Houses in Blurton

I am getting ready to build a few houses for my layout and i want to do the type i lived in as a kid on the council estate at newstead . What i need is for some kind souls that might live in that area or close to take some pics for me of the typical council house so that i can count bricks etc to get measurements and window and door placement :-) If any one is so inclined I would be most pleased :-) Thanks martin

I am getting ready to build a few houses for my layout and i want to do the type i lived in as a kid on the council estate at newstead . What i need is for some kind souls that might live in that area or close to take some pics for me of the typical council house so that i can count bricks etc to get measurements and window and door placement :-) If any one is so inclined I would be most pleased :-) Thanks martin

We're too far away to get photos, but have you thought of contacting the Sentinel; it's just the sort of thing that they love for their Saturday 'Nostalgia-fest'.

http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.uk/people/The%20Sentinel/profile.html appears to be their site. Stoke museum could probably help as well. Which street was it in Blurton- Lynne spent her very early years in Riverside Drive...

We're too far away to get photos, but have you thought of contacting the Sentinel; it's just the sort of thing that they love for their Saturday 'Nostalgia-fest'.

http://www.thisissta...el/profile.html appears to be their site. Stoke museum could probably help as well. Which street was it in Blurton- Lynne spent her very early years in Riverside Drive...

I lived on Wimbourne ave for 17 years :-)

• RMweb Premium
  • RMweb Premium

Hi Martin ,

if you go to the end of the road where it meets waterside drive there are a couple of houses

closer to the road with no walls or fences at the front , these could give you a good enough

view to do a bit of brick counting .

Good luck . :paint:

Hi Martin ,

if you go to the end of the road where it meets waterside drive there are a couple of houses

closer to the road with no walls or fences at the front , these could give you a good enough

view to do a bit of brick counting .

Good luck . :paint:

Thanks mate I just have to either try to remember the window and drain pipe arrangements on the back and sides or wing it :-) you know how us old guys are with memories eh :-)

OH MAN !!!! there are so many good shots here i may have to just go ahead and model the estate as it was in 1960 :-) complete with the butchers shop , newspaper shop and grocery shop and let's not forget the good old Co-Op :-) Thanks guys you have certainly opened pandoras box for me I can see me walking down Wimbourne coming home from school up the road or from a fishing trip to the canal :-)

Thanks a million martin

• 1 month later...

Thanks to all the help i got from the guys on the forum and a mate across the pond here are the first results of the council house i am building . I am making roof tiles from =graph paper and the bodies are embossed plastic mounted onto plain plastic sheet .

post-1016-0-20547800-1340847792_thumb.jpgpost-1016-0-28554100-1340847813_thumb.jpgpost-1016-0-41102000-1340847833_thumb.jpgpost-1016-0-45600100-1340847854_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I lived for 19 years on the "posh estate" on the other side of Trentham road, started off trainspotting at Trentham station which I just have a faint memory of before it was demolished. My wife lived on Waterside drive so I obviously know the area and of course the houses very well. Congratulations on the models, the steel window frames and the look of the houses are spot on. My memory of the colour that the council painted our door was a sort of burgundy red colour and of course privet hedges were everywhere as was the odd overgrown unkempt garden. Great modelling.

That's certainly taken me back a few years.

Kev

I lived for 19 years on the "posh estate" on the other side of Trentham road, started off trainspotting at Trentham station which I just have a faint memory of before it was demolished. My wife lived on Waterside drive so I obviously know the area and of course the houses very well. Congratulations on the models, the steel window frames and the look of the houses are spot on. My memory of the colour that the council painted our door was a sort of burgundy red colour and of course privet hedges were everywhere as was the odd overgrown unkempt garden. Great modelling.

That's certainly taken me back a few years.

Kev

Thank you Kev The old Nostalgia bug has bitten me really hard of late so i have been modeling all the things i remember for my layout . I have had loads of help from old friends and folks on here as well which is much appreciated . I am researching the old Trentham station as possible project this winter , My layout is a bit mish mash but i know what it is supposed to be LMAO !!!

• 2 weeks later...

here is a recent update on the progress of the houses on Newstead/Blurton housing estate where i used to live :-) I still need to add more figures and do a bit more detailing but so far i am happy with the results

post-1016-0-62730100-1345859755_thumb.jpgpost-1016-0-25164200-1345859788_thumb.jpgpost-1016-0-65377100-1345859818_thumb.jpgpost-1016-0-79043100-1345859843_thumb.jpgpost-1016-0-27865900-1345859865_thumb.jpgpost-1016-0-46536900-1345859887_thumb.jpgpost-1016-0-91522500-1345859909_thumb.jpgpost-1016-0-62639100-1345859929_thumb.jpg

Lynne gives her seal of approval; she pointed that what looks like a pair of semis is, in fact four flats. The 'normal' front door served the ground floor one, whilst a door around the side served the first floor. Her aunt and uncle still live in one there.

If I have one (very slight) criticism, it's that the roof do seem a bit on the shiny side- has it just tipped down, perhaps?

• RMweb Gold

Lynne gives her seal of approval; she pointed that what looks like a pair of semis is, in fact four flats. The 'normal' front door served the ground floor one, whilst a door around the side served the first floor. Her aunt and uncle still live in one there.

We used to call those "maisonettes". There are some in Swan Mill Gardens, not far from Deepdene station on the Redhill-Reading line.

Thanks guys the roof is actually flat not shiny must have been the camera angle and flash ??? Yeah I wish i had used a bit of common on those but i was in a bit of a rush and was fighting off a wee moggie that was showing too much interest in the proceedings !!!!! The house are just basic semi detached jobbies two complete homes stuck together nice bits of work though we lived quit comfy all things considered . Does anyone remember brookfields the big toy shop up near Longton ??

Martin

Brookfields hardware is still there on the oppposite side of the road to where the toy shop was. I remember they had a fantastic selection of model railway (read train set) bits on the left as you went in.

Tell me Old Knotty, who had a big swimming pool in the back garden when you were there, I had to make do with the Mill Pond on the Maggie road estate?

Cheers

Kev

Brookfields hardware is still there on the oppposite side of the road to where the toy shop was. I remember they had a fantastic selection of model railway (read train set) bits on the left as you went in.

Tell me Old Knotty, who had a big swimming pool in the back garden when you were there, I had to make do with the Mill Pond on the Maggie road estate?

Actually no body did back then but i think there maybe a few these days :-) I added that for my American friends who instantly recognize it as a recreation area complete with grill etc .I do believe it is called artistic license :-)

Martin

Cheers

Kev

I remember that when you walked in the door there was a big kit display in the middle of the entrance , I also remember collecting a lot of brittains garden stuff at the time as well as Airfix car kits of the era , cannot find them these days though

Archived