Low Relief Modelling

Thanks for the rear view, Job, half-rendered, eh?

Thos, I think that Greenleaf Street was truly 'Macadamised', that is a fine layer of crushed stone topped with a larger gauge stone, beaten flat with flat-ended baulks of wood fitted with two handles and then sprayed with a hot bituminum spray, topped by a coat of fine crushed stone. I hope to find some drawings of a 'hot tar' boiler somewhere for Bear's End,

I have very faint childhood memories of a waggon with a coal [?] fired boiler drawn by a lorry and a man/men pumping a handle like the ones on American rail-road trollies as another sprayed the hot liquid.

As I supposedly had a 'poorly chest' as a child I clearly remember my mother taking me to stand down-wind and encouraging me to breath deeply and inhale the tar-smoke as it would 'do me good...'

Years later, smoking plain Senior Service or Capstan and playing a trumpet in a band I often thought of her efforts to strengthen my 'bronicles'!

Sorry, hi-jack over.............

Doug

Doug

Don't worry about the hijack, i'm glad the houses have brought some superb old stuff to light.

Sure someone has gained some inspiration from the photos posted!

Rob

The next buidling projects have been completed and these are varuious shops for the raised main street backscene.

The shops are all from the Metcalfe range apart from one rescued Superquick Post Office kit, which had been in use on my dad's former layout and, with the aid of new windows, been given a new lease of life (and a new roof!) on my layout.

The first pic is of 4 completed shops, not glued together, but wired together for the purpose of testing the lighting.

post-7748-0-41744000-1337203326.jpg

The next photo is with the lighting in place and producing a very nice dim glow!

post-7748-0-72767800-1337203330.jpg

Next up is another Metcalfe offering, which has been finished as the local shoe shop.

post-7748-0-67581200-1337203337.jpg

post-7748-0-75438200-1337203352.jpg

The Metcalfe bank is a superb model, which has had lighing added, as per the other models. The size of the windows in crying out for an interior, so this will be added before the building is finished.

post-7748-0-33151800-1337203354.jpg

post-7748-0-71959500-1337203355.jpg

Lastly a photo of the proposed layout of the buildings along the main street, this will be subject to change when other buildings are added.

post-7748-0-29845700-1337203357.jpg

Again, comments are always welcome.

Cheers for looking

Rob

You have made a very nice job of the buildings.

Thank you, the Metcalfe kits go together very easily, only down side is that i have a couple of slight "light leaks" on a cople of the buildings which will need to be sorted.

Rob

Archived