Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Joining the Merchant Navy

Well, I haven't been here in a long while but here goes.

The problem

Beaminster Road is set sometime in the mid 50's, this allows the big LMS prototype Co-Co's to rub shoulders with Bulleid's finest whilst the last of the pre-group designs still eke out an existence. Fortunately most stock is readily available but not the original form of Merchant Navy and somewhere in my ABC, I have 35023 underlined in '56 and therefore something needs to happen.

The solution

The easiest route for an original MN is the Golden Arrow Productions kit, the Crownline/PDK is not an option that I would recommend due to issues over its complexity and accuracy.

However if you can be patient, I will be featuring the build of 35023 Holland-Afrika Line from a GAP kit. The locomotive will be in the same condition that I first saw it at Salisbury in the 50's. The build will show the all the parts needed to build the loco including gathering all the information including photos, old articles and plans.

IMG_0655.jpg

The basic parts checklist: (first of many)

GAP resin kit Merchant Navy III series

Hornby light Pacific chassis

Hornby MN tender

Hornby MN trailing bogie

Jackson-Evans etched smoke deflectors #248

Jackson-Evans etched cab windows # 5180

RT models cast foot steps and cylinder drain pipe set

Modelmasters etched nameplate set

Bibliography

Plastic bodied locos - Tim Shackleton - Wild Swan

Locomotives in detail - MN- John Harvey - Ian Allan

The book of the MN's - Richard Derry - Irwell Press

Also visit: Graham Muzzpratt's Merchant Navy page on his excellent blog

Points to watch on Merchant Navy tenders:

The frames of Merchant Navy tenders are shallower, have two brake blocks per wheel (i.e. each wheel has a leading and trailing brake hanger) and the horn guides each have only two fillets at the extreme top and bottom of each horn. The leading edge of the body side is swept round to form the cab entrance. There were originally three capacities of Merchant Navy tender:

5,000 gal., originally built for 35001-10. In cut down form, these tenders can be distinguished by the fact that the top edge of the coal bunker is not curved inwards to merge seamlessly with the tender cab roof, and the angle between the cab roof and bunker side is square cut in plan view.

5,100 gal., originally built for 35011-20. The top edge of the coal bunker is curved over to merge with the tender cab roof and there is a sweeping curve between the cab roof and bunker side in plan view.

6,000 gal., originally built for 35021-30. These tenders are an extended wheelbase (the only Bulleid tender type not to be 6' 6" + 6' 6") version of the 5,100 gal. tender, to which they bear a close family resemblance. They can be distinguished by the short length of the bunker. One of these tenders was rebuilt with a self-weighing body in 1952, and ran as such for 10 years.

By the late 1950s, some of the 5,000 gal. bodies were life expired, and five were replaced with new 5,250 gal. bodies on the original frames. These are distinguished by the straight top edge to the body side - there is no step caused by the fire iron tunnel. The 6,000 gal. self-weighing tender was also rebuilt with an extended version of this body.

Tim,

The 6,000 gal. tenders had a 7'4" & 7'0" wheelbase.

There are a pair of RCTS books on the Locomotives of the Southern Railway, with part 2 dedicated to the Bulleid pacifics.

Anyway - interesting post.

Bill

• 9 months later...

I also have the same kit but it is some way down the list of priorities as I am already trying to finish off the GAP Maunsell diesel shunter and the ex-LSWR G16.

I haven't investigated using the etched brass smoke deflectors, which seem like a good idea. I have also decided to use a Hornby MN chassis and modify the valve gear, rather than the recommended BoB/WC chassis.

Archived