Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Steam locomotive headlamps

Buhar

The December issue of Hornby magazine got me thinking. There was Kingsfield, all trains sporting headlamps (keeping Tony Wright happy) but they seemed overpoweringly big and white, as model lamps so often do (this is not a criticism of that layout, they just stood out in the photos). Later in the issue are the sections on Clans in service, NE branch lines ad the LMS 2Ps, all with photos of the prototype. From those pitcures it's clear that headlamps were actually quite small, sometimes almost indistinct and invariably dirty.

A bit of research brought me to the following conclusions. In BR days, the LMR, ScR, ER and NER generally used square-bodied lamps with the handle fixed front to rear. The WR, different as always, used square lamps with the handle fixed side to side. The SR mostly used discs, but occasionally headlamps (and even more occasionally discs and lamps together), lamp were of the LM/ER tye.

It appears the LMR used dark coloured (black?) lamps up to about 1961-1963 when they moved to white in line with the other regions.

Pre-nationalisation I can only comment on the LMS; it looks like the former LNW section used quite diminutive round-bodied lamps as did the LYR, a tiny handle going front to back. The MR, FR. HR and CR used square lamps, as did the GSW, only the GSW having a handle that was fitted side to side. They were all dark coloured. Lamps appear to be about 10" or 11" tall, excluding the handle, and some a small as 9" (eg types used on ex-LNWR locos).

Photographs taken later in the LMS period show square-bodied lamps pre-dominating, but the occasional picture has both round and square lamps fitted to display the headcode (I've seen the same in a few BR-era photos).

Which brings me to size of the model lamps we are offered, they all seem about 30% to 50% over-scale, especially with that huge handle which looks substantial enough to re-rail the engine if required! I always cut the handle off, I have tried to fit thin fuse wire, but now don't bother with any representation of the handle, but they're still too chunky, does anyone do lamps for 3mm scale?

Please improve on the information above.

For a nice display of the codes see http://www.greatwestern.org.uk/basic16.htm

Other railway companies are available and may provide a more comfortable, direct route to your destination, the value of your copper-capped chimney may go up as well as down.

• RMweb Gold

I have to admit that seeing clean lamps on models always seems 'wrong' to me altough it beats no lamp at all. Mine always receive some weathering which in my own opinion helps to make them seem smaller.

Weathering such things as white loco lamps or similar small detailing parts is simple. When I've got a mottley selection to do - then it's time to sharpen the wood chiselsbiggrin.gif biggrin.gif . Using an oil stone, the chisels get sharpened, and afterwards what's left is a grey oily gunge, that gets 'plastered' on the loco detailing parts, left for a day or so, then the excess is wiped off, what's left is a good weathered oily stain finish.

Two points - first I always paint white headlamps with grey paint - admittedly very pale grey, but I never ever use white pure on any model railway item be it PO wagon lettering, Gresley roofs etc.,

Point two - LNER lamps were round and white with a for and aft hooped handle post about 1936, and this pattern continued on the ER and NER right through to the demise of steam.

The LMS used the Midland pattern lamp which was square with a small forward and back handle. This pattern also changed little until the end of steam although the colour did change to white in the late 50's. What is confusing is the number of photos of LMS and BR Standard locos, particularly in the N which employ LNE pattern lamps (in white) instead of the LMS pattern.

The Southern, when working at night, used a lamp instead of discs which was very similar to the LNER pattern, also in white.

The only really realistic lamps that have ever been on the model market were those made by Kenline in the 1960's. They were basic castings which needed detail added, but were scale and accurately represented the lamps used by the big four. Not sure what happened to them, perhaps somebody knows, but my stock is gradually dwindling!

Finally remember that loco lamps had a red shutter or slide which turned them into tail lamps when working light loco.

http://www.dccconcep..._loco_lamps.htm

These might be just what you are looking for!

Check out the photos!

I can highly recommend this manufacturer personally.

He will send stuff anywhere and it??s always perfectly packaged.

Extremely high quality and very reasonably priced!

A very skilled and conscientious modeller himself, so he what it??s all about!

Then there are the special 'winged' lamps used by the LMS on the streamlined Duchesses.

The only time that I have ever seen these modelled was by Guy Williams in one of his forays into LMS territory.

Bernard

A friend made these for me although I've still to paint them. It's a shame that their loco is such an appalling performer however [in spite of plenty of added weight].......

Tony

DSCF2404.jpg

Archived