Unidentified train and location

acg5324

• RMweb Premium

p330715052-5.jpg

This is one of those photos that deserves a closer look. An unidentified but named class 47 in early Intercity executive livery. Can't quite make out the name. The train is interesting, Mk2 aircons with a MK3 buffet car in the formation and at the rear what looks like not one but two Mk3 DVT's!

Is this a WCML set off on a summer saturday holiday jaunt?

Location unknown.

Photographer unknown.

Any ideas anyone?

Also lots of new photos added to http://andygibbs.zenfolio.com/

I think the most likely spots are either just west of the site of Chacewater station where the railway curves left and the A30 comes in from the north or possibly - but less likely - just west of Liskeard station after the railway comes past the old Up sidings etc.

Mike, I'd say you are probably closer with your first guess near Chacewater, I've just compared Andy's shot with some that Roger Geach sent me a while ago and the lie of the land looks very similar, although they're taken from slightly further back. I can see why you think it could be west of Liskerad though (actually just west of Moorswater Viaduct to be pedantic!), but I've checked against Roger's published shots of that location and they don't really match. The Liskeard Bypass as it is now (built after Roger had taken his Western shots) does relate to the railway in a similar fashion to Andy's photo, but the outline of the horizon is not the same.

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks for the suggestions.......Chacewater and goggle street view gives me this image

http://g.co/maps/8xchv switch to street view at the green arrow and look NW off the bridge. This is the correct location just off Station Rd near Chacewater.......no train there though!

Archived