Model Railroader June 2012

Tony_S

• RMweb Gold

There are a number of articles on DCC sound in this issue.

Other articles include a working grade crossing barrier, renovating an old layout and using foam to fill narrow scenic gaps.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Yes I am in the UK but as Jack correctly remarked my Model Railroader is a subscription copy. I paid for a few years in advance when the dollar was last at a good rate to the pound. Normally though the reverse happens when I go on holiday anywhere!

Model Railroader do seem to have the capability to get international mailed subscriptions out quite quickly compared to magazines going" the other way"..

I even forgive their occasional 8 by 4 articles as I have now (thank you, Thamesiders NMRA group!) come to look at everything as a series of 4 by 2 modules.

Tony

Other articles include a working grade crossing barrier...

Tony

Think its a shame the mechanism and operating electronics are not explained in more detail - I appreciate its intended as showing easy consumer applications, but the Tortoise operated barriers look interesting - would have liked more detail on how to set up and adjust movement, and so on.

Maybe our other Tony S (Modelmaker 87) might be persuaded to give us one of his MRJ/super workshops on something similar?

• RMweb Gold

Think its a shame the mechanism and operating electronics are not explained in more detail - I appreciate its intended as showing easy consumer applications, but the Tortoise operated barriers look interesting - would have liked more detail on how to set up and adjust movement, and so on.

Maybe our other Tony S (Modelmaker 87) might be persuaded to give us one of his MRJ/super workshops on something similar?

When I read the article about the barriers I wondered if some of the techie explanations had been edited out. I was looking for a "continued on page,,," or "see our website".

I agree, but I think it's one of those projects where you have to figure out for yourself what's going on and design your own working model through experimentation instead of copying a drawing and then wondering why yours doesn't work.

The PCC Sound article was interesting, but i'll go and have another read as I can't remember the bit where the decoder duplicates the obvious differences between running on paved over trackage versus regular track laid on ballast.

Archived