7mm Ballast

NSE DAZ

Hi all,

Yet again I am after some advice :yes:

I am looking in to what 7mm ballast is on the market, I know woodland scenics do a coarse grade ballast, is this aimed at the 7mm modeler ?

I have used the woodland scenic medium ballast on my 4mm projects and must say I like it :senile: it was a good representation.

Please could you advise me on your thoughts and possible other 7mm ballast providers.

Many thanks,

Darren NSE DAZ

Hi Darren,

Believe it of not but a lot of the so called " 4mm ballast " looks better laid between 7mm sleepers, mind you some folk on here use cat litter :O , but I do not know what supplier they use but it works out a lot cheaper to buy.

ATB,

Martyn.

• RMweb Premium

Darren

We used Modellers Mate Fine Granite Chippings on Somerset Lane.  (ignore the funny white splodges in front of the Class 05 - that was some over zealous patching!).Much finer than 7mm specific ballast and I wouldn't hesitate to use it again on another project.

post-7686-0-84430600-1335208767_thumb.jpg

Yep, use 4mm ballast, it's just right for 7mm track. I wouldn't worrry too much about the supplier, I picked up some monster bags of 4mm grey ballast at a show ages ago very cheaply and it's lasted me for years. By the time you've run an airbrush over it a few times to tone it down, doesn't matter who's it is. Using the small bags of WS stuff on 7mm will cost you a fortune !! :-)

If you are using PVA to glue down the ballast, what ballast should be avoided to stop the greenish tinge once glued?

I think you will find it's the granite chippings that go green.

Martyn.

Somebody from Scalesevern told me they used chippings from stone quarries, you nead to grade it through small kitchen sieves to get it small enough, very cheap and looks real. I would use Copydex to seal it as it flexies.

Len

• 2 weeks later...

I've always used "the scale below" - for 4mm I've stuck with N gauge ballast, so for 7mm I'll be using OO ballast although i also have some nice beach sand that I've cleaned up that will do nicely for sidings.

I think the ballast itself isn't as important as the weathering that goes on it - I've always liberally applied a diluted 'track grime' with a big brush over everything once laid, glued and set which looks fine to me, plus of course remembering oily patches by signals, buffer stops etc.

I think you will find it's the granite chippings that go green.

Martyn.

As well illustrated in the photo above of Somerset Lane.

The problem with having to overspray any ballast in 7mm is that there is always so much of it. So the weathered appearance is much harder to gain, it often looks like a 5" paint brush has been used. Another vote here for the sieved (unused) kitty litter. I like the idea of being able to lift and transport baseboards without gaining a hernia.

• RMweb Premium

I use a slightly different approach for ballast on light & industrial railways, this will not suit all situations. I don't like granite ballast in model form as it is heavy, reflects loco noise and granite is best kept out of moving parts, so I use cork instead.

I mix interior decorating filler powder (like the old Polyfilla but I use Wilko's brand), add a mix of grey & brown water-based paints (tester pots from above hardware store) to the consistency of custard.

Pour between sleepers and pour in fine granulated cork (0.5-1mm grade from 'The Model Tree Shop' which is in natural cork colour, press this into the filler which will dry and fix it.

When dry, paint with acrylic paints. Suitable for smaller areas. Grass can also be added. Worth a try.....

Archived