality of what I'm working with than my abilities I can assure you. The time it takes to build from kits and components helps spread the cost and my very average modelling skills are producing results in the larger scale I'd previously never have anticipated. Realistically I'll be unlikely to have more than one loco (a s/h Heljan Hymek) and half-a-dozen kit-built wagons (total, about £500) by the time I eventually get to the stage of being able to run something and start on the scenics, but that'll be plenty to start with. The pleasure and satisfaction gained in the process is, I'm finding, many, many times greater than anything I've ever achieved from railway modelling before.

The real difference I'm discovering with 'O' is that the results I'm getting feel like I've spent considerably larger amounts than I actually have! If you're tempted, give it a go... I started with a Peco mineral wagon and a similar plastic wagon kit may well be enough to tell you whether the bug's going to bite ...and you can always sell it if it doesn't. Though be warned, O Gauge has a way of getting to you ;-)

David

PS: As other folks are mentioning their threads, and in case you feel like a good chuckle at a beginner's attempts in 7-mil (helped mightily by some generous and infinitely more experienced souls)... it's here ;-)

If it helps ... O gauge takes up approximately four times the space as the same layout in OO gauge. Therefore, in the same space, you only need about one quarter of the stock and trackwork. Very broadly speaking, O gauge rolling stock is about 4 times the cost of OO - therefore costs are about the same for both gauges in a given space.

... hope that makes sense ..

Regards

Alan

very much agree with Alan - also, I find that, as the stock has so much more bulk, a train with a small loco, a couple of wagons and a guard's van feels so much more satisfying than a lot more OO stock. If it is mainline you want then yes, it will cost :)

the best way to have a go might be to buy a wagon or van kit (about £30) and see if it works for you. I have found I can make a lot more in the larger size. Like you, I felt I was mainly good at buildings/scenery, but have started making my own stock - all from cardboard. There seem to be a few of us doing the same, and you can get a good result for the price of a set of slaters wheels. There re also card kits you can buy - Alphagraphix do some as do this company :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/0-Gauge-Garstang-Knott-End-Rly-Salt-Wagons-2-Card-Kit-/290639983960?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item43ab7e3558

I have a thread where I have posted some of my O gauge stuff, including some card rolling stock - and pdfs that you can use to make your own versions - its not the only or the best by a very long way, but I offer it as a very cheap way of starting.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/53004-charlies-yard/

also have made locos using slaters wagon wheels, Hornby cheap mechanisms and card/plasticard. They run ok, well enough to see if you like the scale and cost about £20. They don't measure up to a £200 kit, but were within my limited abilities.

post-11344-0-89227800-1334303789_thumb.jpg

post-11344-0-11890000-1334303842_thumb.jpg

post-11344-0-74109700-1334303876_thumb.jpg

basically all card, basic skills ( cos thats all I got :D )

hope that helps

Andy

O Gauge can be as dear or as cheap as you want it, but as has been said, you need a lot less rolling stock to fill a given space. So it probably works out in the same ball park. It depends what you want. If you want individual vehicles to have presence, it's far better than 00 or N. If you want a main line in a landscape, on the other hand, you need a stately home and cash to match.

My personal chief pleasure is building wagons. I second the recommendation for Slaters and would throw in Parkside too. You can (occasionally) pick up unbuilt kits cheap on Ebay or at exhibitions. The real cost comes when you start detailing them with etched interiors, sprung chassis and fancy brake gear, but this is 'nice to have' rather than 'essential'.

Personally, having moved up from 00/EM/P4 (I tried all three) I wouldn't dream of moving back. But it is very much a personal thing, and there are sound and valid reasons for choosing the smaller scales, depending on what you want to portray.

If it helps, Tower Models are doing a special deal if you buy 6 Parkside kits. If you choose correctly (they have a guide in te Parkside Dundas section) you can get 6 kits for less than £25 each. I know it's a fair initial outlay but it saves you about £5 per kit.

Also, I've noticed that you don't really lose out financially in this scale - well built kits will sell for about the same price, or more, as it costs to buy them, plus you have the pleasure of building and running them. You have absolutely nothing to lose!

If you just want to test the waters, Rails of Sheffield have some Lima and Lowke wagons for auction, which don't usually fetch high prices. You can also pick up a basic Euro or US shunter for about £40 or less. This will definitely get you a feel for the scale then you can update/upgrade at your leisure.

Incidentally, Tower also have a very nice Class 02 kit for about £225 and it's very easy to build (so I've read). You could build and paint this while playing with your cheaper models and building your layout. There's a huge amount of satisfaction in running something you've built yourself.

This area is definitely something I'm going to explore and I've done a fair amount of research. So far, I've bought a couple bargain coaches from a regular toy auction. I've also got myself a basic loco that I'm going to detail and bring up to standard with a kit. Next up are the wagons (almost certainly from Tower with their deal) then start seriously thinking about a portable layout.

Good luck!

Have to agree with all that has been said here. You won't regret the move to 'O' gauge. The mass, weight and momentum of 7mm scale models was the deciding factor for me. It also explains why you can get away with running short trains in a relatively small space - and don't need as much stock as the smaller scales. But be warned - it is very addictive!

Whilst talking about wagon kits, don't forget the Just Like The Real Thing (JLTRT) kits. They're a bit more expensive (not outrageously so - £46.95 for a van kit) but are easy to build and turn into very nice models. They also do a superb Presflo .....

Guest dilbert

Having interests in both 4mm & 7mm scales, there is no financial difference between the two scales. If you have £200 to spend then that remains a constant - the big difference between the two scales is the expectation of what you get for the same amount of money. In 7mm you will do a lot more planning and be a lot less prone to whimisical purchases.

I like building 7mm kits - there are just as many fiddly bits as there are in 4mm, but they're different and I prefer the results of a 7mm kit build.

7mm addicitive ? Oh yes... dilbert

Hi Robbo

If you are coming to the Taunton get-together on the 29th, I'm taking 'Wadebridge 1860s' which is pretty much all made of cornflake packets, stock included. Only the loco's and the wheels are metal. The rest is card, lolly sticks, match sticks (used) hardboard offcuts, etc. All expense spared! I must add, not built by me. I'm just the current custodian.

If you can get hold of Railway Modeller from October 2009 through to April 2010 there's some articles about how it was all done.

Cheers.

Phil

...there are just as many fiddly bits as there are in 4mm, but they're different ...

The main difference of course being that the fiddly bits are slightly larger and therefore slightly easier to find when they ping off onto the carpet (...usually ;-)

David

Just Like The Real Thing (JLTRT) do a superb Presflo .....

Now you cannot mention 'that' Presflo Stephen without at least giving everyone another chance to see a pic'. It's enough to make a corpse who's never heard of railway modelling jump up and start in 7-mil ;-)

Did I mention that I can resist anything except temptation? I've just ordered a JLTRT LMS 12-ton van kit!

David

Hi Robbo

If you are coming to the Taunton get-together on the 29th, I'm taking 'Wadebridge 1860s' which is pretty much all made of cornflake packets, stock included. Only the loco's and the wheels are metal. The rest is card, lolly sticks, match sticks (used) hardboard offcuts, etc. All expense spared! I must add, not built by me. I'm just the current custodian.

If you can get hold of Railway Modeller from October 2009 through to April 2010 there's some articles about how it was all done.

Cheers.

Phil

this is the layout that gave me the impetus to give it a try :) that and the articles about hoow to build the stock. These are my homage to the Bodmin and Wadebridge carriages :

post-11344-0-71296700-1334342199.jpg

post-11344-0-32638600-1334342214.jpg

Well what a great response,have decided to go down the cheap road to start.Got my eye on a couple of Lima wagons and diesels on E-BAY and a couple of Rivarossi diesels.Hopefully will give me a feel for the gauge.Have dabbled in G scale years ago and I had some Faller O gauge but never any British outline.Hopefully if all goes well will try a micro layout to see how I shape!!Always been an admirer of Chris Nevards layouts,Polbrock is one I was thinking of copying.One point few feet of track great little layout to have a go at.As the saying goes "watch this space!"Thanks again for all the input.Will be probably picking your brains,if any one has one!! again,Rob.

Now you cannot mention 'that' Presflo Stephen without at least giving everyone another chance to see a pic'. It's enough to make a corpse who's never heard of railway modelling jump up and start in 7-mil ;-)

What, this one? ;-)

post-1610-0-35156900-1334346106.jpg

Well what a great response,have decided to go down the cheap road to start.Got my eye on a couple of Lima wagons and diesels on E-BAY and a couple of Rivarossi diesels.Hopefully will give me a feel for the gauge.Have dabbled in G scale years ago and I had some Faller O gauge but never any British outline.Hopefully if all goes well will try a micro layout to see how I shape!!Always been an admirer of Chris Nevards layouts,Polbrock is one I was thinking of copying.One point few feet of track great little layout to have a go at.As the saying goes "watch this space!"Thanks again for all the input.Will be probably picking your brains,if any one has one!! again,Rob.

Rob

Good plan. The Lima mineral wagons look nice with some judicious weathering. I had a Lima shunter some years ago and with a new paint job (and weathering) it made a good little industrial shunter. It's amazing what you can do with a few feet of track and scenery. Will certainly "watch this space".

Stephen

Robbo,

I'd agree with all the above sentiments. I would seriously consider going down the kit route. The one great skill you need is patience. I've progressed from the Parkside plastic 'mineral' type kit to the GWR Horsebox type, the Slater's tank wagon (slightly more complex). I've now finished my 3rd all metal wagon kit. I've now built a total of 12 wagon kits and I love kit building so much I've just bought the MMP 08 kit (my first loco). I'm on a budget and it's taken me about 20 months to get to this stage. I thoroughly enjoyed every minute and probably spent less in that time than I would have on a smaller scale. O gauge takes time, it can't be rushed and do about 6-8 hours a week on average.

My long term aim - the 08 will take around 12-18 months to build - is to have a small shunting scene with handbuilt track. Good luck with your endeavours, taking things one step at a time and not rushing is crucial... ...a series of unfortunate mishaps can have any of us considering giving up...

Regards

Stu

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well here we are a month gone by still no joy on getting an cheap O gauge loco on E-Bay.Been out bid in the last few seconds(how do they do that?)Still he who dares as they say.Been a lot of Lima 0-4-0 diesels lately,bit hesitant to get one ,mainly based on my OO gauge Lima locos.They use the same motor don't they?Certainly doesn't look like any familiar diesel I have seen!!Any hints on improving one should I get one?

Well here we are a month gone by still no joy on getting an cheap O gauge loco on E-Bay.Been out bid in the last few seconds(how do they do that?)Still he who dares as they say.Been a lot of Lima 0-4-0 diesels lately,bit hesitant to get one ,mainly based on my OO gauge Lima locos.They use the same motor don't they?Certainly doesn't look like any familiar diesel I have seen!!Any hints on improving one should I get one?

Archived