CL 108 destination blinds

• RMweb Gold

Hi there

A couple of weeks ago I asked if anyone had found a way of taking out the destination blinds so that the destination can be changed as I'm after changing mine to Skegness <-- --> Nottingham. I've worked out the method of getting to them without breaking my unit. When reading this though, please note that the units aren't necessarily the same, so proceed with caution if you do indeed give it a go.

The steps were:

1. Take the screw out from underneath the drivers cab and run credit cards or similar either side to prize open and then remove the body.
  2. Remove the clear plastic light channel that fits into the front lights with a knife blade or screwdriver. This can be broken easily if you use too much force.
  3. With one hand, slightly pull apart the sides near the cab end and remove the cab with the other hand. It might need a little wiggling.
  4. The front windows been to be removed because they seem to lock in the silvery lighting strip inside the roof. The front windscreen *on mine* is a press fit, so avoiding the windscreen wipers, slowly push it into the cab and remove it. Best way is to push from the opposite end to the wipers and/or push the middle "pane".
  5. Inside the roof is the silvery plastic strip. Remove the screws at both ends and remove the strip.
  6. Using a flat jeweler's screwdriver or similar, prize out the nub of plastic behind the destination blind and remove
  7. Using the flat jeweler's screwdriver push out the blind from the rear.
  8. The destination seems to be printed on thin paper, scrape this off, but remember which side is the front.
  9. Print the new destination onto thin paper and glue, then reverse the steps to reassemble.

I didn't need to use any glue anywhere except for gluing the destination onto the blind as all the parts were press-fit.

Be careful, it's really easy to apply too much pressure on a small part and break something!

Edit: In the second unit the windscreen was properly glued in, so I took a risk and did a bit of tugging of the silver strip. The black plastic at the end is only marginally attached and the whole thing came away. When putting it all back together I shaved some plastic off the back of the smaller black piece and it all went together fine.

I also dispensed with the glazing as I used glossy paper for the signs, and the sign went in with the point of a blade.

• 5 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

Yes, I believe so - it's packed away at the moment - I seem to remember that the destination text is behind a thick piece of clear plastic.

• RMweb Gold

I'm sorry, but I can't honestly remember. Mine won't now because I used photographic paper to create the new destination. I suppose the alternative is to print the destination onto waterslide paper or something similar. If someone else is reading this, hopefully they'll be able to chip in.

Archived