Eggesford box

• RMweb Premium

Took the trip from Banbury to Swanage yesterday, Bittern was superb on the high speed runs, 75mph? , She also stormed through the new forest section on the return Journey. Never be a great fan of A4s until yesterday yould could say I've been Bitte®n, what a wonderful engine. One downside, when we left Wareham on the branch to Swanage the track was very slippery and Bittern stalled it took two attempts backing her up and sanding the rails but what driving!

It was a lovely day out with people turning out in their hundreds to wave at this sleek beauty of a bygone age, thanks to Steam Dreams. Network Rail who played their part in getting Bittern ready and of course Bittern for thrilling us with some superb running. A couple of shots one at Banbury the other at Corfe

post-7211-0-80116800-1334928471_thumb.jpg

post-7211-0-95572100-1334928492_thumb.jpg

I too went on this trip. I thought I would be brave in the morning and photograph it heading south through Kidlington and then a motorbike ride to Radly and get another picture of it there and get on it as well! It worked :declare: Shame we never had more time at Swanage but we were first into the chippy and managed 2 pubs!

Kidlington

post-6766-0-46446500-1334929227.jpg

Radley

post-6766-0-34361700-1334929231.jpg

Mortimer

post-6766-0-18290100-1334929238.jpg

Battledown Flyover

post-6766-0-93363100-1334929223.jpg

Yes I also was on the trip and I have to say Bittern performed faultlessly and magnificantly...as only an Eastern engine can! It was very nostalgic for me and I felt it a privelige to be on board. The way in which the organisers kept everyone informed was excellent and even when Bittern had problems getting up the bank to Furzebrook we were all told what was happening. The engine and traincrew, in fact everybody involved with the organizing of this trip, deserve a big 'pat on the back' for providing such an enjoyable and memorable day out. Those also responsible, including Network Rail, for providing Bittern as a last minute sustitute for Princess Elizabeth should also take a well earned thank-you for making it all happen. As Brian said we had time for F&C and a couple of pints at Swanage!

I wouldn't have missed it for the world!

Archived