Inspection saloon conversion (fictional saloon).

today, i picked up two of these Triang/Hornby non corridor suburban coachs for £2 at a car boot. one of the is going to be restored and painted in London Brick livery to go with my small fleet of industrial Loco's, the other, im planning to convert into an inspectin saloon. ive drawn on the chassis after removing the badly tarnish glazing and glued on roof! to show some of the conversion work i shall do to the coach. i plan to fit end windows and headlights. tail lights will be simple flashing tail lamps. the pics below have some description with them. the final livery will be yellow ends and intercity swallow livery.

post-6736-0-52392300-1336331087_thumb.jpg

number 1 end, showing where the windows will be, headlight and the black line on the end will b e the water filler for the lav. the buffers will be replaced, but unsure wether or not they will be oval.

post-6736-0-32314300-1336331902_thumb.jpg

the number 2 end, the markings on the body side are where the windows will be enlarged for the 'lounge' area, the body area door detail will be removed so the lower bodys under the windows will be flush. bogies will be replaced with Bachmann ones, depending how well the original ones clean up. wheels will be replaced and top hat bearings will be fitted.

post-6736-0-45782700-1336332160_thumb.jpg

two windows on each sind will be filled and the 'white' window to represent the lav. there will be one on both sides. steps will be added under the doors, to allow 'inspectors' to detrain when not in station.

post-6736-0-24435200-1336332322_thumb.jpg

another view if the number 1 end, showing roof vents which will require removing.

work will start when theres room in the works, i.e., on my work bench. ill keep you updated on progress as and when the build commences.

more pics later,

cheers, dan.

Good luck with this, Dan. I'll be following with interest - I've made a start on a similar project, although delayed due to being packed away for a house move. Mine uses a knackered old Dublo 3rd rail tinplate Mk1 and parts from the bits bucket. I daresay yours will look a lot more convincing than mine will, assuming mine gets completed!

Archived