Blandford St Mary - tell us what you think

SteveCole

I don't know if the replies to Steve 1980's OP are quite what are quite what he expected, but I'm impressed by the forthright and thoughtful response he got. I presume that the pictures he provided were quick postings to give a general idea and not what we should expect in the magazine. I'd regard them as acceptable as snapshots from an exhibition from such as myself, but not from a professional source. Regarding the layout itself, it looks attractive, and I thank the 'master and others for explaining GWR signalling to one woefully ignorant in such matters...

• RMweb Gold

I don't mind Steve 'following-up' fairly soon after the original post although he might not like my critique of the signals in response and I agree regarding the poor quality of the pics but are we not otherwise generating rather much froth in the teacup?

Firstly I get the iimpression - perhaps wrongly - that Steve is very keen to do his new(?) job and equally I suspect he might not have yet become entirely familiar with the ways and folk of RMweb so his postings and requests might not take the approach many would prefer to see. However on the other hand he is at least canvassing views using an internet resource which seems to me at any rate a new and different approach to model railway publishing which might have something in it if used in the right way. So I'm prepared to give a relative newbie a chance and trust that things will settle into a steadier and ever more fruitful relationship for everyone.

BRM doesn't pay my wages but it is putting something into this site and its founder and that is, I think, good for the hobby and the relationship will hopefully develop to the advantage of all. At the same time warners clearly need to drag BRM out of an increasingly deepening rut and trying a few new ideas might be part of doing that. It is largely, it seems, the comments of RMweb members which have led to BRM being de-bagged so perhaps the new relationship can be used in other ways if we give it a chance?

• RMweb Gold

I'll continue to ignore your increasingly personal attacks on me as being inappropriate.

But I will point out that the bumping of a topic by the OP so soon after asking a question has been generally frowned upon in the help forum and commented on by everyone including Mods. I see no difference to that practice here in the Layouts section which has, up to now, been where the owners of layouts present and declare layouts to the membership. BRM do have their own forum for promoting the magazine and interacting with the membership.

I was not the first to comment on the quality of the photography in the OP and that has been well covered and supplemented by others on this topic. However we have had threads before by others bemoaning the impression that poor photography has on the magazines who usually have professional photographers at their disposal or beck and call. It is something that evidently detracts from both the layout and the magazine.

I also answered the request, but had to borrow some of your invisible ink just so you couldn't see it.

The quality of the photo was not part of my reply (Perhaps you used my special over visible ink to see that in my reply to you ?, I've checked and there is no reference to it in my reply). The point you made to which I replied to was about bumping the topic, IGNORE IT (the bumping) if it bothers you that much, or report it or give a reasoned reply about "leaving it a few days is considered "good form""

I wonder who would have complained first if there was NO interaction from BRM?

• RMweb Gold

Be reight though Dave, there is "interaction" and "interaction"...... BRM (to which I still subscribe) isnt exactly in the top 3 of the four regular model railway magazines is it?...

I just hope it gets better with the RMweb buy out......

Bump, oops sorry to be rude.

I buy MRJ and odd copies of other mags but the BRM (of late) attitude is getting a lot better so maybe, one day, I will take out a subscription. On second thoughts.

I do commend publishers / manufacturers who interact and I'm afraid I don't have patience for those who "have a go" for nothing worse than a bit of over enthusiasm.

Firstly I get the iimpression - perhaps wrongly - that Steve is very keen to do his new(?) job and equally I suspect he might not have yet become entirely familiar with the ways and folk of RMweb so his postings and requests might not take the approach many would prefer to see. However on the other hand he is at least canvassing views using an internet resource which seems to me at any rate a new and different approach to model railway publishing which might have something in it if used in the right way. So I'm prepared to give a relative newbie a chance and trust that things will settle into a steadier and ever more fruitful relationship for everyone.

Agreed Mike.

I get the idea of what Steve is trying to do, and you can't fault the enthusiasm to get involved and build links between forum and magazine but he hasn't gone about it in the best way to get the sort of response desired...

The photos he's used aren't of the highest standard.(comparison with Andy's pics confirms this). They don't show the layout very well, and don't make a good advert for the forthcoming mag article.

The bumping/nagging if it had come from other members or elsewhere on the forum would have got the attention of the Mods.

Possibly we should pause this thread now and allow time for an off-line chat between Andy and Steve about where is most appropriate for these postings and the etiquette of bumping topics, which could sort it to the satisfaction of all?

BRM doesn't pay my wages but it is putting something into this site and its founder and that is, I think, good for the hobby and the relationship will hopefully develop to the advantage of all. At the same time warners clearly need to drag BRM out of an increasingly deepening rut and trying a few new ideas might be part of doing that. It is largely, it seems, the comments of RMweb members which have led to BRM being de-bagged so perhaps the new relationship can be used in other ways if we give it a chance?

Absolutely! - as was said in the thread about the Warners buy-in lets make it a two way relationship and take the opportunity where we can to influence the direction of the mag!

Archived