Lima motor bogie

MJI

• RMweb Premium

My first rebuilt DMU does not rub well, brushes clean, all lubricated, minimum speed is equivalent to about 20mph.

So how can I get better running from a Lima bogie without spending a lot?

Thanks

Martin

Check the gears for any bits of flash and that they are meshing properly. Also ensure they are run in properly, i.e. 30 mins in each direction on a rolling road. Works for me for the 2 I have. Also have you considered a feedback controller, it makes a big difference in my experience.

• RMweb Premium

Check the gears for any bits of flash and that they are meshing properly. Also ensure they are run in properly, i.e. 30 mins in each direction on a rolling road. Works for me for the 2 I have. Also have you considered a feedback controller, it makes a big difference in my experience.

Controllers - well I have a Gaugemaster D and my sons have my Safety Minor

I will restrip and check the gears properly again.

Thanks

Martin

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Done another now, not great motors, looked at remotoring with a CD tray motor - nice and smooth but not enough power and got very hot.

The second sparks like mad, even though I have thouroughly cleaned it

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Is it the motor itself, or just the pickups? Cleaning the pickups thoroughly makes a huge difference - not just the wheels, dismantle the trailer bogie and clean the wipers that rub against the wheel.axle, and the wheel backs or axles they rub against. What kind of DMU are we talking about, 156 or 117?

• RMweb Premium

B465 Its a 118 converted from a 117, early one as well, it has 20 wheel pickup - but just takes off

B435 runs a bit worse but I haven't finished it yet

Haven't ran B430 for years

• RMweb Premium

How do you get to 20 wheel pick up? Why not pick up off the last 4?

Cheers

Jim

I fitted pickups to the DMS and TCL and through wired all 3 coaches - some pics on my DMU thread

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I've found polishing the commutator helps, making sure the brushes are square and not oil contaminated, along with the motor shafts so they run smoothly within the phosphor bronze bearing, with a little light lubrication. Same goes for the gear train, make sure they mesh properly, and clean away flash etc. plus lubrication of the wheelset axles.

Archived