Circuit Breakers for NCE Powercab

Sorry if this topic has been posted before, I did search and only found general discussion not a Powercab thread.

Firstly I model n gauge, so do not have massive power draw to consider. I would like to split my station boards into 2 separate power districts as I am sure I will drive into points set against me sometimes, I would like to stop the Powercab overloading as you can do nothing when this happens!

I looked at PSX 1 but they are pricey. Will they cut out before my command station and are there cheaper or DIY options?

The DIY option is penny -pinching and likely to result in tears.

Utter nonsense.

At least with a DIY approach you have complete control over the parameters that govern its operation.

It also depends how many pennies you have to pinch in the first place.

• RMweb Gold

The current incarnation of the MERG DC unit the DC06 works beautifully with PowerCab, it even handles the AutoSW, which it's predecessors didn't.

It's still in testing at the moment, but if you are capable of making a PCB then it works out at less than a tenner .....

For the last 2years on my Pro5 NCE system I have been using Auto Breakers at 1amp from Maplin at around £1.30 each (AK07H 59).

My layout is N gauge, the reason I used these circuit breakers was that if I forgot to change a point and a loco caused a short circuit, parts within the loco overheated before the more professional breakers cut the power. I saw these Maplin breakers being used at a show and tried them out.

All I can say I have never had a problem in 2 years and they work fine for me.

I must admit I have mentioned this method on a forum before and many were against the use of them.

So for the cost of a couple of pounds against £30 -£40 it's worth a try.

Ron

Interesting stuff so far, I could probably construct the MERG one and membership is looking more attractive. Other people have mentioned the auto breakers as a solution before, but as said above there is still debate about that. I have the same concerns about the overheating aspect on locos, hence the post. Agreed the PSX1 AR is very good, but does it switch out at sufficiently low current for N stuff? Forgive my ignorance, I have looked at the instructions for it but am not very technical!

Archived