The Berliner

melmerby

• RMweb Premium

I was once upon a time, (seems like a very long time ago now) one of the pool of Train Conducting Officers. Extremely long days, with quite a harsh alcohol intake, and something called "the metre high club......."

All meals courtesy of chefs and staff from Wagon Lits, not military staff at all. The only military staff working on the train was the armed guard and the Train Conducting Offcier or Train Conducting Warrant Officer.

I never go back anywhere - I like my memories as they are, but a good friend from my Berlin days went on this trip. She said the hotel was very Fawlty Towers, but all in all a good reminisce. She has a programme/guide for me put aside - I wish she'd brought me a few cans of Kindl tho :) Zum Wohl.

Wow, this is one of those elements of the Cold War that I didn't know about. I am fascinated by this period in history and am steadily devouring books and ploughing through the Cold War documentary series on youtube. However it is the little day to day elements, like this, I find the most fascinating.

Thank you very much for the link and M.I.B. thank you for sharing your experience.

• RMweb Premium

It was not known to us ( the operators) as The Berliner - it was either "The Train" or "The BMT" (British Military Train). This infers that the Anericans or the French also had their own military train at some time.

• RMweb Premium

It was not known to us ( the operators) as The Berliner - it was either "The Train" or "The BMT" (British Military Train). This infers that the Anericans or the French also had their own military train at some time.

Don't forget the Russians. They had trains as well as us.

Before 1948 our people in Berlin used to service them.

Bernard

Didn't the American train feature in an Elvis Presley :=O film?

Bill

Archived