Early BR DMU Kits - Recommendations

Alan Kettlewell

I'm keen to have a 7mm early DMU for my early BR layout and would appreciate it if anyone could advise who supplies a kit I can build (building a kit preferred to RTR if possible). I'm thinking a Derby Lightweight / Class 101 would fit the bill, the exact year isn't too important as long it's early BR and BR green period. Can be Midland, NW or NE region but not western or Southern.

Any recommendations for a supplier and info about suitable DMU kits would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Regards

Alan

The Easy Build 108 looks to be a nice kit. I've got one, but haven't started it yet, but on reading the instructions it should go together quite nicely. There are a couple of build threads on here, which might help to give you an overview of construction. The one they have on their display stand looks quite nice too.

I've not seen the Skytrex 101 in the flesh, but some of their other products only vaguely look like the thing they're supposed to represent, so you'd probably want to have a good look at one in the flesh before parting with any cash. One other option for a 101 is the Bachmann Brassworks one, available here:

http://www.tower-models.com/

It needs a lot of work still, ISTR that you have to glaze them yourself. Or Westdale also do a kit, which will require a lot of additional detail work, but builds up into a nice model from what I've seen.

HTH

The Easy Build 108 looks to be a nice kit. I've got one, but haven't started it yet, but on reading the instructions it should go together quite nicely. There are a couple of build threads on here, which might help to give you an overview of construction. The one they have on their display stand looks quite nice too.

I've not seen the Skytrex 101 in the flesh, but some of their other products only vaguely look like the thing they're supposed to represent, so you'd probably want to have a good look at one in the flesh before parting with any cash. One other option for a 101 is the Bachmann Brassworks one, available here:

http://www.tower-models.com/

It needs a lot of work still, ISTR that you have to glaze them yourself. Or Westdale also do a kit, which will require a lot of additional detail work, but builds up into a nice model from what I've seen.

HTH

Overall then I reckon the Easy Build looks favourite. Better get one on my birthday list! Many thanks for the replies.

Regards

Alan

• 2 weeks later...

hi,

Westdale do the derby lightweight DMU, as well as the 101 and 108 etc, they are basic and somewhat dated by todays standards in terms of detail but parts can be obtained from other suppliers to make them acceptable. They form a good base to build from i'm currently doing a class 114 DMU

What is really lacking in the market is a detailed DMU bogie.

hi,

Westdale do the derby lightweight DMU, as well as the 101 and 108 etc, they are basic and somewhat dated by todays standards in terms of detail but parts can be obtained from other suppliers to make them acceptable. They form a good base to build from i'm currently doing a class 114 DMU

What is really lacking in the market is a detailed DMU bogie.

Many thanks. I've more or less decided on the Easybuild and they are going to the GOG show at Harrogate next month so hopefully they might have one there to look at.

Regards

Alan

Archived