Oil Drums in 4mm

Was passing the model shop today, and I picked up a pack of the Peco oil drums. Not impressed. Very visible mould lines, convex ends, and made from a really nasty polythene type plastic that won't clean up and I'm 90% certain won't hold paint either.

So, what can you guys and gals recommend as a better model?

• RMweb Gold

Depends on what you want them for I suppose?

These are resin cast ones, intended as a wagon load, they are Harburn (I think) though obviously not painted up here.

p1050449nc6.jpg

Funnily enough I didnt think these were right for this context and I got some erm... Merit ones! I assume these are what you are referring to as Peco as they are 'agency products'

p1050557pp5.jpg they do take weathering- I also 'distressed' some with plasticweld, (put dents in a few)

for this situation I didnt mind the different colours as some where supposed to represent petrol red diesel and lubes respectively!

I've got some 'knightwing' ones stashed away for a future project so they are another option (injected moulded plastic again, but it'd be fair to say they will be a much newer moulding so possibly better/crisper?)Unfortunately they are boxed away for moving or would have got a pic for you.

HTH

Yup, those in the second pic look very much like the ones I picked up, they're labeled Model Scene Accessories by Peco. I need single ones, not wagon loads, to dot around the challenge layout in odd corners. I'll have a google for the Knightwing ones. Ta.

Found the Knightwing ones, certainly better than the ones I have, any better out there?

Not very helpful but I have seen some rather handy HO scale ones from time to time.....

even some metal ones representing open oil drums ..but Im bu88ered if I can think where or when...but they are out there! ;)

As I'm pretending to model in P4, I think using HO ones would probably get me strung up! :D

• RMweb Gold
I'll have a google for the Knightwing ones

Psst: Knightwing drums pricey though, I got mine second hand off the forum classifieds!

Edit: cross-posted :lol: there are stacked ones and individuals then, the ones I have are individual, as you can see from why I used the merit ones I like to spread things about randomly! ;)

Unit Models do some.......

Hmm, I was on their site earlier today looking at their changing room lockers, and I didn't see any oil drums...

Interesting Theoretical Point....Is it better to have decent looking Oil Drums 14% smaller than the traditional size? Or Dog Rough Ones that are "to scale"?

You realise at this rate, I'll end up scratch building them? :D

• RMweb Gold

Well I had a pic of them on the site so copied the URL on to here- opened it again and they gone? wierd???

they are def. on the price list though.

OO-107

Oil drums stacks. One stack of six 45-gallon drums (3 long by 2 wide) and one line of three drums.

??2.75

OO-107P

Oil drums stack. As above but supplied ready painted.

??4.00

OO-108

Oil drums open. Empty 45-gallon oil drums which can be used for a variety of purposes. Three per pack.

??1.75

OO-108P

Oil drums open. As above but supplied ready painted in a variety of colours.

??2.75

OO-109

Oil drums. Castings representing individual 45-gallon oil drums. Six per pack.

??1.75

OO-109P

Oil drums. Three 45-gallon oil drum castings supplied ready painted in a variety of colours.

??2.75

Maybe this will help find them by product code, Pinkmouse you still haven't said whether you want 'individual' drums or a stack? full or empty? :lol: :lol:

Unit models stuff is very good, I wasnt aware of it 'till saw them at an exhibition recently but I'd buy their stuff in future having seen it in the flesh, the prices are good too!

Well I had a pic of them on the site so copied the URL on to here- opened it again and they gone? wierd???

they are def. on the price list though.

I think I'll drop them a line. Could you PM me the pic you have please?

Pinkmouse you still haven't said whether you want 'individual' drums or a stack? full or empty? :lol: :lol:

See post #3. ;)

Unit models stuff is very good, I wasnt aware of it 'till saw them at an exhibition recently but I'd buy their stuff in future having seen it in the flesh, the prices are good too!

The lockers certainly look like what I need, and if they do do oil drums at the moment, that's a decent order coming together.

Guys, shouldn't we be going to bed by now? :D

• RMweb Gold
See post #3.
oh yeah sorry!
Could you PM me the pic you have please?
Yep when I can find it? :blink: Strange!
The lockers certainly look like what I need, and if they do do oil drums at the moment, that's a decent order coming together.

Sounds like an email or phone call is in order.... tomorrow!

Guys, shouldn't we be going to bed by now?

Nah, beds for wimps! - but I work shifts, so dont stay up if your needing to be up early! :lol: :lol: :lol:

• RMweb Gold

Unit Models OO Oil Barrels-right this should link its on page 6 product code for the individuals is OO-109 you can have 'em painted or unpainted, quid cheaper unpainted, again it depends what you are going to do with them?

I suspect they may be out of stock or not ready yet?

- If it was me I'd give them a ring and see what the lie of the land was?

• RMweb Gold

Well done Russ!! :)

I reckon for the little bit extra on a lot of Unit Models stuff I'd go for "painted"....

Yeah its only a quid - shame the pics so small, but as I say I have seen Unit Models stuff a couple of times just recently, they are from my town, and have trade stands at local exhibitions quite a bit, its all nice stuff. If I'd been aware of their presence from the start I'd have bought alot more from them!

• RMweb Premium

Hi Al, Russ and Mickey

Sorry to break into your overnight conversation :D but I'm surprised than as far as I can see, no one has mentioned 10 Commandments who make a huge range of loads and line side equipment. Have a look at http://www.cast-in-stone.co.uk/html/home.html then go to 'catalogue' 4mm section has a page of oil drums including singles (ref W63 pack of 10 for ??3)

Hope that helps

Mike

• RMweb Gold

I used Langley ones on Summat Colliery, they do some nice crushed/dented ones and even an oil drum brazier with an LED "fire" in it biggrin.gif

http://www.langleymo...l%23aF103#aF103

http://www.langleymo...l%23aF218#aF218

http://www.langleymo...l%23aF220#aF220

Here's a little cameo on Summat showing the illuminated brazier

post-6717-12608709878438_thumb.jpg

Morning all!

Well, lots of options. I like the look of the EFE and Langley ones, the Ratio are pretty good too, but as a fifties layout, palletised loads area little out of period, (yes, I know the Yanks first used them in WWII, but they don't seem to appear in pics of the period much ;) ).

A friend from Eridge is going to bring along a couple of the Knightwing ones to the next KAG meet, so I can have a look at them "in the flesh".

Oh and as for Unit Models, it's now 09:40, and they still haven't replied to my email. What is the world coming to? In my day, blah de blah, customer service, blah blah blah... :D :D

See if you can find heavy foil dinner trays(freezer shop, (or washed out after a ready-meal) you need the flat base, an old biro and a ruler. A rubber cutting mat will be needed too. Draw lines pressing down into the foil placed on the cutting mat, at 4mm spacing and cut along the outsideedge of the first and fourth line. Wrap around a 8mm dowel, (ribs outside!)l and cut off with a slight join overlap, stick with superglue. Cut circles of foil or plasticard and stick into one end - you dont need both ends unless they are lying on their sides. A pin head will make a cap. You can make "dented" and "rusty" ones too. Paint in appropriate colours

Archived