Stock used for the Pines

A quick question - was asked recently what type of coaches were used on the Pines Express over the years.

Assume it would have been fixed rakes so not have changed that often, or perhaps it did?

Thanks.

second,brake second,composite,brake second,composite, brake second,composite open, restaurant,second open,second, composite,brake composite.

Two sets of stock, both supplied by the L.M.R., as opposed to other inter-regional trains running via the S&DJR which had one set LMR (maroon), and one set SR (green).

The 'Pines' was one of the earliest inter-regionals to go over to Mark 1 stock in the mid-50's, ( I don't have the actual date) from Stanier stock.

From 1961 only stock with Commonwealth bogies were used.

The 'Pines' was one of the earliest inter-regionals to go over to Mark 1 stock in the mid-50's, ( I don't have the actual date) from Stanier stock.

From 1961 only stock with Commonwealth bogies were used.

Whilst the 'Pines' did switch to using Mk1 stock in the '50s, it was sometimes still using some Stanier stock in the '60s. Ivo Peters Vol 3, plate 140, is a picture of the down 'Pines' on 5.8.61 using a mixture of Stanier and Mk1 stock including what looks like a Stanier 12 wheel restuarant car !, and I've found other 1961 and 1962 pictures of it still containing some Stanier stock and Gresley coaches too. The very last 'Pines' had some Gresley coaches.

There's a lovely Norman Lockett photo in the The Somerset & Dorset Railway 1935-1966, pages 70-71, of the down Pines between Devonshire and Combe Down tunnels on 2/10/1950 in which the coaches alternate between blood and custard and crimson liveries. Perhaps deliberately marshalled like this for effect. Don't ask me to identify them, though...

Nick

I have lists of (what I've always thought were) official Pines formations as extracted from WR Carriage Working Notices, for various periods in the late '50s and early '60s provided to me by a well known S&D historian. These show some Stanier stock still rostered until 10.9.61 . From that date only Mk1 stock is rostered, however we know there were loads of exceptions !

What is interesting though, is when I've tried to match these 'official formations' to photographs, I havn't even once managed to tie any up !

second,brake second,composite,brake second,composite, brake second,composite open, restaurant,second open,second, composite,brake composite.

This formation ties up with my 'official' list for 13.6.60 - 11.9.60 down train on Mondays and Fridays only.

The return up train on the Saturday seems to have had the 2nd brake second removed at Bournemouth

Archived