Bust decoder?

caradis

Hi

A few years ago i bought a Bachmann class 25 with sound (32-401ds) from hattons got it home ran it in ect... all good a couple of moths later it stops. so as it was still in warrenty i sent it back to them only to receive it back 2 weeks later with hattons saying they had no problem operating it, a few months later it does it again but this time the lights are locked in one direction and the sound doesnt work. weirdly the motor still functions normaly although not on the same chip address as what was programed and what the lights are suposed to work on. anyone got any ideas for a solution?

Cheers.

right i have sorted cv 19 and the motor and lights now respond to the address i had previously programed it however it looks like the polarity or cv 29 have become switched around and the sound still does not work.

right i have sorted cv 19 and the motor and lights now respond to the address i had previously programed it however it looks like the polarity or cv 29 have become switched around and the sound still does not work.

Check that F1 is on and that F8 isn't. Read the decoder instructions as to Sound On/Off and Mute as these are the two functions you wish to test. F1 is usually on and off and F8 is mute.

This is where it comes in really handy to have a command station throttle that tells you which functions are on or off.

At the top of the thread you said "bought a few years ago". Has this decoder been "reset" by sending it instructions to CV8 ? Some years ago, if you reset a LokSound v3.5 it would go back to "factory" settings, rather than the settings after the sound project was loaded. This could make them appear silent until the CV differences between "factory" and "sound project" were made manually.

Later on, ESU changed the way the LokSound 3.5 projects worked, and "reset" became more sensible, and went back to "after sound project loaded".

So, if this is an older V3.5, and has been subjected to "reset", then the fix is to obtain, check and reset all the CV's associated with sound reproduction. Apart from asking owners for a CV list (someone with the same loco and a user of JMRI/DecoderPro could generate it quickly by reading in all the CV's in the loco), the only way to get it would be through either Bachmann or outside chance that SouthWestDigital would know (as I think they supply most sound projects to Bachmann).

- Nigel

Archived