Gradients

figworthy

• RMweb Premium

Probably an element of the "how long is a piece of string" type question, but what is the steepest sensible gradient for 009.  I'm envisaging shortish goods trains with small tank locos, basically a quarry type operation, but with track being the journey from quarry to standard gauge railhead.

Thanks

Adrian

Do you already have the stock you intend to run? If so, the simple answer is to take a length of track, place it on a suitable piece of wood, put a typical train on the track and try running it at different inclinations. That's what I did when I started building an HOe layout. I found that small Austrian engines, such as Liliput U class 0-6-2T and 0-4-0 diesel were able to start and pull four bogie coaches/wagons or six to eight four wheel wagons up a 1 in 38 gradient, but that may vary according to how well the stock runs. You also need to take into account the effect of curves, so I tried to ensure no curves were inclined at more than 1 in 50. These figures work for me, but I'd strongly recommend trying it with your own stock if possible before building the layout.

Nick

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Nick.

I do have some stock, but at the moment only one loco (using a Farish 57xx chassis).  This is still in the original DC setup, whereas I'm intending to run it on DCC, so until I get it chipped, it isn't going anywhere.  I'm hoping that the stopping places will be relatively flat, so the gradients should be taken on the run.

Adrian

Word of warning borne out of experience:

With constant/repeated use, the head of the rail tends to get pollished (especially if you use some track-cleaning fluids) and you may find that over time locos start to struggle on a grade with a load that they could previously handle...

Again as D_M said, don't design the gradient to the limit of the loco, allow for some degredation of performance...

Paul

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

At vast expense, I purchased a DC controller and had a play. I have an "H" beam which is quite rigid, so I started adding bits of 2x1 under one end to see what would happen. Running with just the loco, the limit seems to be about 1:7.3, with a loaded wagon (three 00 track gauges) and an empty one, 1:10 was managable. although occasional use of the sanders was needed :) That weight is probably as much as it would get in real use, although spread across a slightly larger number of wagons. Within the limitations of the 5" width on the H beam, I did put a curve in, but that didn't seem to make much difference to what was possible.

Adrian

Archived