High Wapping Sidings - Carlisle

I was wondering is anyone could help me with some photo references, or further details of 'High Wapping Sidings' which are just south of Carlisle Citadel and adjacent to the WCML's approach to the station. The sidings are visible from the south end of the station, and of course good old google earth/ maps.

Here are a few links to some images I found on the internet, but I imagine there are more out there, just I've not managed to find them.

37041 rests in High Wapping sidings outside Carlisle Panel waiting its next turn of duty on 8th February 1986 - Michael Dalgleish

British Rail BRCW built 26027 stands in High Wapping sidings outside Carlisle PSB - Clive Barlow

There are a few others of more recent times viewable with a quick screech, and I've dug up some more images with the sidings just viewable in the background. But if anyone could shed some light as to there use (Especially mid 70's, but 60's/80's would also be appreciated), or pop some further links up or even a list a certain plate in a certain book it would all be greatly appreciated.

Matt

• RMweb Gold

Hi Matt,

When I've visited Carlisle, since the early 80s, the sidings have usually been used for locos between turns, the odd steam loco, sometimes a snowplough.

You might like to look the Carlisle images in : http://railwaysofcumbria.fotopic.net/ , one of Ernie Brack's excellent fotopic galleries which has over 150 images of Carlisle's railways.

Hi Matt,

When I've visited Carlisle, since the early 80s, the sidings have usually been used for locos between turns, the odd steam loco, sometimes a snowplough.

You might like to look the Carlisle images in : http://railwaysofcumbria.fotopic.net/ , one of Ernie Brack's excellent fotopic galleries which has over 150 images of Carlisle's railways.

Thanks Dave, excellent link especially the 80's section, although sadly could not see anything further to add re- High Wapping. Likewise from the images I've seen all seam to concur with loco storage. Oddly I believe the google earth image shows a steam loco in the sidings, along with a snowplough.

Thanks for the insight and link.

Matt

Archived