A flour shelter for Horsebridge?

Hellingly station, on which my Horsebridge layout is vaugley based, had a Flour Shelter - protecting the McDougalls products for the mill up the road which despatched goods by rail until the early 50's.

As I've become increasingly disolussioned with the Ratio Goods Shed I bought and built just after Christmas (Nothing wrong with the kit, it's very nice, but it just doesn't really 'fit' with the location and due to the size of it, overpowers one end of the layout), I'm now looking at other options. The current thoughts for the 'Goods Shed' is something of the Provender Store variety, or perhaps the small lockup which existed at the next station up the line, Horam (although this is one of the few Cuckoo Line buildings that doesn't have a scale drawing in the excellent AC Elliott book on the line, which has been my main source of information and inspiration!

Whilst there is a drawing of the flour shelter (a construction based on old rails which was originally used at Battersea before coming down to Sussex) in the aformentioned book, as the layout isn't a strictly acccurate version of Helingly by any stretch of the imagination (that comes in a few years when I have more money and space ;) ), I thought something a little more freelance but with a nod to the original might be a better bet.

A Paint mockup is below:

post-723-0-44551000-1335301137.png

The only thing that isn't on the above drawing there would probably (Opinions please!) be on the model is a ramp (again using the supports from a Wills Halt kit, which I think I have some parts of left over from the 'Hospital' platform, but other than that, I can visualise stacks of flour sitting awaiting the next train and perhaps some barrows awaiting their next turn of duty.

Would be interested in opinons and critique :) - and, as I think I've said before, any photos of Hailsham, Hellingly and Horam stations which might have slipped through my frequent web and book trawls for more inspiration on this little corner of Sussex!

My only suggestion would be that as flour is very weather susceptible (looking out the window at horizontal rain......drought what drought?) maybe slightly more cover would be required? Perhaps the end from which the prevailing wind/rain comes from would be sheeted in.

Roger

My only suggestion would be that as flour is very weather susceptible (looking out the window at horizontal rain......drought what drought?) maybe slightly more cover would be required? Perhaps the end from which the prevailing wind/rain comes from would be sheeted in.

Roger

Many thanks Roger - the 'real thing' on which this is based actually had supports at either side of the track, but no end panelling - perhaps this proved enough weatherproofing?

Maybe I should carry it on 'over the tracks' to emulate this.

Archived