Notch up or down

arnosvale

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me how the notch up or down on F14 and F15 is supposed to work? I have a Bachmann controller and also an NEC one. I have factory fitted sound chips and also chips fitted by Olivias but nothing seems to change the engine sound if I press the keys. What is notch up supposed to do? I have read that people use it to make the "driving experience" more realistic. Any help to save me throwing my dynamis at the cat!!!

Regards Steve

Hi Steve,

Bad news, I'm afraid! I suspect that your Dynamis won't have that many functions and it is quite possible that your NCE won't have either! I know my NCE doesn't, well - I can't get it to go past F12 anyway!

Always worth having a good old hunt through the appropriate manuals just to be sure though.

With any luck, someone may well be able to correct me on this - which would be useful to me!

Cheers,

John E.

Mornin'

This may help you with notching.

Below is what I did to enable notching on SWD V3.5 Diesel chips.

Notch up to F7 set CVs 183/186 to value 64

Notch down to F8 set CVs 189/192 to value 128.

I used F7/8 because they were AUX1/2 ( vacant ) on the chips. It may depend whether the project has notching, if at all, but I could be wrong here.

As said, this may only apply to SWD V3.5 projects so usual disclaimers apply.

You can of course change CVs 11 to 20 on Dynamis using the function shift key. I set my mute function to F13

HTH

Steve

P.S. Don't take it out on the cat!!

Hi Steve,

Bad news, I'm afraid! I suspect that your Dynamis won't have that many functions and it is quite possible that your NCE won't have either! I know my NCE doesn't, well - I can't get it to go past F12 anyway!

Always worth having a good old hunt through the appropriate manuals just to be sure though.

With any luck, someone may well be able to correct me on this - which would be useful to me!

Cheers,

John E.

Pressing the option button once will bring up F10-19 and you then press 9 to enter F19 or 2 for function 12. Pressing the option button again will enable you to select F20-28 and again pressing 2 will take you F22 or 6 will give you F26.

Pressing the option button once will bring up F10-19 and you then press 9 to enter F19 or 2 for function 12. Pressing the option button again will enable you to select F20-28 and again pressing 2 will take you F22 or 6 will give you F26.

The NCE 'option' buton is configurable (see the manual) and my not be set up to give the higher functions. Mine does, but I had to set it that way, I don't think it is the default.

Worth checking what happens on the display when option is pressed and if different from above, check out the manual for how to configure it.

Kind regards,

Paul

What is "Notch up" ? Its a feature which will cause the diesel engine sound to increase in power/revs and get louder. It simulates moving the power lever in the driver's cab. It's called "notch" due to US locos which have an indented (notched) control with specific positions, rather than a gradual throttle lever.

Why does Notch Up not work ? For Notching to work, it must be present in the decoder sound project. If the sound developer didn't include it, or if the sound chip doesn't support it, then it doesn't work.

The majority of UK sound chips are ESU LokSound. In the V3.5, Notching was an option for the developer of the sound project. With the V4.0, ESU disabled Notching for a long time. Notching was finally restored in the development tools for ESU in April 2012. So, the vast majority of ESU V4 sound projects on sale currently (May 2012) will pre-date the April software change, and won't have notching.

The allocation of which keys control Notching can be changed by CV changes in both ESU V3.5 and V4 decoders.

- Nigel

I have set up notching on some locomotives that previously weren't set up for it, using Decoder Pro (free) software linked to my NCE Power Pro (or the Power Cab) to make it easy. Steve (Carnforth) is perfectly correct in setting it up using CVs (I'm not, in any way, contradicting what he said earlier) but Decoder Pro makes it simpler because one can simply tick checkboxes for the function numbers one wishes to use.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the sound (No pun intended) advice I found waiting for me on my return. My Dynamis does provide functions above F10 and Olivias and T

rains on time set notching on F14 and F15 respectively . It just doesn't seem to work. I have a function on my NEC to go above F10 as well. I will try resetting the values as per Carnforths advice. Last time I took a loco back to Olivias It worked faultlessly and made me feel a right nit. I will persevere and the cat has reappeared so onwards and upwards.

Regards Steve

Archived