U.N.I.T Armoured Train

Those of you who've been following my layout thread will know that while my side of the layout is going to be fairly historical, the boyfriend's side is going to have martian fighting machines, ghostly Roman legions and so on. With this in mind, I'm allowing myself a bit of silliness and a bit of a crossover in the form of a U.N.I.T Armoured Train.

Haven't got around to starting work yet, still in the planning phase, but the idea would be for something like this:

UNITTrain.png

Snowplough-armoured carriage with tank turrets-Loco-armoured crew carriage-heavy artillery-anti-aircraft carriage-snowplough

All finished in battleship grey with the U.N.I.T logo where relevant.

• For the loco I'm thinking an J94/Austerity tank, as it's a war department machine to begin with, and should be pretty straightforward to add armour to.
  • For the heavy artillery I have a HO-scale Union Pacific breakdown crane, the idea being to replace the crane arm with a hefty gun barrel. The design of the thing allows for 360 degree traverse, something like this: http://upload.wikime...ecember1940.jpg
  • The tank turrets will probably be Cromwells or similar, as I like the slab-sided look.

However, the stumbling block so far is the anti-aircraft carriage. I'd rather have enclosed turrets, but can't think of any suitable vehicles to steal them from. Any ideas?

Looking forward to seeing this. For anti air why not use the blister turrets found on RAF bombers and rescue launches. They contained 4x Browning machine guns. Or alternativly the quad 50 cal mounts found on numberous allied anti-air vehicles such as half tracks during WW2.

Looking forward to seeing this. For anti air why not use the blister turrets found on RAF bombers and rescue launches. They contained 4x Browning machine guns. Or alternativly the quad 50 cal mounts found on numberous allied anti-air vehicles such as half tracks during WW2.

Ooh, I like the sound of that. Will look into it.

Crusader AA MKII/MKIII had twin 20mm in an enclosed turret.

http://obrigadeiro.b...iiiii-tank.html

Also a good idea. Will have to see if anyone does a kit in 1/72

How about a flat car as a TARDIS landing/launch pad?

Also beware gangs of Cybermen armed with key hammers and crowbars, your armoured train won't be much good without track to run on.

That 20mm would actually be the best option, as it's a gun quite capable of chewing up some significant ground targets too. It didn't have an AP option but did have HE and HE/incendiary so useful against softer targets.

How about a flat car as a TARDIS landing/launch pad?

Also beware gangs of Cybermen armed with key hammers and crowbars, your armoured train won't be much good without track to run on.

I suspect some form of garage for Bessie may also be required.

Archived