O gauge newbee

robbostrains

Well here we are a month gone by still no joy on getting an cheap O gauge loco on E-Bay.Been out bid in the last few seconds(how do they do that?)Still he who dares as they say.Been a lot of Lima 0-4-0 diesels lately,bit hesitant to get one ,mainly based on my OO gauge Lima locos.They use the same motor don't they?Certainly doesn't look like any familiar diesel I have seen!!Any hints on improving one should I get one?

Cheap locos do happen occasionally but 'have patience' is probably the best advice. You might be better saving for what you want rather than buying something inferior or not relevant just because you can afford it. As for last-second bidding, it's called sniping (Google it for an explanation).

Dave

Any hints on improving one should I get one?

Hello Robbo, there are a few options out there for both the Triang/Novo Big Big Train Hymek and the Lima Class 33 to upgrade them for better running/looking. You could pick up either locos for less than £50 on ebay.

If you go the Hymek upgrade route there are two options. You could replace the bogies with Prestige10's upgrade for £70, which includes replacement cast bogies and a motor. You will have to buy the wheels from Slaters. They also offer a few more detailing upgrades too.

http://www.prestige10.webeden.co.uk/#/hymek-conversion-kit-7mm/4528844156

There is also a much better (more detailed but more involved) body and/or bogie upgrade kit from PRMRP for £63+. This involves a lot of body mods to make the Hymek much more accurate to the prototype. I have one of these kits that I'm yet to start and you will need a few tools to complete it.

http://www.prmrp.com/accessories.htm

The same company does a similar upgrade kit for the Lima 33, plus they offer kits to change it to a Class 26/27 (same link as above).

Perhaps a good way of doing this, subject to your preferences, would be to get yourself a Triang Hymek from ebay and the Prestige 10 bogie upgrade. That way you'll have a very good running loco with accurate bogies. When you're ready, you can get the PRMRP body upgrade so eventually you'll have a close to prototype, good running loco that you've practically built yourself for about £180. Convert it to DCC with sound for another £100 and you'll as happy as Larry (Larry is a very happy chap, apparently).

Hope this helps.

Steve

Archived