GWR Outside Framed Wagons

Can I ask a question or three, please? I am considering a foray into 3D printing, and thought I might be lazy and try to pick your brains.

1. How thin can you make the sides on the printed wagons?

2. What size, depth & shape to you make the grooves to represent the planks?

3. What size to you make the bolt heads?

Thanks,

Bill

Bill,

In answer to your questions :

1.  The thinnest I've made the sides is 0.8mm, the plank gaps eat into this by 0.2mm, and the strapping, etc extends this.  On my W1/W3 cattle wagons I made the ends 1.2mm thick for increased strength but thinned them where that thickness would be visible in the open sections of the side. post-12089-0-77549700-1373702116.jpgpost-12089-0-99305800-1373702579.jpg

2.  I make my plank gaps 0.125mm high, and 0.2mm deep (into the side)

3.  Most of my bolt heads are 0.2mm squares which I extrude from the side / strapping by 0.125mm (the fact that they are square is not visible on a 2mm scale model - in fact I think that the production process probably makes them slightly rounded anyway)

PS.  The internal strapping on my coal wagons is simply strips of 0.010" plasyicard - I didn't bother putting bolt head impressions in them though.  The drawing I had of the particular Gloucester Wagons modelled did not have diagonal strapping on the outside, Perhaps I should have used Jerry's dots of PVA / super glue t.o represent the bolts on the outside!!

Noel,

If I were drawing up an open wagon I would try thinning down a little more, but for enclosed vehicles extra thickness is not an issue.   Obviously one would have to be aware that because of the plank gaps you could not go to thin as at the very thinnest (where the plank gaps are the sides are only 0.6mm thick anyway).  Obviously slightly thicker sides does give slightly more strength, but of course because you are charged by volume you probably don't want to make anything too thick anyway!!

Ian

I found going below 0.8mm touchy and even 0.8mm in any length is a bit bendy if there is no natural support. So it's fine for curved sides but flat sides either need supporting trussing inside (thicker wall is overkill) or to have something that rigidly stretches it into the box. The met rigid 8 I did uses that approach. It tightly fits around a WSF interior/floor which includes seating. Once assembled it is nice and rigid.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

A few weeks ago I completed the Outside Framed Brake Van.  The W Irons are the RCH ones from the 2mm Association which fit into recesses designed in the backs of the solebars.  Buffers and wheels are from the same source.  The brake gear was fretted out of 2 laminations of 0.010" nickel sheet.  The step boards are fabricated from 0.006" nickel silver sheet soldered to 0.3mm brass wire which in turn is fed into holes designed in the print and secured with super glue (the holes had to be opened up with a drill as the supporting wax had filled most of them.  

Hello Ian

Is there any possibilty of ordering the AA16 Brake Van in 4mm scale from you? I have been contemplating scratch building one but my modelling skills are minimal so getting the body would be a major step forward.

jayell

PS -  if of course you still have that spare whitemetal kit and are willing to sell it ??????

Hello Ian

Is there any possibilty of ordering the AA16 Brake Van in 4mm scale from you? I have been contemplating scratch building one but my modelling skills are minimal so getting the body would be a major step forward.

jayell

PS -  if of course you still have that spare whitemetal kit and are willing to sell it ??????

John,

Unfortunately, the model is not available in 4mm - I only produced the artwork for a 2mm scale version.  I have a vague recollection that DazzlerFan on here was going to do a 4mm version by re-sizing my artwork although I have no idea whether that ever got off the ground.  I do have a D & S kit somewhere up in the loft, if I go up there in the next couple of weeks (for xmas decs) I'll see if I can locate it - If I can I will PM you (but no promises it may not be complete (if it's there it's gone through at least 3 house moves!!)

Ian

John,

Unfortunately, the model is not available in 4mm - I only produced the artwork for a 2mm scale version.  I have a vague recollection that DazzlerFan on here was going to do a 4mm version by re-sizing my artwork although I have no idea whether that ever got off the ground.  I do have a D & S kit somewhere up in the loft, if I go up there in the next couple of weeks (for xmas decs) I'll see if I can locate it - If I can I will PM you (but no promises it may not be complete (if it's there it's gone through at least 3 house moves!!)

Ian

Thanks Ian. I have just ordered a copy of the original dawing from the Archives at York as the photocopy of John Lewis's article on early brake vans in the Railway Journal back in the 1980s isn't clear enough to be usable as the basis for a 4mm scale drawing I could work from for a scratch build. So even if your kit isn't complete it woudl give me a starting base.

Thanks in anticipation

jayell

PS my loft is my workshop as well as a storeroom for stuff like decorations etc.

Archived