Track screws

Am atit agen!

Does anybody know where I can obtain screws of diameter no more than 1.5 mm and a length of 10-12 mm. I have searched the Internet for screw manufacturers but none seem to offer this size. I have Märklin screws but they are only 7 mm long and are no good for my layout. I live abroad but are used to buying on-line.

thats small!, have you tried using self tapping screws in between sleepers with a washer to hold the track down, then ballast/glue wait for it to dry then remove the screw and fill the hole with ballast and glue.

thats if your holding track down anyway

thanks

dan

I have ascertained that Märklin have screws 1.6 mm diameter and of a suitable length, but the head is of the countersunk type. I have discovered a company known as Trainaidsa in India that makes screws of 1.4 mm diameter and, it seems, a flat head. The problem is that I have no Paypal account and I am reluctant to open one for making one purchase only.

I have now been informed by another source that both Tillig and PIKO have appropriate screws, the only problem is to decide between a mushroom head, i.e. flat base or a countersunk type head.

• RMweb Gold

The problem is that I have no Paypal account and I am reluctant to open one for making one purchase only.

Why not? It will be quicker than continuing your search for screws and you will have it if you ever need it again.

I am intending to screw down all the track. I have about 27 metres of track, some of it is on a 6 mm thick baseboard and some on 3 mm thick plywood, some is screwed down (2,2 mm diam. screws) and some is nailed down (various nails). The nails in the plywood tend to work loose. What I want to do is screw the whole lot down with appropriate screws and I am thinking of buying PIKO screws that I can get locally but I am going away for a few days so I shall not be able to visit the shop until I get back.

Archived