Midfords goods yard and siding

Hi, im building a oo gauge garden railway, i havent much room so i thought to model Midford station and area. I would like know if anyone can help me. Towards Bath, there was a small goods yard on the right and towards Bournmouth there was a siding off the right. I was wondering what these were used for. if anyone can help, ill be grateful

As you will see from the other topics, whilst the goods yard by itself makes for a nice 'mini layout', the phrases "I haven't much room" and "I'm thinking of modelling Midford" don't sit well together :nono:

What period are you thinking of modelling?

The general impression is that for much of its later life the Up Siding saw little if any use. One reason probably why it was closed before the end of the line.

• RMweb Gold

not sure yet. why dont they sit well together? i`d thought that would be nice

Hi Aaron, what I think is meant by that is that there is quite some distance between the two small goods yards, with a short tunnel (in reality a long bridge), a bit of railway on a ledge on the hill side, the station itself, and then the viaduct, so if you really don't have much room, you might be hard pressed to fit them all in.

Having said that, you did say it was to be a garden railway, so most gardens are still larger than most rooms, so you may well be in luck! Either way, welcome to RMWeb and good luck with the project :)

ah right, i see what you mean. it was either Midford or Shillingstone. just working it out really. im 27, the S&D had so many engines that i like. you see Bachmann do the buildings for Shillingstone and if i brought them they make a donation to the project.

Did Shillingstone have a goods yard. you lads know more about it than me

Aaron

• RMweb Gold

Yes, there was a small yard at Shillingstone, I see you've mentioned that in the Shillingstone thread. I'll have a think about if there are any track plans on the web, certainly they are published in books, there is one covering track plans of the S&D by Oxford Publishing Company, but long out of print, perhaps you could find a second hand one?

A word of caution... Judge & Potts was good for its day, and certainly I continue to use it for 'quick reference', but...it is a trap for the unwary in that the photographs, plans and signal diagrams for individual locations are often for different periods and therefore do not necessarily match up. However, at first glance the details for Shillingstone seem reasonably OK.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

If it's what I think it is, it will be the reproduction board erected by Simon Castens in the 1980s, when the station was undergoing restoration by him, together with the 2' gauge 'Tucking Mill Tramway' through the platforms. There's a photo of Mike Arlett sitting under the sign on a bench in his hard back book on Midford, published in 1986 by Millstream Books. The sign would have been made by a woodworking friend of Simon's, who helped with various other projects on the site at the time. The site was eventually closed down by the BR Property Board, following complaints from local residents who had taken a dislike to their peace and quiet being slightly disturbed on a small number of occasions.

Archived